noose
Years ago

Boomers Squad

Stop me if this has already been a topic, but I have noticed that the Boomers squad has been reduced to 19.
Australian Boomers squad;
David Andersen, Chris Anstey, David Barlow, Andrew Bogut, Aaron Bruce, Wade Helliwell, Nathan Jawai, Luke Kendall, Daniel Kickert, Sam Mackinnon, Alex Maric, Steven Markovic, Patrick Mills, Brad Newley, Matthew Nielsen, Russell Hinder, Glen Saville, Jason Smith, Mark Worthington.

No Jacob Holmes???
Interestingly, two of Dunlap's boys, Barlow and Worthington, made the cut. Did the presence of Dunlap and his fellow US coach at the trials have any influence on the inclusion of Barlow to the exclusion of Jacob?

Topic #7781 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

I think that is a tough break if Nathan Jawai is in and Holmes is out. Jawai is still a development player, whereas Jacob could contribute right away on the defensive end in particular.

Reply #87157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skyhook,

How much have you seen of Jawai?

He is a 4/5 and Jacob is a 2/3 anyway!

Reply #87161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they are just blooding him, i think its good. He may not get much time or play well but he will be better off for the experience, that said Jacob should be there.

Reply #87162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luke kendall over J.holmes?

Are they the sydney boomers?

Reply #87163 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Anon 87161 or should i say Mrs jawai ??

Jawai is the least worthy of the names mentioned in regards to Jacob missing out.
Kendall would be a close second on that list -

Reply #87170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai - 4/5
Holmes - 3/4
Kendall - 1/2

How can you compare

Reply #87171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are ALWAYS a few odd names on the end of a Boomers training squad roster that are quite clearly there with absolutely no chance of making the team, even less of a chance then some names who aren't there, and are clearly there as someone rough that the coaches would like to get a closer look at for the future and/or think could do with a bit of a run with the more experienced members of the squad.

Reply #87172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at the international level

J/Holmes is a 2/3
as is Kendall

you wouldn't have kendall playing the 1 ahead of CJ, Bruce, Markovic, even Newley (another 2/3).

Reply #87180 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Speaking of Bruton, where is his name in the list? Has he not made himself available or is Goorj being spiteful because he signed with Brisbane?

Reply #87184 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY - NBA Summer Camp. Schenscher is also skipping the tournament to try and make sure he has a job lined up for next season.

Reply #87186 | Report this post

Pepper Brooks  
Years ago

The squad named is just another piece of evidence that if you don't play for Sydney your chances of making the squad are significantly reduced.

Alex Maric - what the?
No one has mentioned Russell Hinder as a questionable inclusion. He can't be seriously considered for the World Champs can he?

Jacob should be in there for certain. Don't try the ol' blooding the youngsters excuse either, don't forget Jacob is still a youngster himself.

Time for Goorj to be sacked.

Reply #87189 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

time for goorj to be sacked?
um, we passed that time about a year ago...04 olympics anyone?

Reply #87191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct me if Im wrong but on the NBL Webste Brian has reffered to the team as "One of the most talented Boomer's squads yet"

Dident Brian go off atr Phil Smyth for making that comment in the media a month or so ago?

Reply #87192 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I dont reckon that worthington or hinder should be in the squad.... did anyone see Holmes on the commomnwealth games? i mean he played no time, so i expected he'd be cut.... i just hope gorj sees something im yet to see in worthington, i reckon Barlow definateky whould be tgher.

Reply #87194 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

yeah goorj does see something in worthington......he plays for sydney..........

Reply #87195 | Report this post

Pepper Brooks  
Years ago

Agreed DB5!!! The time has long past.

hurley - would you care to elaborate on Barlow for me? Why do you agree with his selection?

Reply #87196 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Hurley, I have reason to suspect you've been 'drink-posting' again. Do you care to elaborate on the following statement :

"i reckon Barlow definateky whould be tgher."?

Reply #87198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the international scene kendall would never play the 2/3. Way too small

Reply #87200 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

That squad is ridiculous, Barlow? Jawai? Hinder? Mills?
These guys won't make the Worlds, and Kendall would only make it if Goorj makes one heck of a stupid decision, Worthington is the only one of those lot I can take being in there, yet no Holmes...

You would think from that group, the squad for New Zealand would be -
Andrew Bogut
David Andersen
Glen Saville
Brad Newley
Aaron Bruce

Chris Anstey
Jason Smith
Sam Mackinnon
Steven Markovic
Matthew Nielsen
Mark Worthington (should be Holmes)
Wade Helliwell/Daniel Kickert

Reply #87204 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I saw Holmes play in a few of the Commonwealth Games matches, and thought he held his game quite well.

Having said that when you consider their toughest opposition was NZ, might not be the greatest to compare it with.

I was surprised to not see Holmes' name on there.

Reply #87206 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The problem I see with these names in the squad is the fact that there are no wily vets.

Smith and MacKinnon have been around for a while, but there are no steady heads or lockeroom leaders to keep this young group grounded or together.

Reply #87207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of you have any idea. Mills and Jawai worked their way into the squad through there performance at camp as did Barlow and Kendall. Barlow was one of the dominant players at camp.

Reply #87252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't Chris Anstey be considered a veteran now too?

Reply #87255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow is perhaps only a season or two away from being one of the single most dominant players in the NBL. I dare you to laugh at that.

Reply #87278 | Report this post

noose  
Years ago

I thought that I might have got some comment on my original post on whether Dunlap being at camp had an influence on the selection of "his boys" to the exclusion of Jacob.
Ask Jacob.

Reply #87288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

re Barlow, I wouldn't be surprised if that eventuated.

Were I running a team, I would offer him a big contract ASAP to try and get him away from the Kings. Once those college guys start leaving their rookie contracts, Sydney will have to let a couple go (a la Luke Martin).

I also thought Holmes played well at the Games in his time, from what I saw.

Reply #87289 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Who is Patrick Mills? Does he deserve a spot? (directed at people who have actually seen the kid play)

Reply #87467 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754