Anonymous
Years ago

What would you rather Win

Just wondering what people would rather win ...

State Champs And go on to the classics

Or the Winter Season ??/

Intrested to hear peoples thoughts

Topic #7379 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe State Champs does not reflect the season....It was held over one weekend, and at the beginning of the winter season. You may have an injury or just have a bad game or not up with team plays or structure...Summer season is about finding the players best suited for the winter season or Div 1 and then 6 weeks later you have State Champs...Lets be honets it's about BASA getting money to fund the sizers pre-season trips.
I think its like the pre-season football trophy doesnt mean much other than getting ivited to the classics.

The winter premiership season shows a progression of your team for the entire season, this giving the players time to build and gather momentum. The premier team in my opinion is the winter season they deserve the points.

Reply #83031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to disagree to some point,

That is like saying that a college team is better of winning their conference season rather than their conference tournament.

Agreed that the timing of State Champs is a little early, but a tournament shows things that a season doesn't. Like what teams are able to back up, what coaches are able to rest players for the next game, team depth and who is able to perform when they are tired.

Plus State Champs has a award for the Champion Club. IMHO this shows who is willing to make a sacrifice for their club rather than just for personal glory. Which is a big deal because it is severly lacking in basketball now days.

Reply #83041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ALL about the State Champs.

doesnt mean much other than getting ivited to the classics.

Other than getting to the most prestigious club tournament possible (except for U14s)?
Other than gaining points towards champion boy/girl/overall club?

I look at it like this. The seasons are used to develop players, improve their skill levels, and give everyone the chance to play. At State Champs, you try to win. Would I love to win Winter Season? Hell yes. But if you said I could only win one of the 3 per year (summer, winter, state champs), it'd be State Champs every time.

Reply #83047 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

State Champs by a mile. Everything rides on it, including nationals and Classic qualification, Champion Club awards etc. End of winter season is next on the list of importance but after Classics we are already preparing for next May/June and do more long-term development work (except for 14's if we qualify) between Classics and end of winter season.

Reply #83051 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

State Champs any day - it is all about the CLUB and not just success of the team.

Reply #83057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

winter season hands down. State champs has too many other factors which may advantage/disadvantage teams and not give them a chance to perform over an extended period.

Reply #83058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most Highly regard torphy a junior district team can win in the classics tournament ... playing agaisnt the best teams from around the country .. to get to this tournment you need to win state champs .. Winter is a inportant season no doubt about it .. but the most highly regard is the classic and in order to get there so you need to Win states .. so for me state champs over the winter season

Reply #83126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most Highly regard torphy a junior district team can win in the classics tournament ... playing agaisnt the best teams from around the country .. to get to this tournment you need to win state champs .. Winter is a inportant season no doubt about it .. but the most highly regard is the classic and in order to get there so you need to Win states .. so for me state champs over the winter season

Reply #83127 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

State Champs not an accurate reflection of season.

Reply #83152 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

It depends on where you are coaching. From U12 - U18 you would want to win states and then go to the classics. After that to win states its just another tournament. As there is no classic for U20's. So if you coach U20 the season is important. However having said that what is the benifit of this comp on a friday night? Either players are playing ABA and do not want to play and the rest could get a game in senior div whatever. I think its waist of time and just another way for BSA to make money on a firday night. Having said that I think you would find that this comp would lose more then its makes. So scrap it and push the players up to the senior comps if they want to play. IMO I believe a revamp for states should be done again and it should be for U12 - U18 only.

Reply #83319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think ull find many of the younger kids in mens or womens squads love to go out on a friday night at u20's games hav a bit of fun with mates and get a chance to play big minutes and really hav a shot and being dominant as many dont get these opportunities at senior levels

Reply #140186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:19 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754