group to the hoop
Years ago

Q - Div 2 @ large club or Div 1 @ smaller ?

is a kid better permanently in div 2 at a large club (with no show of cracking div 1 due to depth)- or going div 1 at a mid sized or smaller club?

anyone done this? what are their thoughts / experiences?

Topic #8133 | Report this topic

Meaks  
Years ago

I think if you want the kid to become the best player possible then he/she should go to a club where they will compete against the best players around!!! If this means playing D2 then so be it, in the long run if the kid has the perserverance and talent they will make it to D1!!! At the end of the day who wants to go to a terrible club and play D1 and lose everygame?? Not me!!

Reply #90716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps you could go to the smaller club and you/your child could help develop that club around them. IE grow with the club.

Reply #90731 | Report this post

I Think  
Years ago

This issue comes up every year and the solution is really quite simple - LET CLUBS ENTER MORE THAN ONE DIV 1 TEAM IF THEY HAVE THE DEPTH.

The change a few years ago of not allowing this did not have the desired effect for the smaller clubs. All that has happened is that in some grades, you have Div 2 teams going through undefeated and winning every game by 40 points.

What makes the eastern states so strong - not older, bigger or better kids, it is simply the fact that they are competing against the best teams - the teams that deserve to be in the highest division and not just the team that is there because their clubs are entitled to enter a team at that level. Teams getting thrashed by 50+ points every game just shouldn't be in Div 1.

Every year this is highlighted in the Nunawading tournament when Div 2 teams easily defeat Div 1 teams in the same grade.

Junior basketball will never develop in this state as long as we have this narrow minded view of trying to keep all the clubs happy.

The formula is simple - play your best teams in the best grade. If a club happens to have two teams in Div 1, then so be it. Why should those kids miss out or have to move to another club (to which they have no loyalty) just to play in a Div 1 team and develop anyway.

BSA - please wake up!!!!

Reply #90735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHen did it change? When did clubs have more than 1 team in Div 1? This has only occured a couple of times over the past 30 yrs.

Reply #90736 | Report this post

I Think  
Years ago

2 years ago, several clubs had more than one team in Div 1 in both girls and boys. Then at a vote, all the clubs except Sturt and North Adelaide voted to end the option and only allow one team per member club in Div 1

Reply #90741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Norwood had two teams in U16 boys div 1 - and both were VERY competitive ie top and about 5th - then their own club went and voted out the second team. Wonder how many happy members were in the team that were "relegated".....

Reply #90743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say that the movement rate is 80 - 20.

80% of players leave a club to go to a club which is bigger to get better coaching.

While 20% of players leave bigger clubs to play Div 1 in smaller clubs.

The players moving from smaller clubs are usually their best players. With the players moving from the bigger clubs are not able to make it into Div 1 therefore being the second tier players.

Unfortunately, the smaller clubs believe that a div 1 position is the big carrot. When infact history tells us that it is better coaching that parents use as a deciding factor in where their kids play.

Reply #90752 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't worry so much about the division you play in, focus on improving your game. Some important aspects of the game - eg foul shooting, outside shooting and fitness can be improved without any opponent.

If you improve faster than the players ahead of you, at some stage you will get promoted.

Which coach will help you improve the quickest?

Are you practising with the div 1 players? Take on the strongest players in the squad until you can beat them 1 on 1.

Take responsibility for your own development. Change clubs if it is the best thing for you, but remember changing clubs won't instantly make you a better player.

Talk to the ABA players at your club - you might be surprised how many of them have been in your situation and used the frustration as motivation to get to the next level.

Reply #90756 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

#90752 I'd like to know where you get your 'facts' from

Reply #90767 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

lockstock, #90752 was giving an opinion.

About the only 'fact' is 100% of players that change clubs think the grass is greener on the other side ...

It's funny how often a player moving from club A to club B prompts another player to move from club B to club A to fill the vacancy.

Reply #90772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

loackstock,

If you re-read my post it starts with 'I would say'. NOt here are the facts!

And I would say, as somebody who has been greatly involved in the process for the last 10 years!

I think I have a fair more understanding than a South reserves player anyway!

Reply #90773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#90773) - you are a no-one. You don't even have the audacity to use a common name.

No wonder they couldn't wait to get rid of you in '04.

"Nine months too long" was what most people had to say about you.

Reply #90774 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

Going to a smaller club will not do anything to really develop your game in the long run,why not stay div 2 and work your ass of so eventually you will be a div 1 player and be playing in a strong club/team.

