Anonymous
Years ago

U18 girls state team announced

Heard that it was announced today....

anyone got the news about ins and outs??

Topic #7409 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jodie, Jess k, Jess M, Lauren, Nicole, Alice, Kara, Kirsty W, Jamie and Alana

Reply #83347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow, some surprises there

Reply #83351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surprising not to see porter, sterrey or adamak on the list

Reply #83352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apparently they are too 'injured' to be in the team.

Reply #83357 | Report this post

outraged  
Years ago

A very suprising team announcment. I was under the impression that Damian was going for a shooting team. Interesting that one of the best shooters out there (Adamek) didn't make it. Very suprising.

Reply #83359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i understand that there are risks involved including players that have been injured, but kirsten is now back playing apparantly with little trouble.

Surely in this situation you have to include the better player because at this stage they look as though they would be able to play by the time nationals comes around. if not, thats what reserves are for. look at the u/18 boys team

Reply #83360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe alana being a first year has something to do with the decision? thinking ahead perhaps
don't agree but would explain alot

Reply #83363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bottom line - amy and kirsten should be in the team.

Reply #83365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Amy and Kirsten have only themselves, their club and their club coach to blame.

Anybody and I mean ANYBODY who expects to, not train for their State sessions. Not train for their SASI session, and then play State Champs for their club are kidding themsaelves. Then if they go and miss more State and SASI sessions, they will NOT make State teams no matter how good they think they are.

And the fact that people want to come on here, AGAIN after the exect same thing happened with the boys and cry foul shows that the parents, club coaches and players have not worked out the level of commitment that State coaches expects.

People need to take a long hard look at the advice they are giving these kids.

Reply #83382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, right on, especially if its their knee!

Reply #83383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was under the impression Amy had done everything required until a recent injury at State Champs, which has caused her to miss the past couple of weeks, she has made it back from a reconstruction and she get crucified for that

kirsten has missed that past couple months after an injury at netball nationals, bad timing i guess, but she is back now and the team has minimal height....

both of them would run thru brick walls for their teams... a very strange decision considering how many girls have sat our sessions for niggling injuries all this year (often just to rest to play some aba)

Reply #83384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How miss informed are you!

Amy has done a magnificent job of recovering from a knee reconstruction. But that has nothing to do with a State team selection in my opinion. But rather choices made by players regarding putting club games importance in front of State team trainigs.

If players do not train the week before State Champs due to injury. But then are able to play in everygame at State Champs. Then again are unable to train the week after the State Champs. It is very easy for a coach to perceive that they are just not putting in at training. If that is running through a brick wall for your State Team then you have got to be crazy. And what is worse is that their coach allowed them to play and should take responsibility for they current situation.

It is people like you who try to justify these types of poor decisions about what is important that cause kids like these to miss out on opportunities.

I for one would have been dissapointed if players were able to make these types of decisions and still make a State team. Well done to Damien on selecting players who have shown the type of unselfish attitude that should be rewarded.

Reply #83389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so that would similar to the number of players sitting out state training to play ABA

i thought amy got injured during state champs

Reply #83390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amy did get injured DURING state champs and tried to play on for her team as best she could, and kirsten played very minimal minutes! I think you have got your facts wrong!

Reply #83398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both can play and should be in the team without doubt.

Reply #83412 | Report this post

informed  
Years ago

How misinformed are you?!?!

"play in everygame at State Champs"

If you were actually INFORMED which clearly you aren't, you would know that kirsten played around 15mins (if that) over the State Champs weekend.

Reply #83414 | Report this post

informed  
Years ago

Also, her knee reconstruction had a lot to do with her selection - as afore mentioned she was told she were too injury prone to be selected.

Reply #83415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what teams are all these girls from?

Reply #83416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kirsten and amy are from west

Reply #83417 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

kirsty, lauren, jess k, jodie - north
kara, jees m - sturt
alice, alana - west
jamie - eagles
nicole- norwood

Reply #83420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If people who are in contention for spots on the State team are trying to "play through" serious injuries then maybe they dont have the kind of brains that being a State rep requires.

Reply #83421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like a nice 7 to 8 player rotation for the coach to run should be easy......certainly easier than a 9 to 10 deep rotation that could use all players to try to make up for their lack of height....

Reply #83429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - don't beat around the bush, just tell us you think your daughter should have made it. We all know that's what you're thinking!

