Mr Coach
Years ago

When should I call it quits

Some debate on the junior site stating some coaches should call it quits for the good of the club or are they living in yesteryear.
My question is when should they call it a day. Well credentialed coaches not achieving...I ask you all for an opinion...

Topic #7366 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not going to put myself up as being knowledgeable in this area, but would it be appropriate for someone to move into a different area of coaching rather than giving it up altogether?

Or is the cycling of coaches useful?

Reply #82857 | Report this post

Tonight's Thought  
Years ago

If you are bored, quit.
If it is tiring, quit.
If it is tedious, monotonous, soul sapping or destroying, tiring, uninspiring, too much like work and not fun anymore, quit.

If you LOVE it, stay.
If you are excited, stay.
If you enjoy helping, building, developing, moulding, encouraging and achieving success for OTHERS, STAY!

Seek good and wise counsel, always communicate with your players, ask for feedback and be proactive.

When??..... how long is a piece of string......

Reply #82859 | Report this post

Mr Coach  
Years ago

Thats good Tonights thought BUT what happens if that person hasnt realised this, he has great credentials but doesnt realise he is the problem and should move despite having dream players who under achieve?

Reply #82863 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Are we talking about Juniors here???

Reply #82866 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

When should I call it quits never! Keep coaching and out last the players they will move on before the coach does.

Reply #82873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Coach,
If that is the case, it is up to the people who appoint the coaches, the Junior Coaching Directors/Basketball Managers/insert title here.

If they believe they are doing a good job, maybe they are, as they are highly knowledgable about basketball, are you?

Reply #82914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you dont enjoy it any more. Its a game, it should be fun for players AND coaches.

Winning games is not the mark of a good coach or if you should quit or not. Winning games comes down to the hand you are delt.

Reply #82938 | Report this post

Mr Coach  
Years ago

Why do people think that questions like these cause problems....its just a question for god sake Mr (#82914) I just wanted to know thoughts thats all...boy are some people fickle...thanks to all those others who are constructive.

Reply #82943 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Junior coaches are always hard to find, regardless of the sport. If it's something that you have a passion for but feel a little stale, then maybe a change from boys to girls or offer your services to another club to revitilise your passion.

I'm sure to club appreciates you and your knowledge of the game.

If you're concerned that your methods are out-dated, then go watch a senior squad train and take onboard, new drills or new plays.

Reply #82952 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

I will coach for as long as I feel the players find me relevant and I enjoy what I do.
I would expect to be grey haired and wrinkly before I stop.

Reply #82953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damage but you are grey haired and wrinkly!

Reply #82961 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

That was the line I missed !!

Thanks, it must be time to retire...again!!
It seems from other posts that not a bad option.

Reply #82964 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

If you are coaching and you have respect of all parents, no snickering, think umpires are looking after you, it is yime to go, cos you have lost your marbles

Reply #82982 | Report this post

give it away  
Years ago

People / coaches just dont get the message do they...well credentialed coaches hanging around producing nothing just to support their free time and ego's, every club has them especially Norwood dont they Damien

Reply #83002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"producing nothing just to support their free time and ego's"

More "constructive" criticism huh?...

Reply #83003 | Report this post

Mr Coach  
Years ago

I am looking for simple answers thats all...this is not about slashing people

Reply #83004 | Report this post

give it away  
Years ago

Correct constructive is good..get that Damien...bye

Reply #83005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it away

what is your gripe, if your not a player, it doesnt affect you what damien does!

Reply #83008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its just that they or their kid was just crap and couldnt make the cut. Get a life, work harder and acquire the skills to become a winner.

Reply #83010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give it away = loser. Nice to blame other people for YOUR failures in life?

Reply #83013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia does not get the best pout of the most experienced coaches.
In the States you coach till your 60's.
Why shouldnt our coaches continue till there older.

Reply #83022 | Report this post

give it away  
Years ago

give it away = loser. Nice to blame other people for YOUR failures in life? signed loser = Damien

Reply #83030 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

If your talking junior coaches, well they dont get paid (most) so they are volunteering, why would you want someone to stop doing that. Ok if a div 1 coach doesnt have the skills he once had then maybe give him a go with a div 2/3 side and let someone else step up.

Reply #83036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give it away. I am not Damien. People like you just make me laugh and actually make me feel sorry for you. Just unload that large chip off your shoulder and blame someone else for your failures in life!

Reply #83060 | Report this post

RK  
Years ago

Well after reading all of this I've quit tonight!

