Sap
Years ago

Flames to College

Sam Grantham and Max Papendieck left today to take up US College Scholarships at Carroll College and Lewis & Clark respectively. Just wanted to wish them good luck on the next chapter in their lives and congratulate them on the commitment they have shown to get themselves there in the first place.
Both have the athletic potential to play NBL, but it will depend on their journey over the next few years.

There are a few South Australians over there, or going over there, and I definitely believe it is the right route for young players. At the end of four years, your have a college degree at worst. There are dozens of colleges interested in SA players, it's a legit option for our elite.

It forms part of the Norwood Flames' long-term plan for its elite junior players, and we actively engage the recruitment process.

Anyway, good luck Sam and Max. Fly the flag.

Topic #8171 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on them definately the right move for young Aussies, more should do it

Reply #91200 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

BA is not happy with so many players being enticed overseas, they did a song and dance at the last U18 champs about scouts filming games...why?

Reply #91202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These schools are NCAA Div 3 arent they?

Do Div 3 Schools give out full scholarships or do these guy's parents have to pay for them?

It may not be such an option for most families if its a matter of covering all costs.

Reply #91205 | Report this post

4thspazzy  
Years ago

I think it is great that these players are going over seas to play college ball, BA is a joke and should not be taken seriously by anyone in the basketball community. The more experience these players get whether its here in the ABL or in the US in college ball is great for the future of our national team. That is if the coach will actualy play them and not his own kings...hehe...couldnt reist that one... I will only start to take BA seriously when they appoint a new national mens coach....now thats a whole new topic!

Reply #91206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To (#91205)
AFAIK these Colleges are NAIA Div2 and both Max and Sam applied for and received scholarships. Maybe get on Google and search and look, as that would save postulations on "finances" that may put others off from seriously looking at going to USA before they get the facts. Email some colleges and ask them. There's a lot to consider.
------------------------

BA has few AIS scholarships for the serious players applying (I heard 6?? SA State reps were declined last year alone), there are limited local opportunities after SASI/ITC, so i reckon finish Yr12, do your college research homework now and go to College asap u can, especially if you want to play ball and get, hopefully, a free tertiary qualification. More aussies in USA the better for them and our sport. Then come back and light it up here or europe or usa.

Best wishes to Sam and Max.

Great on Sap for helping them!!

Reply #91207 | Report this post

BLOCKHEAD  
Years ago

Lets remember its more than just a basketball odessy for these boys. Its also an opportunity to live abroad for four years, experience a different culture, and with any luck never have to experience the joy of HECS!!!!!

Sam and Max are two stand up characters so expect them to carry on a proud and long tradition of Norwood players doing well in the states.

Well done!

Reply #91210 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Part of the problem with College is you only hear the good stories generally.

Kid who played for Albury called Shane McDonald had one year there, basically hated it from what I understand, and his game went backward as a result. College did little good for Wade Helliwell compared to if he had stayed here and honed his game.

Its just not all gold and glory. And its a worry in particular for our girls. Very few of our girls have gone to College and come home "four years better" in terms of their development - Hibbert is one who did but very few others.

That is because the conferences in women have such sporadic quality teams. the depth in women's college basketball is really questionable.

And College is really affecting our competitions here - the SEABL teams are no where as deep as they used to be partly because of so many kids not being able to play when they come back on break.

Reply #91217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

going to america for a div 2 college..forget that.. especially it being ncia.. that league is not worth it if they are serious about there ball.. if they think the basketball is going to be awesome think again.

Reply #91219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these guys are both great athletes. they will get picked up by a better program or worse case they get a free education.

naia is between u20s/Div 2 Men from a playing perspective.

Reply #91220 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think that's the point - a free education. Being realistic, only a select few will make a career out of ball anyway, and fringe NBL does not amount to a career. better off pursuing a 9-5, like Jason Dix.

It's probably not a basketball decision as much as a life choice. I for one would not hesitate to go to college in another country - for free - live away from home for 4 years, make lifelong friends, etc etc and as a bonus travel around and play ball on weekends.

Reply #91241 | Report this post

Sap  
Years ago

NAIA between 20s & div 2???
NAIA is the equivalent of NCAA div2 - Worthington, Kendall etc.
Sam's College - Carroll - finished fourth in the nation. They would smash any ABA team here. Austyn Smylie played Div2 NCAA, Jason Smith Div 3. How would they go in under 20s or Div2 here - ya wally!

