Jonno
Years ago

Anfernee Hardaway

Tonight on talking hoops, when talking to Scott Ninnis about the dragons sencond import spot, Hardaways name got mentioned, im not sure how seriously it was or if he is a real posibility, but what do people think of getting old mid to late 30's ex nba stars like penny out here??? I think aslong as they come with the right attitude to play hard and contribute to the team, i reckon it would be awesome for the league, as the nbl has far less games than the nba so his body would handle it easier, and if he played hard being a 6'7 sg, who could prob play the 1,2,3,4 spots at times in the nbl he would hav mvp potential. What do people think of having guys like penny come out to Australia,i reckon it would be awesome!! it prob wont happen from what ninnis was saying, but yea a guy like price may have played with some of these guysm,did he play with penny?? so who knows who he could get here.
For those interested i do intend on doing a recap of the talking hoops show again, hopefully ill hav it finished tonight!!

Topic #8264 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Kemp part II

But if the Dragons can pull it off it would be fantastic and the number 1 away draw card for the NBL.

Reply #92284 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Penny Hardaway was bloody awesome in his prime, if only he got along with Shaq more!

I'd love to see him in the NBL even if he is in his 30s, he is exciting to watch and hopefully still has hops!

Reply #92285 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

A 10% fit Penny would benefit any club IMHO

Reply #92294 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

What a load of horse shit MW !
"A 10% fit Penny would benefit any club IMHO "

The guy has been plagued by injury the last 5 yrs or so at least . Let him go. To say that he could compete and be an asset to an NBL club at 10 % is laughable.

Remember him as a great player, but dont insult the Australian legues professionals by saying a chronically injured former star could get it done over here.
p.s he was never known as a great locker room presence either - so i wouldnt contend that he could provide leadership either.

Reply #92295 | Report this post

Kobe8  
Years ago

Skyhook, get your hand off it, clearly MW is excited and may be over exagerating just abit. But for good reason. We need these names in the league, damn i'm excited about the prospect. If it was to start a trend , the league could grow younger and more colourful as it would get attention ironically from older veterans.

Reply #92296 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

I didn't know he was still around (shows how much i currently follow the show). I thought his injury ended him. But had a look (on nba.com), all his career highs seem to be 97 or before and he only played 4 games last season. Is he injured again? Or is he just finishing up in the NBA? (or just plain finished?)

Reply #92297 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Skyhook get a life dude

Reply #92302 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Kobe8 , thanks for clearing that all up for me ?? Clearly MW is " over exagerating " .Right :~ I stand by my assessment of Penny Hardaway, thanks ITA.

Kobe8 & MW
Im sure you will find that at some level within the Dragons organization that Ninnis has been told to create some news or hype. Thus he has mentioned NBA players coming to the NBL, in particular the Dragons. C'mon guys please look a little deeper. Its a marketing ploy..

Reply #92314 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ex NBA plyers are always rumoured to come out here. Remember the Tom Chambers rumour? Isn't Sedale Threatt out here, playing in Victoria in their ABA?

Reply #92321 | Report this post

Years ago

Hardaway was part of the deal that got Jalen Rose to New York. He was essentially just traded for his contract. He's supposedly fully fit now though. It'd be great if he came in with the right attitude and not acting like he was entitled to something. It's questionable whether he'd do that however.

Reply #92336 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

here's a good mix, i can just see the Dragons adding to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvgVn0gg1E

Reply #92340 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

the video is like an orbituary to a once great player!

Reply #92344 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

3, I'd say that his attitude is not as questionable as his left knee. I would love to be "fully fit" after five surgeries on the left knee, and a tear to the medial fibres of my right plantar fascia. And that was with a quick google search... Has he got any other worries?

So by fully fit you mean he can push his wheelchair all by himself?

Reply #92367 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Hardaway skill wise would be able to be one of the best, if not the best players in the NBL if he was to come out. if he is able to stay healthy and not break a leg or whatever, surely he would be contender for MVP for any team.
and as for the kemp post, isnt he back in prime shape? apparently hes doing a rodman and shopping himself around.

Reply #92392 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Kemp was recently busted for posession of weed again i thought. he trialled with denver a couple of months ago and they no longer have an interest in him.

Reply #92399 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

penny would be great to have, he would be a great face to push the league and would be a great show thing for the mass media who dont follow ball kinda like dwight yorke. As for his ability, i'm sure he could still carve most teams a new one in the NBL.

Reply #92409 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I think people understate the talent already in the NBL. Anfernee hardaway, if he came back into playing pro in Aus while he wouyld have the know how to get it done, he may not be that much quicker then Robert Rose or at best Darnell Mee.... still a good player, probably NBL 2nd or 3rd team honors but hardly cutting a new one for 25 a game! He would be a good name to bring in some of the Basketball fans of the 90's, he was very popular.... but i think he would be an adequate NBL player or Bench..... the leagues good and he hasnt played for quite a while!

Reply #92418 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Skyhook has some truth on this one. Think about it, a brand spanking new franchise is entering the market, they have employed a solid Australian core, they have a star name as a coach, but what they lacked is that marquee marketable name, enter Penny Hardaway.

Regardless of where he is at healthwise after his numerous knee operatios (same op that killed Allan Houstons career, and the same op that Amare and McCants have just gone through) his name will put arses on seats.

Arses on seats equals a bigger cash cow, and seriously, (this is where Skyhook and I differ) if Penny is 1/2 the player he was in the NBA he'd do just fine in the NBL. He may have lost the athleticism he once had and be a step of two slower, but he'd still school a fair amount of NBL players any day of the week.

Penny Hardaway would be great of the Dragons along with the NBL as a whole, and no doubt Penny's experience would only assist the development of the younger players.

Reply #92443 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Skyhook has some truth on this one. Think about it, a brand spanking new franchise is entering the market, they have employed a solid Australian core, they have a star name as a coach, but what they lacked is that marquee marketable name, enter Penny Hardaway.

Regardless of where he is at healthwise after his numerous knee operatios (same op that killed Allan Houstons career, and the same op that Amare and McCants have just gone through) his name will put arses on seats.

Arses on seats equals a bigger cash cow, and seriously, (this is where Skyhook and I differ) if Penny is 1/2 the player he was in the NBA he'd do just fine in the NBL. He may have lost the athleticism he once had and be a step of two slower, but he'd still school a fair amount of NBL players any day of the week.

Penny Hardaway would be great of the Dragons along with the NBL as a whole, and no doubt Penny's experience would only assist the development of the younger players.

Reply #92444 | Report this post

Years ago

ITA, I know he'd probably be a shadow of his former self. What I meant by "fully fit" is that from what I've read he's pretty much without injury at the moment.

Reply #92536 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754