Reply #83153 | Report this post

odin  
Years ago

My 2 cents is they should continue coaching until they no longer enjoy it. Clubs need to try out and develop coaches as well as players. Coaches like players strive for the div 1 spot. which needs to go to the coaches that are performing not neccessarily the one that once performed.(past tense) Also a stint in the lower divs has the same effect on coaches as it does on players, to either prove themselves or establish a new position in the lower ranks.

Reply #83156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok what about State Coaches if they continiue to Fail even if they had a dream team last year...u18 metro girls,,,but they still persist...now thats a bad choice by whom?

Reply #83323 | Report this post

anon anon  
Years ago

You should quit when:

you start following players up in age groups rather than letting them go on and learn from different coaches.

you keep coaching the same group of players but arent taking them forward in skill level

you are spending way too much time with the parents, doing what they say and not what is best for the club/team

you talk about your past success, but dont have current success

Reply #83466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#83466) You are spot on....pity people dont follow what you have said

Reply #83510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well when your players dont take you seriously and club brings in another coach just to make sure things dont get out of hand, oh and when no players want to come to the club because of that coachs success, or are leaving because of their ability, thats when you call it quits. not talking about any particular coach from any under 20s team in particular

Reply #83586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey lets see how the State Coaches go...especially under 18 metro girls....will it be time

Reply #84610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The beauty is that it will be played out in front of us all.

The hardest thing , I would imagine, coaching in front of a home crowd, this will be second time for one coach.

Reply #84628 | Report this post

oprah  
Years ago

Get off his back for christ sake whether you like him or not hes a good guy and what you disrespectful morons do is put down someone who does the job for nothing. You should all be ashamed and think about how you would like people to do this to you.

Reply #84683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he doesn't get results....take your hand off it and smell the truth

Reply #84696 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Anon 84696, You are nobody in Basketball and always will be. There will be no pressure on Damien this year because his team is not expected to do anything special. If he does get a medal that will be great if not nothing lost. I find it funny that you keep coming on here as anonymous, and make these petty snipes at him but there is no name to your posts. I am sure you will be at all his games hoping he looses. People like you are the soul reason that Basketball in this state never goes forward. Watching that team he had last year in the Grand Final was an embarrassement because of the behaviour of a certain player in the GF. I suppose thats why she is a nobody now when it comes to a National level. Damiens hardest job last year was keeping the egos of some of the players in check. Maybe if he didn't have to do that all the time then he would have had more time to coach and perhaps get that gold! Either way I hope he and the girls do well this year in Adelaide

Reply #84738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so you have just admitted he is not the man for the job...

Reply #84746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave,

Could not agree more. If coaches had support from players parents and friends rather than the S**t baggin they get. Which can be well seen on this forum the team would have done better last year. A number of the girls ion last years team were playing for themselves and not for the team. It is becasue people like #84696 think that they know more about what is "going on" at National and International level than somebody like Damien who has done more than you will ever do.

The team lost because some people thought they should be getting more opportunity without putting in the effort. Rather than blaming the coach, people need to styart expecting the players to pull their share of the load. Using the coach as the cop out is the exact reason that the team did not succeed. And it has been the same players over a number of years that have used the coach, and other things as the excuse rather than looking in the mirror.

What people here don't understand is that Basketball is strong in other States as well. And that the kids in other States are doing just as well in their own comp, as the kids in this State. That if the team were to do what Damien or any other State coach asks they would win. But other people want to fill these kids heads with crap about how good they are and how the coach is the only person holding them back. And that if somebody tells them they are doing something wrong then don't listen because you are perfect.

Blame those that are pulling down the walls not the coach trying to hold them up.

Reply #84747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I agree with your comments and support everything you have said but by me saying that he was wrong is a reflection on what you just said. Dont get me wrong Damien is a great person but he can not allow this to happen. the girls may have been good but who selects them...Why not select a team and leave these girls out then...Dont you think they would learn quickly...Sorry the coach must get the wrap becasue he made a bad choice. He will live with that and be judged. Yes the coach sorry.

Reply #84781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice people are in basketball and that gets in the way of results sometimes....
Coaches have to be accountable, the real facts of life...sorry I havent met the guy

Reply #84782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are nothing but a coward.

Reply #84787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

facts are a guide, if one day you learn how to read try looking over them..people will be judged by what they produce THATS LIFE Mr nice guy

Reply #84808 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

i think if ur team and the parents are happy with you,stay on. well thats how i think. succes is part of keeping them happy!

Reply #86070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congradulations to Damien and the girls on winning Bronze. Shows that some people don't know shit!

Reply #88638 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Ditto

Reply #88648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a lotta people dont know shit good on ya damo

Reply #88659 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Knew this post would come back to haunt people! Knew people would dig up too.....

Reply #88662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754