Point taken there are bad examples, these programs are not. You gotta do your homework.

Reply #91261 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Spot on Sap...those who can't/don't will always find fauilt with those who do/can..

Reply #91274 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

dont you also have to do better in your SATs or watever it is to get a scholorship in div 2 or 3 schools? compared to div 1 schools

Reply #91290 | Report this post

Sap  
Years ago

Reply #91294 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Ricey...No

Reply #91295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sappa, your helping young people reach their basketball dreams. The ABLis always there. The kids can play until they are thirty or like you further. If the college thing does not work out, it is simple....they can come back. At least they have tried and this could be the high point of their basketball lives. It is good to see you are doing this, while your ABL team would be stronger the next few years having them there for the full season.

Reply #91296 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

91296 spot on good on you Sap for putting these kids ahead of your plans for Norwood.
And good luck to Sam and Max, I for one am very envious of the position you have found yourselves in. Enjoy yourselves

Reply #91307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sap,

You don't seem to remeber that Arizona University only just beat an ABA team here.

If they were going to a team that would smash ABA teams, they won't get to play.

Reply #91309 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

So thats a team of 18-22 yr olds just beat an ABA team of "what", it may have also contained imports and NBL players.

I would also think that the touring team would not have had its finishing seniors and would have given as much time as possible to Freshmen and Sophmores.

The top NAIA teams are equally as tough as the top NCAA teams.

Reply #91316 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Reply #91319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trex,

That team had Channing Frye, Salim Stoudamire and a guy who did a massive dunk on Oscar. If you had of attended the game you might have seen with your own eye's how wrong your statement is. And no Sturt did not have any imports other than Brett Maher, who shoot poorly.

Ben Hunt played SEABL for Ballarat and was a good player in that league before spending a couple of years in NAIA. It is yet to see if he will stick in the NBL.

But don't let the fact s get in the way of trying to pump up a good story.

Reply #91321 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anon 91321 you also forgot Luke Walton, that makes 3 that went on to NBA.

Reply #91326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good story...na...BUT...I'm not going to shit can people who are going out of their way to better themselves, nor will I depreciate what the outcome may be...

Hunt has done a lot more than most, he at least got a gig from the NAIA to show what he had at a level most just dream about...

Individuals using the US college system, at any level, to get a paid for education and life experince is something they should be congratulated for. Maybe they are being realistic with thier "talent" and are making the most of what they have to get somewhere in life.

Reply #91328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sap, does alot for us younger blokes and we thank his for his efforts. the flames will be a very strong team in future years if he keeps giving them the opps

Reply #91348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are both at NAIA div 1.
In previous years both of their colleges have played agianst teams like gonzaga and utah. So I'm pretty sure they are going to be playing at a fairly high standard.

Reply #91421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if what u say is true about NAIA being the same as Div 2 then why is it that only a privlidged few get the opportunity to go over there? these 2 guys have got the talent to do well over there and i wish both the best of luck, and cant wait to p;ay wit them wen they get back

Reply #91422 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

you also forget that arizona had Gardner, possibly the best guard that year in NCAA, as featured in SLAM. they had 5 players who could easily have then been dominate players in NBL. and the guy who dunked on oscar was Bynum, also NBA. that team went onto final four.
back to the main subject, NAIA is still awesome talent there, if i recall Pistol Pete's kid played in it, and was still an awesome player. its not where you are, its what you put in to it, if the boys work hard like they have been, im sure we will be seeing them continue into professional basketball somewhere.

Reply #91462 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

http://www.carroll.edu/athletics/newsitemview.php?id=4727
thats link to lil write up bout sam they did.
http://www.lcsc.edu/athletics/pressreleases/06-07/Mens_bball_signs_four.htm
and another for max. looks like they are getting a bit of hype aswell, good to hear.

Reply #91469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they had bynum, frye, luke walton and salim stoudamire and beat sturt (including brett maher ((who shot terribly))) by just 11 points.

Reply #91609 | Report this post

Spike  
Years ago

Scottie Pippen played in the NAIA... He seemed to be of alrite standard??

Reply #118860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754