WigWam
Years ago

Summer / Winter ABL seasons?

With the summer ABL season starting in less than 3 weeks and finishing in late Dec and the winter season rumoured to start in Late Jan can someone please confirm if this means a 27 game ABL season.

Does anyone have any further comments?

Topic #741 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I've heard that it will indeed mean a 27 game ABL season, can anyone confirm?

Reply #7841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

middle of Oct is when senior delegates meet to vote on schedule

Reply #7844 | Report this post

WMCJ  
Years ago

Have heard that maybe a couple of regional teams may look to come into our Conference from SEABL as it would reduce their travel costs
(Victorian Riverland & South East SA towns were mentioned)

That would make 12 teams and a 22 round season, with teams playing each other twice.

Reply #7849 | Report this post

hag  
Years ago

The 2005/2006 NBL season will probably begin earlier than this year to finish for the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, so ABL will need to finish earlier.

Reply #7880 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

22 games

Reply #7894 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

bring on Mildura and Mt Gambier !

Wghat a bonanza - possibly a uni ABL team - 27 games - now we are getting into some serious competition !

Great to see Mildura interested - Adelaide is closer than Melbourne (and Tasmania !)
and their juniors have been coming here to play for yonks.

my 150% support here - to the decision makers - do not let an opportunity slip thru here

Reply #7920 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Woah slow down everyone - 12 teams, 22 rounds. I see one problem right now - the salary cap - there's NO WAY Mt Gambier would enter with the rules we got, they'd lose Holmes and the other import they got too! Same for Mildura, right?

Reply #8130 | Report this post

number 1  
Years ago

as a player and having seen mt gambier play i would definately like them to be included in the central conference. it would be great if they had holmes sedder's and the rest of the team as it would make the competition very interesting

Reply #8164 | Report this post

Russel Coight  
Years ago

time to change the sallary cap rules - bring on the new teams

Reply #8167 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Definately not a good idea for them to join our conference. Wouldnt help mount gambier or Adelaide!!!

Reply #8184 | Report this post

Russel Coight  
Years ago

why would it be a problem? even for a season or two. it will ease costs for the out of towners. New competition for the locals, new faces - may put pressure on teams to perform.

like Mark williams said - it was because Brisbane was so good that they were better.

Might help channel some Mt Gambier players to adelaide etc - instead of identifying with Victoria

Reply #8185 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

COming from mount Gambier originally, and being part of that organisation for a few years, i personally think that it wouldnt be a good idea for the fact that its the only national team that the town has. It gives them exposure to many parts of the country, and thats what there recruits want.
By playing against adelaide teams it limits that exposure.

I can assure you that kids in mount gambier come to adelaide to play not melbourne. Mount Gambier is part of SA not VIc.

Reply #8186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754