Hoop Addict
Years ago

Funny My 2006 ABL Awards

Here are my All Star 5 teams for the 2006 ABL season, as well as other awards. Would be good if someone may be able to do something similar for the girls.

1st Team

PG - Brad Hill (Eastern) : While he still may not be (and may never be) a pure PG, he's run the point for Eastern all year, with quite a bit of success. With Hill & his running mate Madgen, the Mavs have possessed the most offensively potent back court in the ABL in 2006.Hill was the best rebounding guard in 2006, snaring 9.4 rpg to go with his 20ppg & 4.7 apg. While there's still room for improvement in his shot selection, conversion rate & turnovers, I think Hill has taken a step forward towards being more "NBL-ready" in 2006-07.

SG - Damian Scanlon (South) : After a bit of a breakout season in 2005, Scanlon certainly raised his game in 2006. His 26ppg were good enough for 2nd in the league and while his shooting %'s weren't flash, he was asked to take (and make) some tough shots for the offensively-limited Panthers. It was a bit of a case of either being really hot (see : 42 points @ 53% vs West, 51 points @ 60% vs Woodville & 46 points @ 57%, also against Woodville) or really cold (see : 5/26 game vs Norwood, 2 X 6/26 games against Norwood & Centrals & one 2/18 game against Eastern). I also think he's an under-rated defender, and is certainly one of the best at getting himself open looks by working off the ball. Figures to feature prominently in the Wollacott race.

SF - Darren Ng (Sturt) : My favourite for the Wollacott. Ng has had an exceptional season, capped off with a season-high 52 against South in the last round. His form has rarely fluctuated & his shooting percentages (48% FGs, 43% 3's) have been fantastic. It speaks volumes of his talent that an almost-strictly jump shooting guard can crack the top 10 in FG %. Ng has also displayed great anticipation on the defensive end to gather close to 2 steals per game, while also reeling in 6 rebounds per game. Ideally he'd be a 2 man, but for the sake of trying to get close to the best 5 in the 1st team, he's playing the 3spot.

PF - Jason Dix (Forestville) : While he may not have quite duplicated his 2005 form, he's still one tough customer & good enough to make my 1st team. His averages dipped from 24ppg & 14rpg in 2005 to 21ppg & 11rpg in 2006, but he's always a threat & reliable in big games. With Forestville losing Farman after 2005 & gaining Arnold & regaining Campbell, they were probably a little more perimeter oriented this season. Despite a couple of hiccups in the last 2 rounds of the season, Forestville are still very much in the title hunt, and Dix is a big reason for that.

C - David Cooper (Norwood) : It may be painful for 36ers fans see Cooper not dominating the ABL offensively, but there's no denying his defensive talent & importance to the Flames. Cooper easily lead the ABL in rebounds & blocks per game this season, and was the Flames anchor. Devoid of a go-to post move, Cooper still managed to score an average of 14ppg on put backs & gets good position to be a receiver when Matthews & Webber penetrate. He may never be a big scorer, but in my opinion, he was still the best 5 man in the ABL in 2006.

2nd team

PG - Michael Zorich (North) : Took the reins as the Rockets' on court leader in 2006 & has lead them to another finals campaign. His stats increase may have been relatively minimal (from 12ppg, 6rpg, 5apg in 2005 to 14ppg, 6rpg, 6apg in 2006) but I think he's clearly established himself as North's leader in the absence of Hawkes & McKay. Zorich featured prominently on the stats leaderboard, with his 6.2apg ranking 3rd (1st amongst regular players), 1st in steals & 10th in minutes. His shooting leaves a bit to be desired (48% FTs, 21% 3s) but his all-court game is solid & still improving.

SG - Ben Madgen (Eastern) : One of the big improvers of the 2006 season in my opinion. Proved himself to be one of the hardest covers in the league by scoring 22ppg, good for 3rd in the league. Madgen has been remarkably consistent in 2006, and has shown an ability to score inside & out, with his improved 3 point stroke leading him to hit on 38% of his attempts. A potential star of the future, one has to wonder how good he could possibly be after a stint at a US college.

