Hoop Addict
Years ago

Bargnani goes #1, Aldridge #2

First 2 picks have been completed. Will be very interesting to see what happens with the rest of the lottery picks.

You can follow the picks here

Topic #7736 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

The 2nd Draft-Night trade has been completed, with Aldridge & Tyrus Thomas (selected 4th by Portland) have been traded. The Bulls also picked up Khryapa from Portland.

Up to Houston's 8th pick now...

Reply #86792 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From The Draft Blog:

Back to Bargnani for a second, he's only the second international player who didn't play college ball in the United States ever to be selected with the top overall pick. The other is Yao Ming, who went ot Houston in 2002.
Also on Bargnani:
What you may not have heard was the boos and chants of "over-rated" pouring down on the 20-year old.
Those boos were nothing compared with those that came when a graphic was displayed showing the pick the Bulls have -- No. 2, which belonged to the Knicks.
Are those Yanks scared of Euro big men because of Milicic?

Reply #86794 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

NY has very bad memories of drafting Euro's. Remember Vince Carters b*^ch, Frederick Weis was drafted by the Knicks, and everyone remembers that dunk during the Sydney Olympics. The Knicks also drafted Lampe.

Saer Sene at #10.... that's a damn long reach. Sene is one player that could potentially make 9 other GM's look pretty silly, or make one GM look like a complete fool.

Reply #86795 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I don't know if they're scared - there have been some top-notch Euro big men: in recent years guys like Nowitzki and Gasol, and old-schoolers like Sabonis and Divac.

Where GMs like the Seattle guy who picked Saer Sene at #10 earn their money is trying to pick those types instead of the Milicic/Weis types.

Reply #86797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sene's profile makes him sound like a gamble - good shotblocker, but limited offensive skills, going that high in the draft?

I have often wondered if it's a patriotic thing. That's a Chinese, an Australian and an Italian going top in recent drafts and perhaps fans used to their players growing up locally, playing college and then getting picked are unhappy with change?

Booing a pick is pretty offensive. Fair enough if the guy had a dodgy history of drugs or a sex-offense scandal, but just because he's from another country? Why else would they boo the choice? They want a dunk-machine?

Reply #86798 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The 76ers pick is real weird... Thebo Sefolosha. Maybe they pick him for someone else. That's any even bigger reach than Sene at #10

Reply #86799 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

TR how do you feel about Morrison and the Cats?

Reply #86800 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Good pick, it was between him or Gay. I was hoping for Morrison as I see Gay too similar to Gerald Wallace. The starting 5 is starting to mould together with the addition of Morrison and we can now start to think about a 1/2 court game instead of running game.

With Wallace slashing to the bucket, and Emeka in the post and with Morrison spotting up all over the shop it should be nice to see and work well. Forget to mention Felton passing the pill to these boys. Morrison's intensity should help our lads grow some more balls.

Reply #86801 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Marcus Williams just keeps going down, down, down!

Washington with the #18 pick is next... doubtful they'd take him since they already have Arenas.

Reply #86802 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There's always one poor bastard left in the room at the draft, last year it was Gerald Green, this year it looks like Marcus Williams.

He shouldn't slide past the Suns or the Nets.

Reply #86804 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

OMG... here comes the Knicks pick... This could end up going anywhere...

Douby at #19 in an interesting pick. Projected as an early second rounder, but does fill a need at Sactown.

Reply #86805 | Report this post

boost  
Years ago

if only Rudy had fallen one more spot.. there would've been another Gay in the san fran village..

People spoke of Morrison's marketability, but imagine Rudy in San Fran - that jersey would be a very high seller.

With all these silly picks, surely Newley couldve got a look in.. Very disapointed he didnt stay in the draft.

Reply #86806 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Balkman with the Knicks pick.... Excuse the language, but F*#k me!!!! Isiah really needs to address some issues and get back on the medication...

The Knicks fans should be rioting in the streets. NYPD should be on standby and Bush should be calling in the National Guard...

Balkman was projected a mid to late 2nd round. Could be another Isiah lovechild......

Reply #86807 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Then Rondo is the first PG taken in the draft at #21 by Phoenix.

Reckon they planned to take a PG & figured Rondo would be the best one left then just forgot about Williams because they assumed he'd be gone?

