DJ
Years ago

Where does all this leave Daws?

So what happens to Mike Daws now? Will he stay on for at least the first year with the 36ers, will he move into a role within BSA - although seems that would be a backward step for someone of his ability/credentials.

Or does he get thrown to the curb?

Topic #8051 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti suggested in one of his articles today that Daws may be retained to lead the 36ers in day-to-day operations.

Current BASA chief executive Mike Daws - in concert with Jackson and Government-appointed interim controller Bruce Carter, one of the chief architects of the sport's new face - is unlikely to be part of the restructure. Daws is a contender for the CEO role within Mal Hemmerling's new Adelaide 36ers' structure.

"I'll put my hand up for that and that's no secret," he said.

"I talked with Mal and it's completely up to him as to how he wants the team managed."

Reply #89965 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

How responsible is he for the situation BASA found itself in. And if he is partly responsible (which I gather he would have to be) why would the 36ers look at hiring him??

Reply #89974 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daws had nothing to do with BASA's situation - he came in only recently.

Reply #89981 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

read todays paper lockstock and see the time lines for what has gone wrong and u will see mike daws has nothing to do with these problems,i have had some dealings with mike and he has been extemely professional and shown a far greater interest in the day to day runnings than others in his position have.it would be a great loss if he is lost to basketball

Reply #89984 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

This is the timeline that was reported in the 'Adelaide Now' paper:

* 1989 - $12 million loan to BASA by the Government to construct the Clipsal Powerhouse at Findon.

* 1991 - $3 million extra advanced by Government.
* 1995 - $250,000 annual Government grant to BASA to hold entertainment functions at basketball stadium (continued in 2002 restructure).

* 1998 - Financial arrangements between BASA and Government reviewed by Equity & Advisory Ltd. Review found BASA would need to fund loan obligations from external sources or asset sales if loan from Government was not restructured and percentage of debt forgiven.

* 1999 - $250,000 Government grant to BASA to promote basketball in the state. Ceased in 2002 restructure.

* 2000 - Revised financial arrangements resulting in partial write-off and restructuring of original loan with outstanding BASA loan amount being $11 million and instalments payable half-yearly over 20 years to June 30, 2020. Interest rate reset to prevailing market rate.

* 2001 - Two further general-purpose grants of $300,000 (for 2000-01) and 250,000 (for 2001-02) paid to BASA to overcome financial difficulties associated with GST.

* 2002 - Government provided financial assistance package that included: Loan structure whereby interest is not paid for a period of five years expiring June 30, 2007; Repayment of principal on maturity of the loan in 2020 (previously annual principal repayments were required); Annual grants of $250,000 for a five-year period expiring June 30, 2007.

* 2004 - Auditor-General tables his report on a review of BASA to both Houses of Parliament - requested by the Treasurer in view of BASA's financial situation. The report included a number of recommendations including establishing a level of indebtedness for BASA that can reasonably be serviced by the organisation from 2007-08.

* 2004 - The BASA Board appoints PPB to undertake solvency review of BASA. The main conclusions of the report indicated continuing underlying financial problems at BASA and noted that without increased financial support from the Government, and in the absence of a realistic restructuring strategy, BASA would not be able to pay its debts as and when they fall due.

* 2005 - In view of consistent substantive yearly losses incurred ($734,000 loss for 2003-04 and $708,000 loss for 2004-05), the Treasurer approved the engagement of PPB to undertake further analysis of BASA's operations and identify restructuring options for BASH.

* 2006 - Three BASA assets sold - The Adelaide 36ers to Mal Hemmerling and the Distinctive Homes Dome to Eddy Groves for net $3.95 million; the Adelaide Lightning to Link Engineering for $113,000. New Basketball SA Commission formed to administer grassroots basketball.

Reply #90025 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

OK so that answers my question(forgot the question mark!). I don't know much about him, but most people seem to say he is a good seed.

Reply #90029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He likes to laugh.

Like Dr Hibberb

Reply #90038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754