Fly on the wall
Years ago

The Sale controversy continues on Radio over sale

The State Opposition Leader was on ABC radio today and is not happy with how the process was conducted and is questioning a few points. The main issue I guess is that the new owner of the 36ers is the Chairman of the 36ers board, the new owner of the Dome is also on the board, and to complete the trifecta, the Administrator and decision maker Bruce Carter is also on the NBL board.

I guess Bruce mentioned in a board meeting that he was struggling to get much interest in the sale and one could get the assets for a bargin price.

Topic #8064 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a point here I reckon. These guys would have access to info about wht the league was planning and whether it was a good time to buy.

Reply #90053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk is that the NBL have given the go ahead to the Gold Coast to enter next season and are also in talks to have 3 more Asian teams to enter the league over the next 2 years.

I think the above would make the value of a licence go up as they are more in demand and it will be easier for NBL teams to get sponsors.

And this is the info that Mal had access to. I think Mal will be a good owner, but you must question how he got the team.

Reply #90054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know why (what your motive) or how anyone can question Bruce Carters and Wayne Jackson integrity or credibility to the sale process?

You suggest that he has given some sort of inside information, where is your evidence of any of this happening?

The objective was to get the best possible out come for basketball in this state and if that also happened to be the highest then that was a bonus.

If Jimmy the snitch won 40 million dollars in Powerball last Thursday night and offered to buy the Dome, Sixer and Lightning for 20 million the administrators would have said NO, money was only a small part of the equation.

Other bidder didn't have the experience or financial wealth to win the confidence of the administration team.

Reply #90058 | Report this post

WSR  
Years ago

Dear Sir,

I write to you representing the Worst Sydney Razzlehacks. Can you please provide contact information for Jimmy the Snitch as we have a business proposition for him.

Hopefully,

W.S. Razzlehack

Reply #90060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If someone offered $3,950,001 they would of beaten the Hemmerling/Groves bid, they wanted the most money.

Reply #90061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome to the forum Bruce.

"how anyone can question Bruce Carters integrity or credibility to the sale process?

Reply #90062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mmm I wonder what party mentioned this to the opposition party. Time to except the umpires decision and move on.

Reply #90063 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

#90061 what an absolutely rediculous statement.
And I'm with #90058, to question Bruce Carter's integrity is a very, very big call.

Reply #90068 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

*ridiculous

Reply #90069 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

i don't question the process i think the right person bought the team. Lewis & Peregine bids would have been good, MVP less attractive but Mal Hemmerling has the knowledge, the passion, the business acumen to make this a long term winner.

Were i get most upset is the ability for Groves to hold concerts at the stadium. Are the sixers programs going to be subject to concert tours?

Are the courts going to be available for sixers trainings etc for state champs etc or will Disney be raining on our parade?

I'm all for the upgrade of the stadium, that will happen. New sound system etc and realise the money has to be recouped somewhere but just how does Mr Foley and Mr Rann justify that a private owner can operate the facility as a concert venue.

Tell me in PLAIN ENGLISH Mr Foley just what difference there is in Groves organising a concert and not BASA of 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994

Perhaps (at it might be a big perhaps) if concerts had been allowed. the financial nightmare of the past decade might not have happened.

All i can say is Mr Foley speaks with a forked tongue.

Reply #90070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annon 90063: Which party mentioned this to the opposition? I can see why you didn't put your name to that stupid post. It has been all over the news what has happened, it's no secret about the NBL board connections.

Reply #90071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#90068 :

They have publically said that they were out to get the best price and that's who won the bid.

If anyone offered more, it would of gone to the highest bidder.

Reply #90072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the MVP party not of been a good one to get it?

Reply #90076 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Tony Blair, I am not a Labor supporter at all, but I think that it was a previous Liberal Government who made the deal to disallow concerts at the Dome.

Reply #90079 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

you are all suckers.

It is the oppostions job to oppose whatever the MP's do.

There is no such thing as a win-win situation in politics, its either

Taken too long - or - been rushed
Not enough info - or - spent too much on fact finding
An underqualified person - or - someone who's out-dated.

I think how little the opposition has been harping on about it means it was a job well done. If there had really been a stuff-up/conflict etc it would've been massively debated, not what we are seeing now.

Reply #90089 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

The issue is that if some bidders where given more favourable terms than all other bidders where allowed to buy under.

That is a big problem in an open and equal tender situation.

Reply #90095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We HAVE a State Opposition party?

Reply #90099 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

If there was collusion, I am sure the ACCC will be interested to know. It is illegal.

If there is no collusion, and, if (as appears to be the case) the best bid won, what the hell does it matter?

If you don't know one way or another, don't speculate, because to suggest (wrongly) that someone has done an illegal act is potentially libellous.

To slander the good name of someone like Bruce Carter (one of the preeminent insolvency experts in SA) is not only unfair, but not very smart.

So go speak with the ACCC if you are aggrevied, otherwise shut up.

Reply #90106 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Maybe instead they should speak with ASIC. I don't think ACCC will be interested

Reply #90107 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

I'm not upset with Carter et al but with the about face the govt has done on holding concerts or using the dome for anything other than basketball.

Just bleating our woes that what could have been. All politicans play politics (who would have thought it!) and regardless of who what when or why it was stopped, life would/could have been vastly different if the venue was utlise in the way it was invisaged and budgeted for.

Reply #90109 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The about face also meant the loss of $250,000 paid by the govt to BASA every year which was the trade off for the Dome not holding other events.

Reply #90114 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

For the fans does it really matter who 'won'.

The fact is that someone (who has been around the game for a long time) is the new owner. Someone who surely knows alot about what needs to be done to make/keep the team successful and for them hopefully profitable.

Sit back and think if all the offers were the same $$ value who would you choose?

MVP - Well known basketball on the local scene Bell and a somewhat unkown backer.

Peregine - Obviously good business knowledge, passionate about basketball

Lewis - Family history with the club

Hemmerling & Grooves - NBL Chairmen, member of the board probably been around the NBL in a high capacity alot longer than any of the others.

To me on paper the best credientials are the new owners - does that mean they also offered the most money - I don't know probably - does that mean they are the best, who knows I'm sure the other parties would all have had their own ways of operating and their own vision. Fact is that Hemmering is the new owner, grooves owns the dome and they had the best credientials and probably the most money on offer!

Why is there so much bickering about it all? It is not that uncommon for interested parties to remain anonymous throughout the process.

Personally I'm looking forward to what Hemmerling can do with the 36ers and what kind of input/effect Grooves will have.

Reply #90140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many 6ers games has hemmerling been to in the last 5 years?

Reply #90144 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

(#90144)who really cares - as NBL chairman I'm sure he has been to a few.

Also with all of his business committments it might not allow him time to go. Also you might be surprised to find that it could be lots.

The main thing is that Mal is passionate about basketball, passionate enough to be still involved in the game 40 years after he started. You don't have to attend games to be passionate, you don't have to attend games to be eligible to buy the team.

I agree DJ best alway round with Vince Marino a good fit for the women's team owner.

Reply #90145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just in.....

MVP Sport has been flooded.....

with tears.....

Reply #90148 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

What does it matter how many games he has been to in the last 5 years - Personally I've been to probably a quarter of the home games in the last 5 years - does that make me ineligible to put an offer down, or just not fit to be the owner?

Let's move on people.

Reply #90159 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Lockstock - ACCC is concerned with fair tendering issues, collusion and breaches of Trade Practices. You are however also correct, as ASIC deals in breaches of duty by directors, receivers and managers etc.

Reply #90168 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754