Isaac
Years ago

Lightning signs Dee Ranford

ADELAIDE has moved a step closer to finalising its WNBL squad for next season after re-signing sweet-shooting guard Dee Ranford.

Ranford, a championship player with Dandenong in 2003/04, was a late starter in coach Chris Lucas' program last season but proved to be a handy acquisition from the bench.

"Dee came in late last year and I feel with a solid pre-season under her belt she can take her game to another level," Lucas said of the 24-year-old. "She is deceptively quick and she did a great job for us last year."

With Lucas' quota of guards complete - Ranford's name is added to Erin Phillips, Jess Foley and Narelle Lindsay - he must turn his attention to adding some much needed height.
They now have 9 signed:
The Lightning's nine definite starters are Ranford, Phillips, Lindsay, Foley, Sam Woosnam, Cherie Smith, Rebecca Duke, Brigid Bowley and Townsville recruit Lauren King.
Full article at The Advertiser

Topic #7746 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

The way that reads, they've done more than sign nine players: they've got nine STARTERS, and it's definite.

Given that normally you're only allowed five starters, shouldn't the Lightning waltz in for the title? I mean, how are the other teams going to cope with a 2-2-1-2-2 press?

Reply #86886 | Report this post

they better be good shooters - cause after sam and brigid - who will be in the paint ?

Reply #86888 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

So where does this leave Erin Lorenzini??

Reply #86890 | Report this post

she is in the squad - they can take 12 (i think into a game - FIBA regs)- might be the same as last year for her on the bench for home games. they will run 11-12 for home games and take 9 or so on the road

I would say - if they can not get a quality tall - she will be the 10th player

oddly enough - she is in better form than ranford and a few others - me - i take form over names - anyday - time will tell if ranford or lindsay over lorenzini has been the right move

Reply #86894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she's a good kid she will stick in there and keep working hard to make her own spot. just a pitty what more can she do, sapphires, excellent abl form, great work ethic, stick at it!!

Reply #86897 | Report this post

she has age on her side - my only feeling is she is a gun on the rise and they have gone with hand me downs - i would have gone with a balance as first option - 1 old hand, 1 new hand

but there is still room for Ez - lets make sure she makes her home here!

Reply #86905 | Report this post

Texy  
Years ago

I am getting tired of Lucas and his suck up selections. PLUS

1 spot Phillips 35+ Minutes
2 spot Foley 30+ Minutes

Will Ranford spit it and bitch (to many like she did last year with a minimal role and will Lindsay even want to play 5-10 minutes a game?? Your Right Guys, players like Lorenzini or even Ali Trewartha with some youth is the future of the Lightning. Or Lucas can worry about his own neck and not care about the development of the Club younger players! Signing Erin Seward is an unfortunate joke, No offence but C'Mon Chris, stop feeling sorry for her, I think she is a great girl but her time as a WNBL player is up!!

Does the ABA Compare stats with players....?? Please send the link to Chris Lucas.... Hopefully his last year anyway!

No Big Girls???
NO HOPE!!

Reply #86906 | Report this post

what is mons bowley or hannah up to ?

bring in jodie 'workhorse" barrat !

Reply #86907 | Report this post

Texy  
Years ago

RANFORD

14.9 (448)
4.9 (147)
4.0 (119)
0.5 (14)
1.6 (49)
0.6 (19)
4.3 (128)
36.3% (158/435)
30.4% (35/115)
59.5% (97/163)
4.6 (137)
2.5 (76)
Remove

LORENZINI

14.6 (233)
6.5 (104)
2.6 (42)
0.1 (1)
2.4 (38)
1.5 (24)
5.0 (80)
39.8% (82/206)
29.1% (23/79)
79.3% (46/58)
2.6 (42)
2.6 (42)

Oh But Dee has EXPERIENCE!!! Please.

Reply #86908 | Report this post

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

it is not so much ranford but lindsay - i would have gone ranford / lorenzini as back up PGs rather than ranford / lindsay / lorenzini

Reply #86923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better leave a spot open for Angela Marino as her parents are buying the lightning.

Reply #86930 | Report this post

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

gold

Reply #86935 | Report this post

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

stay here Ez - Erin P will be going to bigger and better things next WNBL season - she must have knocked back quite a bit for this season

Reply #86936 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

It wont hurt Lorenzini one bit to wait in Erins shadow for a year.
By hell is she going to be needed in 2008!

Reply #86949 | Report this post

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

on the money damage - we will struggle to keep erin phillips in 2008 - big money everywhere but australia awaits her

Reply #86959 | Report this post

Dee Fan  
Years ago

Dee didn't bitch to anybody last year, she was starting by the end of the season
Dee compared to Lorenzini is a joke.
Lorenzini is a tall poppy in a small team with North.
What sort of so called guard only averages 1 to 2 assists per game.
Put Dee in a one on one game with Lorenzini and she will destroy her.
Proof of that was a couple of weeks ago when North played Forestville she can't guard her.

Reply #86984 | Report this post

Muzza  
Years ago

What a joke, Ranford in and Lorenzini not.
Lorenzini's got more going for her,
Age, Ability, Speed and whats more she likes to play hard.

And what's more Dee Fan, I don't know what game you where watching but Lorenzini didn't even play on Ranford last game + North won.

Reply #86990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These girls all have a go, and would absolutely kill you all on court. Stop running people down and get a life!!!!!

Reply #86991 | Report this post

Texy  
Years ago

I know all these girls have a go. But its obvious that Lucas has something against Lorenzini or just really really likes Lindsay and Ranford!! TOO MUCH!

Reply #87014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah must have something against her... u guys have no idea about selections..... experience, patience and smart dedicated players in a team win championships, young guns with passion, skills, etc win games... take a look at ur line up u have enough firey gutsy players... shes young another year learning from the best, erin p. will be the best thing for her career..in the long term

Reply #87619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

quite honestly the more that gets posted on here bout 'what about lorenzi' makes me wish that she doesn't get picked.

let the girls game speak for itself and stop jumping on here screaming foul that she hasn't been picked up.

Reply #87621 | Report this post

leif garrett  
Years ago

it's a forum - so we have to take what is said

you second sentence is the answer!

Reply #87622 | Report this post

anomymous  
Years ago

Bring back Stirling for the Lightning - at least she had a backbone to make many good long term decisions for the team

Reply #87964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lorenzinni is not that good, she makes up numbers.. what is she actually good at? Work rate yes.. does not replace skill and flare in which Dee has! Ok aba player, will never be anything more. Shove some pressure on her and she aint nothin.. She is just a Erin Phillips wanna be!

Reply #88292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant believe everyone is comparing Ranford and Erin L. There is no comparission... Dee kills her on every level. You will see in time.

Reply #88293 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hello agenda! Two posts in a row from the same IP.

Reply #88303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754