SF - Oscar Forman (Sturt) : Has had a bit of a disappointing 2006 ABL season, with his shooting stroke seemingly deserting him for long stretches . After averaging 24ppg & 15rpg in 2005, his averages dropped to 16ppg & 11rpg in 2006. Appeared content to take a back seat to the Darren Ng show too often this year, and his shooting %'s plummeted to 36% FGs & 32% 3s (from a guy who has hit 48% on 3s the past 2 years in the NBL). Forman still attracted one of the oppositions top defenders every game & would often hit clutch shots in tight games to help Sturt to tough victories.

PF - Austin Smylie (Sturt) : After watching his 1st game against the Rockets, I wondered why on earth Sturt even wanted him. Once he got himself acclimatized though, he proved to be one of the better big men in the league. Showed himself to be a very competent scorer with his back to the basket, as well as being able to step outside and knock down mid range jumpers & even connected on 41% of his 3s. Smylie is a deceptive athlete who entertained crowds with some nice finishes & was also a great rebounder.

C - Nick Hambour (North) : Another who arguably had a better season in 2005, Hambour finished 2006 with very respectable averages of 16ppg, 10rpg & 4apg. I think the biggest improvement in his game was his court awareness & passing, as evidenced by the increase in his assists from 1 per game in 2005 to 4 per game in 2006. Hambour's mid-range game has improved in the past few years, to the point that he's a threat out to 18 feet, and he's still tough in the paint & on the offensive boards.

Honourable mention : Keith Krause (Norwood), Andrew Puddifoot (Woodville), Matt Sutton (Forestville)

Not considered due to lack of games : Brett Maher (Sturt), Jacob Holmes (Eastern), Brad Gerlach (Southern), Jye Watson (Centrals).

Rookie of the Year

Chris Molitor (West) : Molitor was highly inconsistent in his rookie season, but had enough impressive games to average 11ppg & 6rpg. At 6'7", he has the height to match it with the big boys, but also a nice outside stroke that allows him to play on the perimeter. His stats were probably bolstered by the apparent attitude of "if I get mine, who cares about the win?" coming from the Westies camp. With a solid young core though, hopefully the Bearcats will be able to rebuild relatively quickly.

Honourable Mention : Jordan Dodman (Sturt)

Most Improved

Tristan Braithwaite (Southern) : Braithwaite's 2nd half of the season was phenomenal. In the final 10 games of the season, Braithwaite averaged nearly 25ppg, including 2 games of 40+. While his shot selection can be suspect, he makes enough to always be a danger, and his blistering pace allows him to get to the hole with relative ease. Still has some improving to do on the defensive end, but his improvement offensively in 2006 was great.

Honourable Mention : Ben Madgen (Eastern), Rory Craddock (West), Daniel Lalic (Southern)

6th Man

Brenton Campbell (Forestville) : Without question, I think Campbell would have to be a starter on any other ABL team. In fact, had he had a full pre-season with Forestville, he may well have started ahead of Sullivan. Campbell has the ability to change the game in a very short space of time with his shooting ability and quickness. Like Braithwaite, he's the kind of guy who needs the ball in his hands to influence the game, but I think he's returned to Adelaide with improved PG skills.

Honourable Mention : Doug MacDonald-Taylor (Forestville), Mark Fuller (South)

Topic #8109 | Report this topic

BC  
Years ago

Well done Hoop Addict that was a good read and you have it spot on in my book.

Reply #90530 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

I agree spot on almost, i think Hambour has had a better year than Cooper so swap them around.

who would be coach of the year?? Richard Hill perhaps?

Reply #90532 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think Hambour suffered a little from inconsistancy. That being said, I saw Cooper get stitched up pretty good by Smylie one game, too. Probably could go either way.

As for Coach of the Year - Hill would have to be up there. I don't think any coach has had an exceptional season.

Reply #90533 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Richard Hill for me as coach of the year!

Reply #90534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work hoop addict. spot on with the awards I think. Cooper deserves his spot in the all star 5. 4 points less than Hambour, but 5 more rebouds a game, and over 3 blocks a game...you could consider him for best defender this year as well I think. also in the defender categlorie Scott Arnold has had a good year defensively(think he kept Puddifoot to 2 points in one game). Not sure who else.

