The Journo
Years ago

Why have NBL/Imports?

The question I pose is in reaction to this mornings Advertiser where Boti reported that Forman and Smylie will "pay there own way" back to Adelaide to contest in a Preliminary and or Grand Final for Sturt.

What is the point having imports or NBL players for a majority of the season, only to lose their services when it comes finals time.

For a Central ABL team, either men or women, the liklihood of having an import or NBL player available for the entire season is bordering on ridiculous.

What does it prove? Making the finals then playing a team that on paper, wouldn't have qualified if it was the main team all season.

Some classic examples of this are:

Mark Nash (West) 2003, played 12 games but was deemed "unavailable" for finals series to prepare for NBL season, after having qualified and prepared to play finals.

Jacob Holmes (Eastern) 2006, played in a couple of games, not enough to qualify, knwoing he was going to be unavailable for finals. But still played and got the Mavericks over the line in a couple of games to push them into the top five.

It seems that the best recruit for a ABL club would be:

1.) 36er or Lightning player
2.) An import in the twlight of his or her career
3.) Someone who is close to a number of players already involved with the club

Maybe if the Buffalos concept comes back into the mould, it will stop all this?

Topic #8212 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

What is the point having imports or NBL players for a majority of the season, only to lose their services when it comes finals time.
Teams in the finals have a chance to win it all. Teams not in the finals don't.

And as you've pointed out, Forman and Smylie will be returning from NZ and the US respectively to provide their services for the crucial games. Smylie will have missed one game, and Forman two.

Past imports for Woodville have played in the finals IIRC and I don't know that you can call Forman and Holmes imports given that their junior history has been with Sturt and Sturt/Eastern). As for Smylie, he has family in Adelaide and was exploring NBL options - who's going to turn him down when he wants to play? He'll miss a non-elimination game and then be back.

Reply #91669 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Forman, I think is an exception cause he is a Sturt junior.

My point is why go into the finals with a "weaken" team that will most probably get knocked out early?

Reply #91672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Better to be in the finals than not at all?

What's not to say that Dix doesn't get injured in a freak money-counting injury, and suddenly the Mavs without Holmes and Madgen could have a chance.

Reply #91675 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Better teams losing players than suddenly have players appearing just before Finals, having not played all season. I know that at ABL level, players eligibility is closely monitored, but in the outstanding comp that is Div 3 Men, these things tend to go by unnoticed.

Players who start in Reserves regulary play, with Torrens Valley being the main culprit. I noticed Forestville have gained a few big men late in the season, although they may have qualified and I just not seen the games they played in.

I know nobody cares but those that play in the league, but it's on point. Team stacking can occur at any point in the season, but better before Finals than during!

Reply #91679 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Have a whinge! Ur always going to put ur best team forward. And when u get to finals anything can happen.
And having those players in the team, even in small bursts, makes the players around them better and gives them an opportunity to learn more.
Besides its often not the best team 'on paper', but the best team that wins anyway.

Reply #91685 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

Love ya work Doc !!

Reply #91690 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah, Dix may have a money counting injury.....

Doc, I just pulled my wallet out of my back pocket and the sheer weight of it snapped my wrist.......

Reply #91762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is the same as always.

Yeah it is great to have these playes. But what is the cost to the club. These players expect to get paid, even though they are playing in a team which drains money from the club.

Look at the clubs who are in serious financial trouble, and look at their senior budget.

Reply #91773 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

Having such a player does generate interest for a club which can only be a good thing. More people through the door viewing senior teams. I see it as a positive as long as the club isnt going into debt to make it happen

Reply #91779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754