Reply #90776 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

The reasons for changing

A. Div 1 movement as the primary reason after u/14.
B. Coaching and development program prior to u/14.

Players don't look to change parents do.
Parents dont look if the quality of coaching is graet.

Reply #90777 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

HEY! Ex reserves player

Reply #90778 | Report this post

Mas  
Years ago

Lets be honest to improve you need to be at Sturt, Forestville or North, they have the greatest ratio of better coaches in all age groups.

you go to the other clubs to get opportunity and court time in higher divisions.

Now which clubs win most at state champs? the results speak for themselves.

Reply #90781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Doc Damage, i know full well that you are a coach and that certain players have left clubs because of YOU and not @ the request of the parents!

Reply #90783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #90774,

People who read the forum might know who I am without me needing a username, like yourself I might add. And no, frmom your post I am probably not who you think I am. I ahve a certain sytle that is fairly easily recognisable.

And you should have written "you have the audacity to not uise a common name" You have written a double negative which of course makes it a positive.

I thought 10 years experience would give me much more credibility then you? But if you know who I am let us know who you are!

Reply #90784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Damage,

Looking at your club, you have a number of players above U14's who have moved to your club from Div 1 at another club, and are playing div 2. Can't think of too many who have gone the other way?

Reply #90785 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

what club is Dr. Damage from?

Reply #90794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood

Reply #90795 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

ohh fair enough,well if a coach is to blame for kids leaving,they need to throw the coach out or change there position.A coach should not be a reason to leave a club,but a coach may be a reason to join a club

Reply #90796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Awnser/brad.

Just becasue somebody on this forum accuses Dr Damage of causing kids too leave does not mean that it is true. Could just be a disgruntled parent who cannot accept that when Dr Damage was coaching their little "johnny", that they weren't good enough for div 1. Or a player who thought they were better than div 2.

It would be like us all listening to your opinion and taking it for fact.

Just cause the sun is shinning, doesn't mean it's summer.

Reply #90801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not necessarily the "small" clubs who think that Div 1 is the be-all and end-all of basketball.

Its mostly the inexperienced and/or average clubs, parents and players who think that.

Parents will not look elsewhere if their kids are happy.

Reply #90803 | Report this post

Rabbit Stuffer  
Years ago

Politics has not been mentioned here as a contributing factor. Sometimes no matter how much effort a kid puts in to improve he is held back by parents influencing coaches,committee members influencing coaches and even coaches having biases against the parents of a child (coaches own insecurity involved here!) In these circumstances......move!
If some parents put as much time into coaching there own kids as they did sucking up to the coach, their child would be much better off in the long run.
I will say this however.....the cream will always rise to the top in the end, maybe just not with the clube they started with!

Reply #90805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rabbit Stuffer,

All coaches are biased. They are biased to the kids who worked the hardest, listen the best and cause the least trouble.

Reply #90806 | Report this post

Rabbit Stuffer  
Years ago

Yes, but being influenced by outside sources to play one kid over another shows weakness of character on the coaches behalf. At a young age it is so easy to manipulate the confidence of a player.

Reply #90810 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

never said that he was to blame,i said a coach should never be to blame! READ IT BEFORE AWNSERING

Reply #90811 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Very true.

I hope as we get better that happens less often.
I would like to think that is a minority of players these days.

Reply #90812 | Report this post

Solution  
Years ago

Some would suggest that the responses have answered your question extremely clearly.

Don't change clubs, change sports

Reply #90846 | Report this post

Interesting thoughts, Have read all the comments, we are looking at going from a smaller club to a bigger club for our child, wholly for the coaching aspect,she is a div 1 player, but will have to work hard at a new club to be div 1, which is the desired outcome of the move, work hard, play hard!!! or sit back on your laurels and probably get belted each week.

Reply #90879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would seek out to find out the coaches experience. What level did they play at? Where did they learn the game? What level of success have they had as a player and coach? What are their qualifications? What is their level of coaching experience and how long have they been doing it for?

Also find out about the Junior Development Officers they have in place.

A lot of people say that the bigger clubs have the best coaches. That is certainly not always the case. Do your research and ask questions. Often a change for the sake of change ends up in a worse or same situation.

Reply #90891 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

90891/90879
TOTALLY AGREE.

Only problem is clubs have not announced coaches for next season, so it is hit or miss.
Must have this info to make a good swap.

Reply #90898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not play div 1 at a smaller club. If you are that good why not go and play against the best.

