Isaac
Years ago

BA website speed - help needed

A while back a few people posted about the lack of speed exhibited by the Basketball Australia network of sites (the ones using the FuseSport application).

I'm trying to help BA's IT Co-ordinator sort out the possible issue.

Visit a few of these sites:

www.basketball.net.au
www.central.basketball.net.au
www.sarefs.basketball.net.au
www.ababasketball.net.au
www.tas.basketball.net.au

or anything else within the network.

For each, list how long it took to load, whether you've visited the site recently, and anything else that might be useful. Also, include details about where you're located, perhaps your ISP and connection. If you haven't visited any yet, try one of the other sites before the main Basketball Australia one if you can - that might see if the problem is specific to BA, the network, etc.

For me, my visit to www.basketball.net.au took 120 seconds to load. The "Basketball Australia" title appeared in the browser chrome, and then none of the content appeared for 2 minutes. All the other sites in the network I visited after that were normal speed. Even if I visit the SA Refs site in another browser for the first time, it loads at the correct speed. I have 1.5Mbps ADSL through Internode in Adelaide.

Any time I seem to visit www.basketball.net.au for the first time in any given day, the load time is very high. I don't really visit any of the others, so I haven't noticed them. The issue of changing browser and getting the faster load straight away could mean it's IP based. The fact that it happens on a first load suggests a session problem to me, while the title coming up before the content may indicate that it's not related to DNS.

Topic #7977 | Report this topic

Trex  
Years ago

Interesting...

I have only a 256Mbps and they all come up in 10-15 secs...

I am on an Ozemail/iiNet account, may be location specific...

Reply #89247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone emailed me this:

I just tried the www.basketball.net.au site which loaded immediately.

I live in Aberfoyle Pk and have a 1.5mbps ADSL through optusnet.

Update: my ping to basketball.net.au averages 255ms. Similar for the other sites. My 1.5Mbps is shared with about 10-15 computers, and I'm connected wirelessly which may explain the difference between your pings Trex and mine.

I suspect it's a problem in the application code as I said, because the title of the site is showing up fairly quickly, it's the page load that's a killer in that first instance of a session.

Reply #89248 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Here are ping times to same

www.basketball.net.au
Average time over 10 pings: 35.6 ms

www.central.basketball.net.au
Average time over 10 pings: 40.3 ms

www.sarefs.basketball.net.au
Average time over 10 pings: 35.2 ms

www.ababasketball.net.au
Average time over 10 pings: 36.6 ms

Average time over 10 pings: 35.6 ms

Reply #89249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah pretty much the same results as you isaac takes 2 minutes to load first page then any other loads pretty quick.

According to a traceroute it is hosted at maximumasp.com and after some more investigation it is pretty much the same for them. Another website which i stumbled upon having problems is hosted on the same site (not same IP) www.cbronline.com, strange that 2 unrelated websites hosted at the same place have the same problem.

Reply #89250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I too experience the massive wait trying to hit maximumasp.com - the other night I couldn't even get it to load within 5-10 minutes. Two minutes now and it still hasn't come up.

89250, what ISP are you using?

Reply #89251 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Well the domain servers at at
maximumasp.com the actual hosting site could be anywhere..

Reply #89253 | Report this post

Years ago

I am on adsl2 with internode

trex let me guess you are in the us?

Reply #89255 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

No, Melbourne...

Reply #89256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone else able to have a look?

So far the problem could be SA- or Internode-specific...

Reply #89258 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Just had a quick look at work
than
www.basketball.net.au

Both loaded in under 10 seconds, through Bigpond 256 - melbourne.
I'll let you know what its like at home later from internode melbourne from memory the BA site takes a while to load at home - so may be a internode thing?

Reply #89259 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Just tried the basketball.net.au site - all fully loaded in under 10 seconds - no problems whatsoever in navigating the site (other than the shite layout but thats another issue)

Im sitting in Brisy with Bigpond ADSL

hope that helps

Reply #89262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have tested the BA (Centrals, Flames, South etc) sites from:

- Adam Internet - Laptop and PC at my home
- Internode - Lap top at my office and PC at a client site

Im pretty sure Im using IE6.0 on all these sites.

The pages generally do not load. I continually click "GO" or "REFRESH" and this tends to make them load properly after a few tries. Once it loads once everything tends to work fine. If I just let the page load eventually I just get the attached page.

Its been happening for 4-6 weeks.

Something is certainly not right in my opinion. I thought it might have something to do with the On_Session event in the Global.asa file which ASP/IIS uses to set session variables and populate databases fields for session events.

