Anonymous
Years ago

Switching clubs

What are the rules on players switching clubs?

The player in question is an U14. Is it to late in the season to make the switch?

What was or is the cut off point for a switch.

Has anyone out there made a switch this late into the season?

How did it go?

Did you achieve what you were hoping to achieve?

Topic #7591 | Report this topic

hi  
Years ago

well yes i hav switched clubs this year.

Reply #85187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girl or Boy? The cut off point is the half way mark the season ie I think round 11.

Reply #85189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#85189)Girl

(#85187) Did it work for you? Has it been sucsesful? Or do you wish you had of stayed with the devil you know?

Reply #85190 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I am guessing you have had a bad experience over the long weekend? Look into each club carefully and also look into what your club has to give in the future. Does she play Div 1/2 or the lower divisions?

Reply #85200 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

You have to think about the long term and consider the reasons why you would want to move?

Are you after a quick fix - ie. more court time? Going up a Div?
If this is the case - I would think about it long and hard because unless you are a contracted player then there is no guarantee that this will occur when you make a switch.

However, if you are looking to improve the social side of things then a club move might be what you need

i have switched clubs when I was in U14's (mind you this is about 10 years ago!) and it was the best thing I ever did - I went from div 1 down to div 2 but the friends I made and the social aspect of my new club made me want to play and improve off my own back - something I was not willing to do at my original club!

Reply #85206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

be carefull they dont pull the regulation crap that the club you want to go to may have a State Coach, they may say its going to cost you big...its bluff talk...if he or she is good be prepared to be black listed until they get over you...BELIEVE ME THEY ARE VERY CHILDISH

Reply #85215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it meant to just be a $20 admin fee and that's it?

Reply #85229 | Report this post

HillBilly  
Years ago

Do what makes YOU happy. Enjoy your sport and train and play hard.

Reply #85240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but if he is in Div 1 and shows promises they will fight and play dirty...bear that in mind, trust me it's happened to me

Reply #85261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sometimes from a club point of view it aint worth the fight.
Just wish them the best and get on with the next game.
Can be disruptive and unsettling.

Reply #85265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pick me! pick me!

Reply #85269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at the improvement in the other clubs so far this year.
Will that coach be there in the next season?
Which club has been improving the most and has a coach that you could play for?

Reply #85271 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Is this girl a first year or second year?

Reply #85282 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

i think it is wrong for junior coaches to poach players!! but if a player is unhappy at a club, whether it be because of the coaching side of things or connection with their team mates, then they should be free to decide where they want to play. my standing on the situation is that players at a junior player should not be brainwashed by coaches to play for thier team and promise them unreasonable expectations. players need to make their mind up where they will be happiest playing with out adult influence, espescially at U14 level and under. They dont need the extra pressure!! They need to enjoy the game.

Reply #85283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My child switched clubs at U14 level - we had wanted it a year earlier but then when they decided it was time to go we went for it!
Talk about chalk and cheese!! Sorry but for us the grass was not only greener it was LUSH. No wonder they 'grew', when it was far better 'fertilised', watered, developed and well cared for. This junior age development is VITAL. DONT MISS THE BOAT!!

Reply #85296 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Sounds like your child is a mushroom.

Reply #85300 | Report this post

funny  
Years ago

That desrves a little ball!

Reply #85301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the little butler is your coach , run i say , run .

Reply #85309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont switch from a club that may coach your age groups state team in the future, that will cost you.

Reply #85313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it means getting more court time is more important then friendship - then do it ! You will always make new friends,,,,,,,
Coaches play mind games with young kids minds which ends up stuffing them up from the main thing of having fun !
Too many coaches have favourites & dont care about development of others.They take them away on carnivals and sit 2 or 3 on the bench for most of the game....Thats not develpoment.

Reply #85409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Development occurs at training not in games.

Getting lots of court time does not make you a better player. Good coaching at trainig does. If it were the other way around then the better kids from the teams on the botom would become good players, but they don't!

Reply #85417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but court time breeds confidence. No matter how many times you execute something in training, if you don't feel confident executing in a game then it won't happen.

Reply #85429 | Report this post

Quality training and applying that training to a high level, competitive situation develops players.

You just dont get the competitive situation at training scrimmages that you get in games. Thats one of the reasons why playing regular season games against your own clubs on too regular a basis could be detrimental.

Reply #85432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would that court time with a number of turnovers be confidence building?

Its the whole "would you rather be the 8th or 9th player in Div 1, see less court time, but quality players and high class competition or the 1st or 2nd player in Div 2, start and see minutes but only above average players and competition".

Reply #85441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#85409 if you speak to some of the Sturt U14 Boys parents who were at the Classics your point is proven. But I guess Somebody has already mentioned "Little Butler".

Reply #85445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you speak to the kids of the U14 Boys Classic team you will find that they are quite happy to have a gold medal around there neck.

Reply #85447 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

What are you saying?
He sat some on the weekend?
The only mistake , maybe , was to take too many players.
But if you were 9,10,11 then you can't expect to much time at a carnival like the classics.

Reply #85448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Indiana,

Given what you say it will be interesting to see how many they take to the Nationals. The same, more or less?

I'm sure heading to Tassie is a lot more expensive than Melbourne.

Reply #85450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At all National Championships players are guarenteed NO court time. If the parent or child do not want to pay the cost, and then not play then they should not go.

Last year Sturt had a girl in their U/14's that did not play much at the Nationals. This year she was MVP of the Classics. Just shows that those who are willing to sacrifice, are able to reap the benefits.

Reply #85468 | Report this post

Rob Shearwood  
Years ago

"Little" Butler as you call him would be the best junior coach in aussie at the moment. How do I know ? I have watched the guy coach my kid for the last 2 years in a program second to none. The way he relates to ALL kids and gets the best out of them talent wise, whilst teaching them the game is without peer in this state.

He sets the guidelines down for every one from day one and his attention to detail is the reason he and his teams achieve what they do. I know he gets real genuine enjoyment from seeing all the kids and parents interacting at tournaments and achieving the great results that the team does - that is a by product of the coaching programs the club run.

Unfortunately not all kids can get equal court time at this level. Ask the kids that do not and I think you will find that they are more than happy to play support roles with their mates. They are happy to be involved and go away and experience the mateship of the team. The guyz that do get the time do appreciate the support given from the "bench". The bond that is built between them and has been since under 10's is also an underlying factor to success.

Yes, It is hard to sit on the bench but more so for the parents who pay the costs money wise, but I can tell you that the bond these kids will have if they win a nationals in Tassie in september will be there 30 years down the track if and when they cross paths again.

People do not understand how hard these classic and nationals things are to win and how important the 8,9,10 player etc are to the team.

The kids all play their roles - lets just support the team and the coach and enjoy the ride. I know my kid wants to win back to back nationals and Scott would love his third.

Reply #85574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rob - great reply, but by the sounds of it, a fellow parent of your sons team is the one trying to be-little SB here.

(terrible pun, i know).

Reply #85582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #85582

Reply #85583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #85582,

I doubt that it is actually somebody from Scott's team. It is very easy for somebody to claim that they are, what they are not on this forum.

More likely it is someone from another team that is trying to create disention in the team.

Great Post Rob, could not agree with you more. If we all were doing as good a job as Scott is, then basketball in SA would be in a great way.

Reply #85584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754