Good opportunity to make the comp even across the board. and even when it comes to Nationals be a stronger more even team. Just a thought.....

Reply #90936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not play at a smaller club?

Because the level of coaching means that you will not improve.

Because you will not get the chance to go and play at the classics.

Because you will not get the chance to play in finals.

Because after losing most weeks by 30+ or more, your team mates will quit leaving your team worse then when you started.

Because you are only paying for the clubs ABA team and they don't put any resources back into the juniors.

Is that enough reasons.

Reply #90978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any player who is motivated will improve anywhere.
The classics....so what if you dont get to play there is their career over......NO
Never playing in finals......once again while this is desirable is your basketball career over....NO
And some one has to lose each game played, but each new game outcome is not known at the beginning, despite what some tell you. Until its finished anything is achievable.
ANY coach(good or bad)can coach talented players.
But not all coaches can coach the less talented kids.That takes very special skills and these people should be supported more by the basketball comunity instead of the arrogance that flows towards them.
In essence how many players from SA make a living from basketball.
Very limited, so for all those wonderful coaches out there at larger clubs who think they develop players, crap...you just manage talented kids and only if they happen to be on the same page as you.

Reply #90984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above, quite a humourous response. No their career isn't over if they don't play at Classics or finals. But neither is it over if they have to play some div 2 - and train every week against (at the time "maybe") better players.
Your apparent distress shown at the "arrogance" shown by the bigger clubs is also interesting. The coaches at the big clubs that only "manage" talented players and not develop them - how do these clubs come by these "talented" players? Do they walk in the door at U10 or U12 as ready-made players? No - these clubs develop them (in turn with a hell of a lot of work by the players).

And what does making a living from basketball have to do with anything in this topic? Nothing - but that's right, your not interested int talking about the subject, but rather just whining about the ease of big clubs to produce good players and the arrogance they display whilst doing it.....

Reply #90987 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

OK, im going to enter this one.

90978 said:
"Because the level of coaching means that you will not improve."

He/she is not correct. Happy to discuss this further.

Contact me if you want I'm not hard to find.

The problem with this statement is, having been around for a while, knowing most other coaches backgrounds, I know that is not always the case.

Someone above said:

What level did they play at? Where did they learn the game? What level of success have they had as a player and coach? What are their qualifications? What is their level of coaching experience and how long have they been doing it for?

If you look at these things and base it on facts you will find the above statement is not always correct.

I coach at Centrals for example, assuming I coach again, personally, Im looking forward to coaching kids next year that have been coached by Jye Watson, Ricky Simpson and Chris Clausen and looking forward to seeing my kids go up and play for Rowan Cordes (assuming he coaches on) who has played ABL for a number of years (including teams that made finals) and whose U20s team looks like making the finals this year.

Further I like working with Adam Todd who is the current Coaching Director. Adam played at North, Woodville and Centrals. He played under people like Richard Orlick and Steve Spencer. He has also had some coaching success at North and some sports related qualifications. Not a bad Coaching Director either.

Im sure everyone can come on here and rant and rave about how good they/their club are. I am not trying to do this. Only trying to demonstrate that the overall coaching overall does compare pretty well at our club at the moment.

Reply #90992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah, it's Janx, in to protect all things Centrals....:)

Actually Janx, I agree with you - to a certain degree. I think there are some excellent coaches at the "smaller" or less successfull clubs who do brilliant jobs with what they have. The problem as I see it, is they don't have the depth of coaching talent - the ability to provide quality coaches year in year out in all age groups. Some of the coaches you've named may be/have been excellent players - doesn't mean they are good coaches.

Finally, I do hope you coach again next year - you have a lot to offer Centrals and the boys program up there. I also wish Toddy the best of luck - a better Centrals can only make the overall competition stronger.

As for you debating with 90978 further, (if it's who I think it is) you two have had many sessions already on this forum - let's just say you'll agree to disagree!! :)

Reply #90995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any player who is motivated will improve anywhere.

But what about RATE of improvement. Which environment will enable the player to improve faster and increase his chance at playing higher level basketball?

The classics....so what if you dont get to play there is their career over......NO
Never playing in finals......once again while this is desirable is your basketball career over....NO

No it's not over - but by missing Classics you miss the chance to compete against (often) the best players for your age in the country. To see where you are at at an elite level. If it inspires a player to work harder to thrive in that environment they can only get better. It's hard to see how the best players are if you don't go there though... finals - ditto. You get another oppurtunity to play against the best teams.

each new game outcome is not known at the beginning, despite what some tell you

Laughable. With the current competition structured as it is - this is not true. Which is unfortunate for both the top end and bottom end players.