Reply #83431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Informed,

Kirsten played more than 15 minutes in each of the games against STurt including the 3/4 playoff.

Reply #83435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well they did only have 2 west girls to choose from for the centre position. Maybe they should have asked more people to trial or suggested to some other talented talls they could make it..coz what i have heard, some of the talls didnt bother trialling because they didnt think they had a chance..now they are left with an inexperienced tall who has just come from div 2 to a state team...

Reply #83438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on her for beleiving in herself and giving it a shot then!

Reply #83439 | Report this post

kirsten  
Years ago

Rather than everyone just making claims, and abusing whoever, people should get the story straight before assuming theirs is the only 'right' one.

State teams are a part of basketball development, "A PART", and while its disappointing for me to not have made it for reasons DAMIAN, MYSELF AND THE OTHER COACHING STAFF will only be fully privledged to, life goes on.

And as for the issue of playing state champs, that was a personal decision for me that I do not regret. As a part of my team, we achieved our goal of reaching Classics, and being in that team means a lot.

I personally wish the SA Metro girls the best of luck (I have many friends in the team), and feel really proud to be from a club where we have two representatives. I'm especially excited for Alana, who has made huge improvements to get where she is today.

Reply #83454 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Great post Kirsten.

Reply #83469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the emergencies - and how close to selection where they?

Reply #83485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: U18 girls state team announced (#83412)
Both (amy and kirsten) can play and should be in the team without doubt.

Umm, both DIDN'T play their last trial before selection due to injury.

Reply #83489 | Report this post

anono  
Years ago

emergencies are bec, hannah, kirsty, amy, kirsten

Reply #83513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think Zara is emergency as well

Reply #83519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes kirsten missed the last trial game, but she was actually fit to play, she wasn't allowed to as Damian made the ruling if you didn't train the weekend prior, you can't play that week. Fair ruling, but unlucky for kirsten

Reply #83523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post Kirsten. Goodluck with your team at classics and goodluck to you in the future. You obviously have ability, just show the selectors what they are missing out on hey!

Reply #83530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#83523,
Why didn't she train the weekend prior? Due to injury? If so, she didn't play due to injury as was said yes?
And if she was "too injured" to miss training, but not to play in the trial, then.........

Reply #83534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a player who was selected i would ask people to leave this subject be. We knoe we'r small, but we've all got our qualities. We dont need to be hearing this type of stuff going into a national championship. We have faith in ourselves, we have ffaith in each other and we have faith in our coaching staff. Some of us were just as emotional as the reserves gearing the team, we are a close group and it was hard to accept that some of our friends didnt make the team. I beleieve that the team that was elected has the full support of the reserves as that is what they have shown us. If you dont want to support us, come watch us play and we'll show you why we were selected.

Reply #83544 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Maybe this thread could be locked now?

Reply #83546 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

As I said previously to Kirsten, well done for posting yourself, however you could have put your name to it.

I agree with you and In the Know, lets close this off, wish the girls all the very best and watch the results with interest in due course.

Reply #83549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how close to kirsten are you? obvioulsy not at all, as you would know that she was following her physio's instructions.

Reply #83571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

congrats to the 10 that made the team and here's hoping to a very successful week.

Commiserations to the 5 girls that missed out, particular the two above mentioned girls who are both great players and people, sounds like it was particularly close for spots in the team.

just one quick question, when was the last time that a player made a state team when not involved in SASI?

Reply #83701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mike florence did this year as well.

happens sometimes. not often but its not extremely rare.

Reply #83702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cortney Hargraeves in Under 16 girls this year!

Reply #83703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mike florence is in sasi...last year rhino form southern made the team and i think started a few games or at least played a fair bit of time and wasn't in sasi...happens every now and then.

Reply #83725 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

83725, Didn't Florence get cut from SASI at the beginning of the year?

Reply #83728 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

There are some great comments on this page, some positive and some negitive. lets all support those 10 girls who made the State Team and hope they do well. Some have worked really hard over the last few months. I'm sure we all know someone who should have made the team and we feel for them, and we could argue all the facts all night but in the end there are only the coaches who pick the team, why they pick who and for what, is there discission and theirs alone. They are not stupid, or inept.I think the team will do well and represent the State as best as they can and that is all we ask of them. That they do there best. when we get the chance lets hope we do as well as WE can. Go Team SA

Reply #83731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754