Coach of the year I'm not to sure. A few contenders. Richard Hill won it last year with his team finishing 4th after being champions the year before....not sure how that worked. They have finished 3rd this year so who knows? North and Norwood were the big improvers of 2006, so Loveday and Sapwell would have to be a chance, and Sturt and Forestville were stand out teams all year so Bauer and Simons also have a very good case for winning it. When it is such a close call, I think it should just go to the championship winning coach! With the Wollacott being held the week before the GF, that option is obviously out of the question.

Reply #90536 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

An excellent write up hoop addict, clearly you have been following the players and league very closely.
I'm not sure who the North coach is, but I think he deserves coach of the year. He has that team firing and in my opinion doesn't have the talent that any of the other top 5 teams possess. North in my book have always been the premier senior program that play team basketball, and I think the coach of the year award should reflect that.

Reply #90540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a coach of the year should also reflect good sportmanship

a few coaches this year have been found wanting

As the sturt scorebench who the isn't their favourite coach from his appalling behaviour towards them on at least two occassions this year.

One coach who has been mooted as being coach of the year has gone as a far as following a referee 2/3 of the way home - that consitutes stalking IMO and someone who isn't in control of their emotions nor their actions do we want to reward that type of person with coach of the year?

Reply #90542 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

coach of the year, well i would have to agree with lockstock in giving it to loveday, i think he has done a tremendous job with getting the rockets to the finals, including winning their last 4 or 5 against tough opponents.
1st team, i would probably have zorich in there instead of hill, as i think hill's numbers are good, but lacks any real leadership on court in my opinion, and zorich was the leader of a very young north outfit.
otherwise, i would have to agree with every other award that you have covered.....very good post!

Reply #90550 | Report this post

Yol  
Years ago

which coach followed the umps? wouldnt that be reportable???

are you sure you have your facts in check?

I think loveday deserves coach of the year and from what I have seen his sportsmenship and reaction towards the refs etc have improved this year.

Reply #90553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2/3 of the way home? Isn't it possible that they just lived on the same side of town?

Reply #90558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a question for North fans or observers. Have heard varying reports about Loveday. Do North play well because of him or despite him?

Reply #90571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#90558)(#90553)

they don't live in the same area
facts checked

Reply #90575 | Report this post

Yol  
Years ago

again I say if the coach was stalking the umpire then the umpire would have reported the coach.

I know the Aba umpires and know they would not except this unless it was perhaps a rookie which I could not see any coach stalking.

Reply #90577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yol,

You obviously don't 'know the Aba umpires' as well as you think because the claim above is definately accurate.

I too don't think there was a clear cut Coach of the Year, and IF behaviour is included in the selection process then IMO only 2 coaches from top 5 teams deserve to be in with a shot.

Reply #90586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your so sure then put a name to the person.

Reply #90595 | Report this post

My 5

Zorich
Ng
Holmes
Smylie
Cooper

Rookie
Molitor

Most Improved
Craddock

6th man
Campbell (is there even another contender?)

Defensive
Cooper

Reply #90602 | Report this post

Chuck D  
Years ago

I think the whole coaching staff at north is solid, i do recall shuller starting their win streak coaching against west. they seem to work well and the team seems to respond to them well. so to say they play well despite Loveday i think is wrong they just respond well to those guiding them, regardless of who it is.

Reply #90603 | Report this post

yaga  
Years ago

There is no way that loveday can get it.. wow you finished 4th big deal.. coach of thew year should be the one who can get the team from bottom of the table to finals.. in that case it should be hilly... especially after the weekends win with 7 players after half time down by 25... bungey can get the chopper award for being a phsyco

Reply #90638 | Report this post

I'm sure if any other team had Jacob AND Hill they would of done well too

Reply #90722 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Loveday had a young North team, with some big name veterans retireing, which would normally make them a non finals team. He gets my vote for finishing top 4. Zorich for Most Improved : numbers may not have lifted too much, but on court leadership was vastly improved.

Reply #90739 | Report this post

Patty R  
Years ago

When looking at a coach's performance you need to consider probably four things at least:

1. Where did the team finish this year compared to last year?

2. What players came in/out of the team from last year?

3. Has the overal standard of the competition improved/declined?

4. Where would have the team finished if the Phil Jackson (or the best coach you've ever had) was coaching them?

Keeping these things in mind and assuming that the competition has got stronger (which most would tend to agree with) I think the only three coaches who are in consideration are (based on minor rounds only - which is another flaw when selecting COY):

Simons: Similar team to last year (Arnold and Campbell come in but Newley and Wilson go out) and still able to match last years effort.