Reply #90997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Janx,

Agreed that on paper those people have a good level of basketball knowledge.

But what you are saying does not make sence. Are you saying that every person that played under Orlick and Spencer would be a good coaching director? If so, why doesn't every club just find those people who did and give them a job.

Same for all coaches. Which of the coaches on your coaching staff was Scott Butler a better players than. I would say none. Right now he may be the best coach in the country in junior basketbll. So are you saying that becasue these guys can play that they are good junior coaches? Poeple are good coaches becasue they are good coaches! Again, to me, your argument of them being good players makes no sence.

Finally look at the results.

10 Boys - No team at all. And you want to be taken seriously.
12 Boys - last in div 2. Who is coaching that team, they must be doing a good job. (insert sarcasm here)
14 Boys - 2nd last, still not very good
16 Boys - 2nd last, ditto
18 Boys - 3rd last, your team is the best of the group.
20 Boys - Once Clausen (a North junior) leaves, they would probably miss out on finals. Currently they are doing well in a comp were not too many clubs care. Except for State Champs.

So for all that coaching nous, please explain the results. Adn before you give the other clubs have more, please consider.

1/ All clubs start each year with U/10's, not having any players.

2/ All clubs have the same number of kids near their stadium.

3/ Parents new to the sport dont actually know which clubs are bigger or better before they start playing.

It all comes down to resource allocation. Your clubs puts all it's time and effort into winning seniors.

Reply #90998 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

Agree on butler been one of the best coaches. Im not saying that better players automatically make better coaches. Collective experience and success what does.

My point is the coaches at our club compares pretty well, based on -

What level did they play at? Where did they learn the game? What level of success have they had as a player and coach? What are their qualifications? What is their level of coaching experience and how long have they been doing it for?

got no arguments with anything else you are saying.

None of the names I mentioned could compare to butler, he would be at a higher level. However, my point is some of the smaller clubs have coaches that compare very, very well to some of the larger clubs.

Reply #91005 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Another point that hasn't been mentioned is how a player fits in with the squad. It is hard for a player to force their way into a div 1 side as a guard if they are playing as a forward in a lower division.

It may be easier to get a guard spot in div 1 someone else & try the beat the guys they were trying to replace in the first place.

There are plenty of players around that have climbed up a div or two by club swapping, even if they finish back where they started.

Reply #91008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

janx,

Then how do yuo explain the lack of success, both as a team as well as that of developing players. Again Clausen learned most of his skills at north. Then grew into a player while at Centrals.

I would say level of playing has a minimal impact on coaching ability.

Results say that they are not good coaches. For the last couple of years, you have been touting the virtues of the coaching at your club. When are these good coaches going produce some results?

You could have played and learned the game from the best as an assistant coach or player. But that does not mean that you can coach yourself.

Reply #91012 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

91012, its a mystery to me why someone in your position consistently attempts to come on here and publicly shoot down a club(s) when a number of of your arguments are based on a lack on knowledge about what our club is putting in place and where we are headed.

I would suggest you focus on things you do know about. EG: how to improve the overall competition, how to develop our state players or your own players/coaches. You seem to beleive that doing these things involves knocking club(s) without really understanding it and where it is going. Until then, unfortunately, despite time constraints, im forced to defend our club.

Results: These things take time. EG my current team was in Div 2, 2 years ago so I would argue that they have shown improvement. The Under 12 Div 2 Coach you mention is Matthew Atkins (ABL all star player, played for a number of years at ABL level and works in the sporting industry and is qualified in that area). Correct, that does not make him a great coach (you could not compare him to Butler) but its a good starting point for an u12 div 2 coach when you compare to other clubs coaches in the same position and that was my point - We compare well!

Chris C did come to the club as an U16 2nd year and going along with your arguments (and I dont agree with them) does that mean Centrals developed Brendan Mann, Ben Todd, Lachlan (???) and a number of other players that started at our club and our currently playing ABL/Div 1 juniors elsewhere - it doesnt. Maybe you should ask Chris the impact Centrals had on him getting to where he is now. I would also note he has only played about 3 or 4 games in 20s (I asked his coach) this season.

Our club, like others, can improve in a number of areas and I find it interesting reading what you have to say when your points are made correctly. This forum is a great place to debate them but I disagree with "Because the level of coaching means that you will not improve." If you want to disagree with me why would someone in your position choose to publicly make this point or debate it?? It achieves NOTHING and does more harm than good. Perhaps you see our club (and others) as trying to erode the level of competition - which again is not based on facts - take the time to contact the club and ask them about their views on aspects that you beleive need to change in the competition.

