Eddie P
Years ago

Free Throw Shooting

After watching the Miami vs Dallas Finals Series and seeing Shaq's woeful free throw shooting (thankfully he made two big ones when it mattered), it got me thinking:

Why is free throw shooting such a problem for a lot of good players?

Is it psychological?
Is it lack of practice?
Poor technique?

How come most good 3 point shooters can shoot 40%+ having to shoot shots with no time to focus and with people guarding them yet other players can't make a simple shot much closer to the basket with no one guarding them and with 5 seconds to prepare!

Obviously Shaq's 47% regular season and 37% post season stands out in the NBA but there are also some interesting stats at NBL (2006) level too (and I'm sure at ABL as well):

Sam MacKinnon 43%
Mark Nash 44%
Chris Burgess 55%

Thoughts?

Topic #7827 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #87666 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Mental weakness? I think Shaqs problem is more due to his size. The ball looks quite small in his hands...try shooting foul shots with an undersized ball and you'll know what I mean.

Reply #87667 | Report this post

Dr Shot  
Years ago

Its a number of factors Eddie P, I think. Its to do with trajectory. Your 6foot4 and shorter guys get a better arc on their free throws because they are shorter. The big guys have to shoot their free throws flatter.

Also, I think shaq struggles to get the correct lever motion on his free throw action because of the size of those guns/arms

You tell us Eddie P. Im interested to hear your opinion.

Reply #87668 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Ha, classic, just reading the Eagles vs Lions boxscore and noticed Forestville shot 53% from 3PT line and 44% from FT line.

Eddie P, I thought you were the expert?

Reply #87669 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

P as in the free throw shooting coach ??

By the way the arc on Shaq's shot is only part of the problem . He refuses to flick his wrist - so it comes out like a cannon ball.

Mark Nash needs to pull his finger out. He should be listening to this.

Reply #87672 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Eddie, help all these boys out!
Nash, that is disgusting.... by the way, Shaq is starting to look better from the foul line than Ben Wallace.....oh, that isn't a compliment.

Reply #87677 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

just checking, but the ball hasnt changed in size or weight so the only variable is the shooter. The ball may look tiny in Shaqs hands but his job is to shot the same sized and weighted ball from the same distance in a basket that is the same height (unless you are in the marion stadium)! its in the head. noone else is to blame but the person at the line.

Reply #87684 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Dr Shot,

I'm not convinced your trajectory theory is on the money in terms of disadvantaging the bigger guys, the tallest guy in the league shot 85% this season from the stripe so presumably his height hasn't made shooting them more difficult.

There's just something hideously wrong with the mechanics of Shaq's shot, I think the fact his hands are massive does make it harder, but again Yao must have some pretty big mits himself.

Some things in the world just are the way the are, there will always be conflict in Palestine, Sixers33 will always post unneccessary posts and Shaq will always be a bad free throw shooter.

Reply #87699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposedly the new Spalding ball design will make it easier to handle and shoot the basketball. We'll see for sure when the season starts.

Reply #87702 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

Shaq can't blame anyone appart from himself, the old sane goes practice makes perfect. I know it must be fun Dunking all over Alonzo at trainig but wouldn't it be better to make a free throw when it matters!

Reply #87703 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

While the mechanics of the shot have a massive impact on FT results, i think they are cases when it realli is lack of confidence and a mental issue. ive heard numerous accounts at how wilt chamberlain was a fantastic foul shooter in trainings often matching it with jerry west, however in games we all know he had a disgusting FT%. so its many factors, but as they basketball is 90% above the neck

Reply #87704 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

Shaq actually broke both arms as a young child, and could not afford the proper medical treatment to have the set correctly - and to have it done now would throw all his muscle balance out. One wrist is slightly rotated inward, and one wrist is slightly bent back towards him. Neither are too noticeable, but would affect taking balanced shots from more than about 2 feet from the ring. This was well documented when he was struggling through problems as a rookie.

Reply #87706 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

God you guys talk shit...daniel

Reply #87710 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

agreed on Dr Damage what a load of shit, just face it Shaq cant shoot he can only dunk, and he will never be able to shoot its just not him. Dont think im bagn the big guy, i rekon hes great but he just can't shoot

Reply #87731 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

to damage and brad - just because it is not widely known, doesn't mean it's untrue. do your research boys.

Reply #87742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The truth is that O'Neal fractured both of his wrists while climbing between two trees, trying to imitate Superman who was his favourite comic book hero. Shaq wasn't a poor ghetto child though. His step-father was in the US Army and Shaq and the rest of the family travelled with him wherever he was stationed. I'm sure there would have been someone with some medical knowledge about to be able to fix two broken wrists correctly

Reply #87743 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

well said anon87743

Reply #87750 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Shaq is 7'4 and built like a brick shit house, his game was built around that fact only!!!

He cant shoot, never could, never will. What he can do is awesome. But get real about mixing Shaq and any real thread about shooting free throws.

Reply #87754 | Report this post

BakedBeanHead  
Years ago

Looks like shaq has had a growth spirt at a late age. Last time i checked Shaq was 7'1. I wonder how the extra 3" will affect his numbers next season Dr Damage?

Reply #87758 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Surely Undersized Pf, the Greatest Player of All Time would not be intimidated by a trip to the stripe?

Reply #87759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK Dr. D, how come the poor shooting percentages from certain players in the NBL and ABA then? This thread wasn't just about Shaq.

Reply #87760 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Psychological factors have a hell of a lot to do with this skill.
As does recvery heart rate , between the action that has occured in the previous couple of plays.
Many players find it difficult to narrow the focus while the whole game is fixed on them.
People like Brett Maher who are high % ft shooters are also organised and methodical in all their play(on and of the court) so it would follow into their shooting from the stripe.

There is always the old fashioned way...shoot thousands of them and turn it into a closed skill!!

Reply #87763 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Time to think can be a dangerous comodity for some. Foul shots should be routine, practice going a fair way to perfection. Surely any coach at a reasonable level can give intruct a player in this basic technique.

Reply #87767 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

well said sween players in under 14's are expected to shoot at least one out of 2 and if shaq or anyother players can not hit that when they go to the line, they need to go back to basics

Reply #87809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brad,

Are you trying to get some sympathy votes from people by agreeing with everything everybody else says?

Or is this just a new way of padding you posts?

Reply #87840 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

The fact that the ball seems smaller to shaq or that it's because hes taller is bull! IF you played continually on an Under 10's size ring with a size 5 ball, and thats what you always took you foul shots from, it would be easy as hell to make them.

I think it is also the coaching staff's fault, during the finals but also in the regular season, teams will go out and deliberately plan to 'hack shaq' cause everyone knows he can't shoot foul shots. Get him in the gym working hard from the stripe and you could add a lot of easy points to his game...

Reply #87842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that the ball seems smaller to shaq or that it's because hes taller is bull! IF you played continually on an Under 10's size ring with a size 5 ball, and thats what you always took you foul shots from, it would be easy as hell to make them.I think it is also the coaching staff's fault, during the finals but also in the regular season, teams will go out and deliberately plan to 'hack shaq' cause everyone knows he can't shoot foul shots. Get him in the gym working hard from the stripe and you could add a lot of easy points to his game...

Reply #212846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754