Rambo
Years ago

It's basketball not football

What is it with basketball players these days? have they forgotten that basketball is supposed to be a non contact sport. I am not saying that it should be played like netball but throwing elbows and tackling is not in the rules and should not be done. And when the refs say and/or do something the players don't listen. they keep on going on with it. And then the players get fouled off and all of a sudden the ref is a cheat.

Why don't some of the players get some balls (and i am not talking about basketballs) and ref the game. and those refs who do play, why not treat the ref on your game the way you want to be treated.

It is a load of BS how the players carry on and after a letter was sent to all clubs about their attitude towards the referees nothing has changed. Players and clubs need to do something or there will be no ref's left.

Topic #8024 | Report this topic

Phizzer  
Years ago

Let me guess, you're an umpire, just got back from umpiring social ball and you're upset?

Reply #89650 | Report this post

Rambo  
Years ago

too good for that!!! let me guess you play d grade social.

Reply #89653 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

basketball is not a non-contact sport. its a

contact may be penalised

sport.

Netball is a non-contact sport.

Reply #89694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Social grade lack of call cause fights as in social ball no one really cares if they cop an ejection. What I hate is div 1 games where people are getting raped and nothing is called. The area I most hate is when an athlete gets up there and is scragged while in the air there are no calls. Limited contact is expected but full on is just not basketball.

Reply #89700 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can anyone explain why a fingertip on a guard at half court is a foul, but a hip & shoulder under the basket isn't?

Reply #89707 | Report this post

Mufflover  
Years ago

It's frustrating when fouls on the dribble are not called ie a team is palying a trap and raping the crap out of your team but constant no calls, but then they'll call any contact under the basket... it really is a advantage to be able to physically chop and attack the dribbler/passer and get away with it, the problem is if your team doesn't play that way.

One ref at social is always tough, especially in the lower grades where the players simpy do not understand the rules or are ignorant. The amount of morons that abuse the refs at social it's little wonder they struggle to get them, it should be a 0 tolerance rule, no abuse, you can talk to the referee and ask for an explanation to improve communication between refs but abuse of any kind should be a tech.

Reply #89749 | Report this post

Baby J  
Years ago

I've questioned refs (after games) about the lack of fouls in specific areas of the game and one word keeps coming back to me: Interpretation.

Its how its interpreted, apparantly, that is more important than the actual foul itself. It seems the rules have become far more complicated than they should be. Why cant a foul be a foul.

A comment I've been hearing from refs lately is "I'm not bailing you out". This one really jacks me off as like most players, I don't want to be bailed out, I just want a foul that's there to be called, otherwise they're bailing the defender out. Doesn't make sense to me

My personal favourite is when the player with the ball gets pushed out of court illegally, and instead of calling one of two correct calls (a foul on the defense or out of court by the person with the ball) they say it is out off the defender. This is plain and simple bailing the defender out of a foul that depending on circumstances could have a big influence on a game.

Reply #89857 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Recent ABL umpire responses when questioned about calls:

Didn't you see that hit?
She didn't hit you "enough" to make you fall over.
No, only "enough" to put me out of court and turn the ball over.

After losing a rebound content:
What about that push?
She's bigger, she should be able to take it.

I'm all for letting the game flwo but a push is a push, a hit is a hit and when ur disadvantaged it has to be called a foul.

Reply #89887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To everyone who has wasted people's time by whinging and complaining.

Go through your club and contact the right people.

Posts like those above are pointless and achieve nothing.

Reply #89888 | Report this post

Rambo  
Years ago

To anonymous, Can i guess that you are a player who never does wrong in your own eyes but gets fouled off each week.

Clubs have been notified about their attitudes towards referees, and that it was a major cause of the shortage of referees.

If the clubs were serious about maintaining quality basketball, the coaches, managers and commitee members would be and should be taking the players away from the court whether it is for part of the game, immediately after or for a week more.

The idea of this post is to make referees and players aware of the problems that exists and to deal with it to improve the game.

Please keep adding to this post to help improve the game.

Reply #89955 | Report this post

BabyJay  
Years ago

I think much of this problem is not to do with the standard of referees, but the way they are being told to umpire.

These 'Interpretations' that I can't stand are frustrating the hell out of players and sometimes you can't help but get angry.

However, if you've got something to say I agree you should do so in an appropriate manner after the game.

Reply #90056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754