Happy to continue debating this but time is limited and I would prefer we just leave it there and agree to disagree on the statement made earlier. Perhaps I could go on the offensive about your club, but thats just not going to happen!

Reply #91155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

janx,

Again, what time frame are you talking. You have been ringing the same bell for the last couple of years. When will the "things we are putting into place" bear fruit. My opinion is that before any good comes of it, the club will choose to try and buy another ABA championhip and put the club back into debt. WIll lose any player with ability to another club because they "want better coaching" and will continue to put teams into div 1 that would not be able to win the div 2 comp, thus draggifn down the level of competition in this state. Becasue this is exactly what has happened for the last 25 years that I have been involved in SA Basketball. Promise after promise have lead the club back to exactly where you are now, making promises.

And yes, I do get annoyed at clubs like yours that continually erode the competition. That your club is unwilling to play in a competitive enviroment is everything that is wrong with basketball in this state. It is why we have slipped on a National standing as a state. And it is why we struggle to produce elite level players.

And your club has been spoken too regarding competition change. They were totally unable to understand that it is their lack of direction that leads country playerse to "drive straight past our doors". And that having teams in grades where they are gettign thumped makes players leave for other clubs.

Finally, producing a good U/12 team takes 2 or 3 years only! Do you think other clubs have ready produced U/10's or U/12's?

How about this, if in 3 years you have not produced a top 4 team in either the boys of the girls U/10's or U/12. You accept that things are not changing and agree to promotion/relegation!

Reply #91240 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

moving from "Because the level of coaching means that you will not improve." back to the promotion/relegation argument.

For what its worth, I have agreed with the concept.

Reply #91409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are not mutaully exclusive idea's. The reason these teams are not impoving is a culture of participation rather than excellence. Why is it 1 club has been consistantly dominant over the past 5 years? Why has the "cyclical nature" not effected one club?

In my opinon it is because they imbrase competition rather than hide behind a guarenteed div 1 position.

Again, in your opinion, how long before the results of these coaches will be seen? What time frame are you looking at? How many of these coaches have any results at juniors level for you to qualify them as good coaches? Do you disagree that it takes only 2 years to produce a top U/12 team?

Becasue in my opinon, they are not good coaches. Becasue they do not get results. They have not produced players or won anything. You continually come back to the level somebody played at as a qualifiaction of their coaching ability. I would say out of 100, the level of playing counts for about 5. And considering the level of basketball that Richard Orlich and Steve Spencer played at your argument does not stand up. Neither were high level players. But great coaches. Get good coaches not good player to coach.

Reply #91411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#91411). You are a clown.

What is the length of a cycle?
How long is a piece of string?

if you're way is sooooo good, why isn't everyone doing it? exactly, all clubs took a vote, and it didn't get through, stop having a whinge about it, and do something about it!

Reply #91414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone isn't doing it because they believe that by guarentee themselves a spot in div 1, and resticting other clubs div 1 position, the better div 2 players from a strong club will move to a weaker club. When in fact, the last 10 years has shown the exact opposite has happened.

Other clubs also think that it is easier to spend money on their senior program and win. Than it is to put in place a junior program that is succesful, becasue it takes more work and resources.

So my argument is that some people are like your good self, and do not have the required information and understanding, nor a care for the long term of basketball when making decisions.

Reply #91417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what you are saying is that all the other Club presidents, except your own, don't care about basketball, have information about basketball or have long-term vision.

What a bold statement!

Reply #91419 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Am I the only person that does not want a div 1 with ten teams from the same club?

I'm sure the standard would be fantastic, but there has to be limited interest in whether Sturt 9 can overcome Sturt 8? The idea of having different clubs is to get a bit of the tribal thing going & have some (loose) connection to a particular district.

Can we get behind the clubs that are struggling a bit instead of bagging everything they do?

Reply #91420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only person that does not want a div 1 with ten teams from the same club?

An excellent point Anon - and thus to ensure it doesn't happen the onus would be on YOUR club to ensure that they improve their junior development to compete with and beat said Sturt teams. Instead of be happy with the status quo. The big winner would be those clubs willing to put in the work to develop juniors - with all of SA basketball being rewarded, not just Sturt (or North who also voted for it).

Reply #91425 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#91425: We're working on it. I'm not with janx's mob either - though I wish him every success with his efforts.

