AK-47
Years ago

Brian Goorigian

Why is Cat not in the Australian line up? Ill tell ya why. Brian Goorijian. How can He still be coaching when he takes us to ninth in athens and a loss against New Zealand. Phil Smyth takes the youngest Australian team to New Zealand and loses and gets kicked out of the coaching staff. Now there is no Cat or maher and yet we have Anstey, Bogut and Schenscher and yet we still can't beat New Zealand.

Topic #8215 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, Cat retired mate!

Reply #91764 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

ok thanks but why does goorigian still have the coaching position

Reply #91765 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

We don't have Schensher.

Reply #91766 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

It just seems that he is viewed as the best. I mean the league has given him so many coaching awards etc. I dont think Basketball Australia has any faith in any of the other coaches around and therefore seems to keep the job no matter what and believe the rubish he spins. It will be interesting to see how they handle the situation after the championships if we do not do well.

Reply #91767 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

If your going to bag someone, at least take the time to spell their name correctly.

Reply #91770 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Unfortunately, I don't think we will win a game. CJ won't make that much of a difference, and I think Anstey is out.

I don't like Goorjian, but he has been up front from the start that this team was geared toward the 2008 Olympics rather than these Worlds. BA employed him based on this plan, it's more a BA problem thatn BG problem.

Interesting article on NBA.com (sorry, no link) about the Argentinian team in 1999 that had a very young roster, including Ginobili and a couple of other now NBA players. Basically said they were 'blooded' in those Worlds, just missed out on an Olympics spot for Sydney but went on to win in 02 and 04. Perhaps comparisons can be drawn to the Boomers?

Reply #91771 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Close doctor. Argies were runner up in 02 to Serbia & Montenegro. Still that doesn't really change the point you made. They blooded young guys in 1999 and have since reaped rewards.

I am happy to agree with that scenario, just so long as we can keep this squad together until 2008 and send most/all of them to all the tournaments we play in between. (That will probably be one series against NZ each year!!)

If we're going with these guys now, we need to use them as much as possible. I guess we also need to add Andersen, Anstey, Neilsen, Schenser, Black and Saville into consideration too given they are only missing the Worlds due to injury or other reasons (like insurance!)

Reply #91782 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

This topic again? *sigh*

Reply #91783 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

maybe BA needs to do what the FFA did and Hire a World Renowned Coach to lift the Profile of not only the sport here but get our name out and about OS as well,

money well spent by the FFA,

maybe BA should look to spend money to create it

Reply #91801 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

Only trouble Thomo is that BA currently can not afford to pay Neilson's insurance so he can play.

Where are they likely to get money to appoint a high powered coach?

Guus was affordable because of the coverage of soccer. they televised the qualifies, when have you last seen basketball apart from the Commonwealth games on FTA?

The world cup was huge and had many staying up and watching it in their own homes, in cafe's, sporting clubs etc I can not ever see basketball world cup ever attracting that type of coverage in australia.

Reply #91807 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Guus was affordable for 3 reasons:-

1. He is independently wealthy in his own right (well depending on the outcome of his just started tax case), and thrives on challenges on behalf of the underdog, and

2) His contract was in fact incentive driven. Basic wage very ordinary by international standards, but because he had a huge back end incentive if he got us there, it was very appealing.

The FFA rightly could afford it not because they had the money, but because they got it if we qualified.

3. And finally because it was a part time gig for him based around his "day job", and so he could fit it in.

Not sure how any of that fits with BA trying to do the same thing?

Reply #91843 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754