Isaac
Years ago

Hang Time 18, general news

Here's the opening page from Hang Time Vol. 10 No. 18.

Forestville Eagles Basketball Club finished two weeks of intensive activity on a high note with both their men's and women's teams completing a successful double. As hosts of the 2006 Australian Under 18 Junior Championships, the club staged a very successful tournament at Wayville Sports Centre.

Both the men and women from NSW Country were successful in taking the gold medals. While the overall results for South Australian teams were a little disappointing, all four SA Metropolitan and Country teams finished the tournament on a high note by winning their final games. The SA Metro women's team is to be congratulated on winning the bronze medal!

With a double round last weekend, the pressure was on in the BankSA State League as wins were paramount for teams with finals' aspirations. With the club completing the AJC on Saturday night, Forestville Eagles faced up to a home game on Sunday, playing Sturt Sabres. The Eagles were successful in both the men's and women's games, taking the men to the top of the ladder and the women to within one game of the Sabres. This was after completing a successful double against the Panthers on the Saturday night.

Narelle Lindsay (28 points at 64.7%, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals against the Sabres) and Jason Dix (37 points at 60%, 16 rebounds and 7 assists against the Panthers) posted their season high scores for the Eagles, playing a major role in the successful weekend.

Important double wins to the North Adelaide Rockets teams consolidated their positions on the ladder, the women now being safe for finals participation.

This week's rounds will test those teams still seeking a spot in the five. The spotlight will be on Norwood Flames and Southern Tigers in the women's league, both teams having double headers culminating in the clash between them on Sunday.

In the men's league a three-way tussle will continue as Woodville Warriors, North Adelaide Rockets and Norwood Flames seek fourth and fifth rungs on the ladder. None of their games could be considered as certainties, such is the competitiveness of the league this season.

Struck down by injuries to both the men's and women's teams, Central Districts Lions again seem destined to finish at the bottom of the ladder after promising so much, particularly the men's team. The difference to previous years has been their competitiveness, which promises much for the future.
Pick up a copy at your local stadium/ABL game for the full results and previews.

Ladder: Men

Forestville
Sturt
Eastern
North
Woodville

Norwood
South
Southern
West
Centrals

Ladder: Women

Sturt
Forestville
North
West
Southern

Norwood
Eastern
South
Woodville
Centrals

Not sure on games still to play, but in the womens Norwood can probably still make the finals, though only at the expense of Southern. For the men, Norwood could possibly displace Woodville or North, but South down are off the pace and will miss out.

Some pretty tough tips this week - Mavs vs Flames in both should be close, Warriors vs Panthers in both as well, West vs Southern women, North vs Forestville women, Southern vs Norwood women. I've worked my way up to 15th in the tipping from about 80th, but that might be about as far as I can take it.

Topic #7980 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

MEN
North 11w 9l
head to head over Flames
Play Eagles & Warriors

Woodville 11w 9l
head to head over Rockets
Play Panthers & Rockets

Norwood 10w 9l
head to head over Woodville
Play Mavs, Tigers & West

Could easily end up a three way tie with all above teams finishing on 12 wins.

Reply #89427 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

Just having a think back to last years abl grandfinal for the men,and i have to say the eagles really chocked!As fianls are fast approaching I'll be looking out to see what happens this year

Reply #89435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure the Woodville boys appreciate the credit you have just given them.....

Reply #89453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754