Reply #91427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

Are you conceeding that Sturt has the ability to develop 8 teams in any age group better than evrey other club in the State?

And #91420, Yes. How many club presidents have long term, elite level basketball experience? And how many would be there if their kids didn't play for that club? And how many clubs would vote for something that they think would be good for basketball but make their club need to work harder at devloping juniors?

Reply #91431 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#91431, I'm saying that ten teams from the same club would be boring and would mean the end of district basketball in this state.

You seem to miss the point. A club can only be the "best" if there is someone else worthy of competing with.

Fortunately Sturt's senior players understand this and are very generous with their time coaching at other clubs.

Reply #91435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#91425: We're working on it.

Good to hear. But would you be working even harder if you had to EARN that div 1 spot? And if you really are working on it, why would you be afraid to have to compete with teams (not clubs) being graded based on merit of performance? Tho, if as you say one club dominates, perhaps you are not working as hard/smart as you think you are.

I'm not with janx's mob either - though I wish him every success with his efforts.

Agreed.

Reply #91436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

So you do think that Sturt would be capable of producing 8 teams better than all the other clubs?

If this was the ultimate result under pro/rel, why hasn't it happened in Victoria or NSW. How did Dandenong go from a fledgling club to one of the biggest in Auistralia.

But I guess that Sturt guage their performance in a different way than you do. We measure succes at the Classics and Nationals. ie How do we compare against the rest of Australia.

PS Our club has constantly offered to assist other clubs with coaching. In fact we had a Southern representative out to midweek trainings and they may adopt some of our principles in improving their club. The probelm is that when we offer this we often get accused by people like yourslef of throwing it in people's faces and they turn the offer down.

Reply #91438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yawn.

Reply #91439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm sure a 10 court stadium had a little to do with Dandy's success...

Reply #91459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I beleive they are already trying to implament these policys at Southern.

Reply #91475 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

91420 has a good point re: regions and people representing the place they live.

By the same reasoning a central or city based club has a great advantage over a club in a Southern or Centals type geographical location.(As the Bearcats did at Bowden)

Add location to good coaching and you have a formula for success. Sturt/Forr will continue to produce good players while they mantain great coaches and good facilities.
The model needed for those clubs must include a way of overcoming this advantage. Keeping players within the region and having SASI and State coaches will be a big lift.
This takes many years and in the meantime clubs have to be patient. As pointed out many times, Sturt planned for the success the have today, please dont bag them for being strategic.

I would be happy to play 2 or 3 teams in Div1 from the same club, I dont want 30 pt wins!!!

Reply #91488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenog starter with a 3 court stadium. Through effort they added the another 3. It only turned into a 10 court stadium about 10 years ago. Well and truly after they had become a powerhouse in Victorian basketball. The increase in stadium size was a response to their efforts in developing the asport. Not the ther way around.

Reply #91527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AND A GOVERNMENT THAT WAS SPENDING ON INFRASTRUCTURE OVER THAT TIME.

SA (RANN GOV) WILL NOT SPEND ON GRASS ROOTS SPORT.
HEALTH AND EDUCATION/HEALTH AND EDUCATION/HEALTH AND EDUCATION/HEALTH AND EDUCATION/HEALTH AND EDUCATION/HEALTH AND EDUCATION.

SPIN AND MORE SPIN.
I WILL SAY NOW , I CANT SEE A NEW STADIUM IN ADELAIDE BEFORE 2020.
CANT EVEN GET THE STORM WATER PROBLEM FIXED IN THIS STATE.

Reply #91552 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't be so pessimistic - we may not get another dedicated stadium, but schools are still building courts. Mildura has a huge shared use facility on school grounds which is an excellent model that could be copied here.

St Peters have upped the ante on the standard of private school courts. The other large private schools will look to upgrading their facilities to be competitive.

Despite the problems at Pasadena, school based facilities shared with a district club give huge benefits to both parties. Wayville is a different type of shared use & has been a great success.

BTW, there is a key marked "Caps Lock" on the left hand side of your keyboard. Please press it once.

Reply #91563 | Report this post

KF  
Years ago

Shared facilities are the way to go, but dont hold your breath anon!
All your examples are privately funded. We need community facilities that are school in the day and club / private at night , to maximise use.
Westminster was looking at integrating but went on their own so that they could control the people on the facility. ie the use of clubrooms and alcohol.
Wont happen under this government or the current fed gov.
see you in 2020, bet I am right!!

Reply #91587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754