Maybe its also something to do with the Hoster having some kind of tracking software on their webserver which is fired off when sessions are created.

Based on some of the above posts I am starting to think it might be the hoster.

Reply #89266 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Logically, the BA web the server and extrenal/attached systems must be working OK as those in Vic/QLD, so far, do not have a speed issue...something between them and what appears to be SA users is not kosher...I have tried to ping here and it always times out at techex.net.au as does the triplezero domain.

Reply #89269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hoops.com.au and Triplezero.com.au are both hosted with Destra on the same account, and not in South Australia.

Reply #89271 | Report this post

Years ago

I just realised I use Internode at home and not ADAM internet as stated. Maybe it is an Internode problem. All 3 sites I have tested it from used Internode. Wierd

Reply #89272 | Report this post

Years ago

trex what ip address does www.basketball.net.au resolve to.

Mine resolves to the 216.128.12.80 which is in the US and I find it hard to fathom that you are resolving to the same IP address and getting a ping of 35ms.

Reply #89274 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Possibly something relating to reported IP addresses? Doesn't Internode have independent IPs for each dial-up, but report a single one for most users in some situations?

Reply #89276 | Report this post

Years ago

89276, doesnt make much sense. "reported IP addresses", etc please explain.

Reply #89277 | Report this post

Years ago

I could be right Isaac it could be the transparent cache that they have in place. That is only in place in SA so if there is anyone from outside SA on internode it could be a good test, because at the moment it is appearing to be limited to internode.

Reply #89280 | Report this post

Years ago

So would it be up to users of internode to complain to them about this? Or would it be in BAs interest to sort this out with Internode considering around 35% of users in SA probably use internode from either home or work.

Reply #89281 | Report this post

Years ago

I should have read you, sorry :)

However i just remote desktoped to a windows server on internode but in mackay so it doesnt go through any cache and i get the same results, so it doesnt appear to be the internode transparent cache but it still appears to be a problem with internode, possibly.

Reply #89282 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

BA resolves to: 216.128.12.80...

Maybe I will have to review my current intentions to churn to internode...256 ain't to bad after all..hahahaha

Reply #89285 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Internode will mask the true IP address within their network. So one Internode user might be x.x.x.63 and another might be x.x.x.64, but the referer will show to websites as a common x.x.x.y.

I've seen it happening here on the forum and spoken with Internode about it.

Trex, you say that as though you regularly feel the need to go to the BA site...

Reply #89291 | Report this post

Years ago

Isaac I think you will find what you are talking there is their cache engines, and generally if you ask them they will bypass sites for you. I am going to put in a support request to get them to look at it.

Reply #89294 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, wasn't sure of the terminology, but that's my bet - that combined with their session creation.

Reply #89295 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Na...just that I was considering churning to another isp from Ozemail/iiNett, internode was one of a possible three i am considering...it is not good to hear of network speed issues that are not explinable and have been affecting users for 4plus weeks..

Then there were two TPG/Netspace..

Reply #89296 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Well Internode - Melbourne 512 comes in at under 10 seconds for all the sites.

Sorry guys purely a SA internode issue.

BTW who does actually visit those sites regularly?

Reply #89300 | Report this post

Years ago

Thanks for that DJ, your results probably add fuel to the fire for the internode proxy being the cause. The internode proxy is only implemented in SA

Reply #89307 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

All those sites loaded up perfectly in a matter of seconds for me. I'm in the UK with 16meg broadband and haven't been to those sites before.

Reply #89318 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'm on Bigpond cable in Adelaide and the sites load within 10 seconds for me.

Reply #89325 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm going through TransACT in Canberra for home, no issues what so ever. Work is another issue, but I'm not going into that for obvious reasons......

Reply #89335 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Hi

Click Here
One of many discussions on Whirlpool re speed out of SA via Internode...and this may be more pertanant Click Here

Reply #89353 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I'm in sunny downtown Brisbane. All sites load in under 10 secs.

Reply #89359 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Which part of Brisy Sturty6ers?

Reply #89361 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Working in the City, living SW. Do you want to catch up for a coffee?

Reply #89365 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yeah - or a beer would be my beverage of choice! I live on the GCoast and work in Albion so Im sure we can work something out.

Reply #89368 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Before someone tells us to get a room send your email address to [email protected]

Reply #89372 | Report this post

Ryan (BA IT)  
Years ago

All,

Thanks for your assistance on this matter.

Hopefully a resolution isn't too far away.

Ryan
BA IT

Reply #89402 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:33 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754