Isaac
Years ago

Sturt win both at MARS

Sturt women got up 61-54 after the Flames had the lead at half-time. Marino 15 and BBowley 13. Hurst 17/5/5, Winfield 13 and 8, Smart 12.

Men's game started fairly even and Norwood looked dangerous, but finished as a blow-out. 100-71 Sturt's way, thanks to a 52-34 disparity in the second half.

For Norwood, Krause had 18 but took 6/20 to get there while Cooper was the onl other in double figures, bagging 12 and pulling down 18 boards.

Smylie led the visitors with 22 which Ng was quieter than recent games with 18 points, but faced close defensive attention all game. Forman had 4/7 threes to finish with 19 and 17 in 32 minutes, despite foul trouble.

Refs let a lot go, but most was, in my opinion, fairly balanced. Maybe a couple of questionable calls but nothing that decided the game. There was a lot of wrestling in the post between Forman/Smylie and Cooper. Only time the game got all that unsettled was when Foster hit the floor (probable culprit: Gower), got back up and went after Todd. Bit of eye for an eye and the refs let Foster chest Gower. Then Cooper shoved Gower a couple of times - temper Coops, temper!

Supposedly a bit of action after the game with a hit on Gower in the tunnel - obviously some history doesn't help?

Sturt spent a fair bit of the game running small (Gower only 15 minutes, Forman 30, Smylie 32; while Flames saw 38 minutes from Krause and 37 from Coops) and the Norwood towers seemed as though they could pose some problems, especially on the boards (56-62 Flames way).

Sturt rallied back from an early deficit and had possession and the lead with 3 seconds left in the first quarter. Ng was brought in, but the ball went Forman - Shepherd - MBauer (who barely caught a high pass at full extension) before sticking a huge three.

Second quarter was fairly even, but by the main break the Sabres had a double-digit margin.

Norwood just weren't as good from the field (32% to Sturt's 43%, and Sturt were 47% from outside -- seven players hit threes) and didn't get to the line as often (10/17 to 21/27).

Given that the Flames are a middle-of-the-pack squad that could beat anyone on their night, the margin was a bit surprising.

Topic #7850 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

tempers did boil over in the tunnel but there was no hit!

Reply #87897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gowers play in the game was very dirty. an intentional trip on foster as he tried to run past as gower was on the floor sparked the whole ruckus

Reply #87899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i herd gower packed it in when the norwood boys confronted him in the tunnel. hes an absolute wanker and the biggest he been or should i say never was there is in this game.

Reply #87905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like it was an interesting night, with a player ejected at Starplex.

Reply #87918 | Report this post

Knowing Will Foster, he is usually a quiet chap. So Toddler perhaps did something cheap? But the Norwood boys have no love for their ex team-mate, and talk a fair bit of trash to him.

Reply #87955 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

No good trash talking if you cant back it up on the court. All you do is make yourself look like a tosser.

Reply #87967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But the Norwood boys have no love for their ex team-mate, and talk a fair bit of trash to him"

Virtually none of the norwood guys played with Gower so hes not an ex teammate.

Reply #87976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i bet the flames boys will give him ac couple big hits if they meet again. and come on who doesn't wanna see that.

Reply #88032 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Foster was pushing and holding all night which surprised me as i remember him for his sweet shooting and arial style of play.
Flames got the benefit of some dubious calls early in the game and by that i dont mean bad just got a good share of anything close to 50/50. And i am not picking the refs ....i wouldn't ref basketball if you paid me!!
Ng was mugged all night and flames also benefitted from a lot of no calls and whinged when a few calls went against them. The Gower-Foster thing didnt look much and Cooper put his nose in so late it was a joke. As for anything off court that is bullshit and not part of the game. i thought Krause might hit a shooting streak and be the X factor but it didn't eventuate. Norwood seemed very tight as a team in the beginning and have the fire power to do well but in the end they fizzled. I dont know if there would have been any hassle in the tunnel if they had won!!!!

Reply #88033 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754