Here's hoping he falls beyond NJ's 2 picks & Memphis and the Cavs can pick him up to run the show for them. Then I hope he has a Gilbert Arenas style chip on his shoulder & goes out to prove all the teams that passed on him wrong.

Update : Naturally, just as I posted, he got taken by New Jersey with the 22nd pick.

Reply #86810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There is only one Gilby, Mr Addict!

Reply #86811 | Report this post

Sergio Rodriguez

Now this kid can flat out pass the ball. A long with his ability to beat guys off the dribble. I cant wait to see this kid play against the likes of Kidd, Wade etc

Reply #86815 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

The Top 10 went something like this:

#1 - Toronto - Andrea Bargani
#2 - Chicago - LaMarcus Aldridge - who appears has been traded to Portland already.
#3 - Charlotte - Adam Morrison
#4 - Portland - Tyrus Thomas - appears to have been traded to Chicago for Aldridge
#5 - Atlanta - Sheldon Williams
#6 - Minnesota - Brandon Roy - who has been sent to Portland
#7 - Boston - Randy Foye - who has been sent to Minnesota via Portland
#8 - Houston - Rudy Gay
#9 - Golden State - Patrick O'Bryant
#10 - Seattle - Saer Sene

Also Reddick was picked up by Orlando with the 11th pick

Reply #86818 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Love this from Foxsport.com :

20. NEW YORK KNICKS
F RENALDO BALKMAN, SOUTH CAROLINA
DIME'S TAKE:And the crowd goes nuts... with anger. Renaldo Balkman??? Zeke better know something that no one else here knows about Balkman. We're at a loss with this one.

SCHRAGER ON THE SCENE: Yikes. The roof's going to come off of this place. Personally, I don't think Isiah meant to take Balkman. I'm convinced he thought he was taking former Dallas Maverick and Knick great, Ronaldo Blackman. He probably remembered Blackman lighting him up in the 80s, saw the draft board, and decided, "Yes, yes that guy's good! Let's take him!" Charles Dolan then likely ate a $100 bill, took a bath in Poland Spring water, and said "Go For it!" The Knicks fans are beyond outraged. There's an "F-Dolan" chant going at full force, which I'm sure is really delightful for the ESPN sound crew. So the Knicks have Balkman. I can't wait until Isiah realizes it's not the guy he thought it was. And I can't wait until Nate Robinson hazes him next year. What a disaster this team is.

Reply #86824 | Report this post

boost  
Years ago

and they just took another point guard with their next pick.. dear me.. Isiah should just get in the line for centrelink now..

Reply #86829 | Report this post

Reebok Pumps  
Years ago

I see the Cavs have drafted two guards - does this mean CJ's slim chance of an NBA shot are over?

Also a lot of Internationals drafted late in the second round - a few teams taking a punt on the next Dirk or Manu? 16 Internationals all up by my count?

Also interesting to note tha a Dee Brown got drafted at 46 - brought back a lot of memories of the dunk comp where the other Dee Brown wore those Black Reebok Pumps (with the little orange basketball on the tongue as the pump). I remember him pumping them up and doing a massive leaner with his arm over his eyes. (Well it was massive back then but it seems a little lame now compared to what Vince and co have done since)

Reply #86831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did any aussie get picked up?

Reply #86833 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

GOD NY ARE IDIOTS!...JUST PLAIN STUPID!

Reply #86836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said Farmar should end up at Lakerland at #26

other quote "Farmer shouldn't be around at #26. Thinking late teens or very early twenties for him."

Ha I told you

Reply #86847 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

your my hero now...... do you really want to compare preditions. Go and have a look and some of mine and then come back and talk......

Oh, by the way, he's a steal at 26, and should be jacked that Marcus Williams didn't get drafted higher as this is what pushed him down the board.

Reply #86854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is he any good i dont know anything about collage ball? but im a nj fan??

Reply #86864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams will average 10 assists per game in his prime. He's just like Mark Jackson was

Reply #86875 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Has Anyone seen Farmer play?

Ive seen a fair bit of college ball on ESPN but cant recal seeing Farmer playing or doing anything special

Reply #86999 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Farmer basically led an overachieving UCLA team to the Big Dance.

He's a local lad for the Lakers and he should push Smush at the pg position. He did pretty well for himself at the pre-draft camps.

Reply #87002 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Thanks TR

So u reckon he is as good as Smush.....if not better?

Personally......i reckon Smush is a SG in a PG body

Reply #87003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754