Loveday: Team probably got a bit weaker on paper but they have improved from 7th to 4th (No Hawkes and McKay but Groves comes back in). Hard to tell if the improvement is because of Loveday and not having the issue of the generation gap that caused problems last year or maybe part of the improvement was to do with Schuller?

Bauer: A bit hard to judge Potsie's performance because it is hard to know if this year's team was better than last years on paper. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that they were fairly even. This year's lineup was much more unsettled with Shepherd, Gower, Maher, Smylie and himself all only playing parts of the season so he did a wonderful job keeping the team chemistry and putting the wins on the board. Note here that any team with Ng in the form he was in would do well.

The others probably couldn't win coach of the year for the following reasons:

Hill: Any coach that adds Holmes and Hill and has Madgen after a season training with the sixers and finishes about the same as last year probably would be hard pressed to win COY. Still has done a great job tho.

Sapwell: Probably should have added a fifth criteria above and that is the respect of the players. I'm not sure Sapper has this and he has probably underachieved given that he has added three quality players in Cooper, Matthews and Eley.

KB: I think KB is a great coach and had "da wood" made the finals he would surely be considered. Could not find anyone to fill Elders shoes but you have to love the way he gets those kids to play.

Manning: The team is progressing well and I think he will reap the rewards of two solid years next year. He makes them play hard. But South probably would have been expecting to make the finals this year after last year's near miss. A tougher competition and the loss of Pilkington prevented that from happening.

Hopkins: Same frustrating year for Billy - win some great games, lose some you should win and have plenty of injuries. A fit Gerlach and Alexander all season would have meant finals action.

Grieger: According to Hoops stats West only won three games last year when neither Truslove or Nash played so it was always going to be tough without them for the whole season. As such the jury is probably still out on his coaching credentials. Hats off tho for sticking with the kids in a lot of games - hopefully this combined with some off season recruiting will lift the bearcats next season.

Ricky: Could not possibly judge his coaching after the injury riddled season he had. I think he is a great coach and has respect from the players. too bad those players couldn't play all year.

Reply #91017 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Arnold and Campbell are an upgrade on Newley and Wilson in ABL context I think.

No offense to Potsie, but Ng, Forman and Smylie would be OK under any coach, and then you add Maher for a few games too. I think people might underestimate Smylie's impact because he wasn't playing 40 MPG - the guy is NBL bench material IMO.

I don't think there's any real stand out. North as a team have had the biggest improvement while losing two solid players who played reasonable minutes, but if there's a question about whether that improvement came from the removal of a generation gap, then you could lean towards Andy at Forestville?

Womens?

Reply #91021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky for turning up each week not certain which team would take the floor

so much talent available so few games with a full squad.

strange as it seems i'd give Kylie Taylor the nod simply cause she has improved Centrals yes the help of Conn & McLean but Centrals have improved in leaps and bounds compared to seasons before.

Reply #91027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky and Kylie huh.........with both teams coming last... obviously your not showing any Centrals bias at all!!

Reply #91030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noel in the womens?

Reply #91136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#91030) i'm not even from Centrals

Reply #91141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noel in the womens? haha

Reply #91144 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

You couldn't seriously consider Potsie; anybody could get that lineup to win. Simons is my 1st choice, followed by Loveday. Both have done their jobs without imports & high profile NBL players.

Reply #91608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sapper?? last to 3rd at minimum??

Reply #92154 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

i'd say sapwell, even though they did add cooper i think he did a good job to get them to the finals playing good team basketball.

Reply #92214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is based on regular season - it's hard to do but you need to disregard finals - Sappa nearly didn't make finals.....wind clock back 3 weeks ago when they got in coz North beat Woodville

Reply #92220 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

i know it doesn't factor in finals, but they still made finals regardless..doesn't say how they made it on the ladder.

Reply #92255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares as long as you get there your a chance. and rupert has them playing their best basketball at the right time of year

Reply #92751 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754