Sixers33
Years ago

No Sale: Pickard

Gordon pickard will not bid for Sixers.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19343862%255E12428,00.html

Topic #7482 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

you could post a little more information sixers33.

Isnt this old news anyway? Didnt he already come out and say he wasnt interested a few weeks ago.

Seems the Advertiser are struggling a little with Basketball with Boti away. I notice Zac didnt do this story tho, did yesterdays blunder cost him?

Reply #84144 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

regardless i hate seeing the stories about a no-sale, just shut up until the deadline and they talk about it. It makes it look like it wont get sold when shit like this comes out. Was the debt on the dome not wiped?

Reply #84145 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

I found one of the last lines in the article very interesting.

"If the Government was to restructure the bid and wipe at least $10 million from the debt, the field of those showing interest is likely to swell" gave me the impression that the South Australian state government might reduce the debt if a suitable owner could not be found.

Reply #84147 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Not quite sure how you get that impression?

Gives me the impression that potential buyers are saying IF at least $10 million was reduced from the debt than more buyers would show interest.

Dosn't really say/imply anything about the Government even contemplating reducing the debt.

MY biggest question about this article is the fact that the Debt is part of the sale/deal/package?!

Reply #84149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The government want the best deal possible the other parties want the best deal possible for them. I would think that all parties will put whats in their interests forward and somethign in between will be the outcome. I would not be surprised if the crows, power or pickard are back in the race in the coming weeks. one thing is for sure, there will be no outcome before the start of the nbl season.

Reply #84155 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can't see how the debt is part of the package.

Reply #84187 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

They would be stupid to think they could sell it with such a large debt attached!?

If that is the case than there is NO chance of a sale in my opinion.

Reply #84229 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah this is real wierd i assumed that the debt was off and that is why they were saying they will never get back what they are owed. If the case is that the debt is still attached lke DJ said who in their righ mind would buy it.

Reply #84247 | Report this post

Tynan  
Years ago

Geez.

I can't believe this debate or misunderstanding is still out there as I have posted on this same issue many times.

1. BASA have a debt of say $10 mill to the Govt.
2. They also have some assets (??) called the Dome and 2 teams.

Maths 101. If you take the price of 2 less 1 is it positive or negative?

If they sell those assets for anything less than the total debt the debt STILL exists.

So the Govt assuming someone does finish up making a bid, has a decision to make....accept the offer or not.

Assuming they accept and there is a shortfall, who has the liability for the debt remaining...NOT the new owners, but basketball SA, that's us folks.

Now they could do as they did for soccer and Hindmarsh and forgive all or some of it, but how are we basketball people going to pay it back.

Increase subs? I doubt it.

That folks is the $10 mill question.

Hence my sceptism previously as to why everyone thinks its so good for basketball in SA for us to sell these assets.

Why sell your only assets?

Items in 2 are for sale

Reply #84280 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They don't have that choice to make. If they were pulling their way out of the hole, then perhaps the government would've given them the chance to hold onto their assets and make the most of them.

Reply #84287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tynan,

I find it interesting that:

1) You critise others for not understanding the arrangement when clearly you don't even know it yourself.

and

2)You have no understanding of Basketball in this state or what the State's governing body SHOULD be doing yet critise them for finally putting their focus on local basketball where it should have been for the past 20 years.

Reply #84288 | Report this post

Tynan  
Years ago

Issac, what choice?

I think you are saying, that the govt has forced BASA's hand to repay the debt, ie to sell their assets. I agree, but what then happenes if the sale does not obtain an offer for the total debt?

Tell me what I have wrong?

As for point 2, well the states governing body has had no say in this process because quite simply they have F***** it up over the past years hence the govt's intervention.

And I don't understand? You are kidding.

Reply #84408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tynan wait til the sale has been complete and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Until then keep spinning your stories which you speak as fact. If nothing else it's been entertaining to hear someone talk like they have all the answers when clearly they don't really know or understand what is happening at all.

Reply #84417 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Whether or not the assets are sold to recoup the debt is no longer BSA's choice to make. They were given the opportunity to use those assets to trade out of debt and it was beyond them.

The government has done more than forced BSA's hand; they've wrested control. I might be wrong, but I can't see that the government would do anything but wipe the remaining debt post-sale - if I understand the situation correctly, they're relying on competition in the bidding market alone plus maybe a little bit of encouragement during the process to give them a reasonable price.

Reply #84469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754