Anonymous
Years ago

'Yes' to Etsa Park!

I Say Hell YEAHHHH to ETsa Park..
Reasons:

1. The girls don't get near stepped on as they try and stretch at the end of the court before the game as people walk to their seats.

2. They will have a use of a changeroom that doesn't leave players sitting on the floor for some space

3. When it is 4,000 degrees outside They will be actually TREATED like Elite athletes and play in a SAFE and Airconditioned venue which is NOT dangerous for them anymore.

4. Sponsor won't be shoved in the front row behind the score bench where their so called "special seats" are. They will have the boxes up the top of Etsa which have Tvs, catering facilities etc. Things that they should get in the first place for there generosity.

5. Canteen facilities and seating area (not that the DECK CHAIRS weren't doing the job at Wayvilee) but it would be nicer to have better seating area for coffee and snacks etc.

At the end of the day it is about The Lightning Girls! Playing at Etsa Park under those lights with better facilities will be both great for the players and the public!

Fingers Crossed they end up at Etsa.

RUMOUR..... I heard that there will be HUGE TROUBLE from Sports Health Department if they schedule games in extreme heat conditions. They are just waiting in the wings to slap a BIG BIG BIG Fine if they do! I say good on em!

Topic #8280 | Report this topic

fess mate  
Years ago

The worst thing they could do is give any money to a place like ETSA park. That stadium is for netball and they don't care about basketball.

Basketball should be played at the Dome. Eddie has put money into the sport and we should show some loality to him as well.

Bring the girls back home.

Reply #92475 | Report this post

missing meerkat  
Years ago

why not air cond wayville

if air cond is an issue - which it is - health and safety for athletes

one answer

back to dome ! full stop

Reply #92480 | Report this post

missing meerkat  
Years ago

netball would like to dominate b'ball - they would probably try to recuit kids to play for their clubs

Reply #92481 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Whilst I would love to see ther girls back at the Dome, the fact is playing in that venue creates no atmosphere.

Wayville is a great venue, but does lack potential for much more growth, and as pointed out, there are OHS&W issues with the heat.

ETSA Park would be great if some sort of deal could be struck to ensure money passing through the gate is directed back to basketball.

Does anyone know if ETSA Park is Government or privately owned? I am assuming it is GOvernment, but could very well be wrong (as usual)

Reply #92482 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, you'd have to wonder if it's a possibility to curtain off part of the Dome to aid with the atmosphere? e.g., above the concourse on one side at least. Though you'd have to factor in that camera stand, and you couldn't curtain off the other side unless you blocked off the corporate suites, etc. This sort of thing might've been out of the question before, but an option for Eddy and JVG?

Reply #92483 | Report this post

fess mate  
Years ago

ETSA park is owned by netball SA.

The place has sucurity issues and you have to long for coffee and the food is always cold.
KEEP BASKETBALL AT THE DOME......

Reply #92486 | Report this post

does netball come to us for help - when it is thunderstorms and pissing with rain - do they want to use anywhere indoors?

no

when it is stinking hot and they are out on bitumen

do they ask for the dome?

no

leave it alone - as devine homes says - dont waste your money on rent

Reply #92493 | Report this post

Fess mate  
Years ago

Reply #92497 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

The facilities for the athletes at ETSA park are better than anything Wayville or the Dome are able to offer.
With Wayville too small and the Dome too big, ETSA seems perfect.
Get an agreement that the monies earned from basketball games go to basketball and its a great move. More fans in seats means more money and Wayville sold out a number of times last year.
Wayville is a great venue but if u can use something better, get over ur netball vs basketball issues and look at whats better for the fans and more importantly the players and all work together to better sport in SA.

Reply #92498 | Report this post

baller - that is what worries me

take the moral high ground if you like

but experience tells me........

once bitten ......

Reply #92500 | Report this post

Fess mate  
Years ago

The best thing for basketball is to stay away from ETSA park.

Do you really think that they will give basketball any money. Your kidding yourself.

ETSA park is completely run by netball people thinking of them selves.

They would never ask help from the basketball fans.
They can't even run the thunderbirds properly, Ever been to a thunderbirds game? If you get a seat your lucky, the last two games have been over sold and the staff all passes the buck and went missing when asked to help. with management like that do will really want womens basketball played in a place like that.

Eddy has faith, lets support him....

Reply #92503 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Well live in the past if u wish... i'm not naieve and as i said get a monies agreement but if u do its a great move.
Much prefer to play at ETSA than Wayville for a WNBL game.
And to your comments about Netball not coming to us... we're only talking the elite level here and Netball elite is played indoors on wood in air conditioning... no need to ask for the Dome!

Reply #92504 | Report this post

i'd prefer lunch at the hyatt - but i know it will be subway

Reply #92508 | Report this post

after all it will be up to marino and "the girls"

Reply #92509 | Report this post

Fess mate  
Years ago

When was the last time Netball used the dome for an international game of netball?

They don't even use it for big games, they would rather over sell ETSA park and piss off the people that stay involved in netball.

Mate, if you think they would come up with a money agreement you are playing with your self.

Reply #92511 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

baller I agree with you, ETSA Park is a fantastic sporting venue!

Fess mate, wouldn't you like to see the Lightening games sold out (or over sold) with more than 3000 fans? That would be a real boost for the girls IMO, knowing they have such a strong fan base. At the moment, there is no real measuring stick above the 1000 people they can get into Wayville.

"If you can get a seat then you're lucky" - at least 2000 more people would get a seat than at Wayville! I think if you can get a seat at Wayville then you're lucky! Let alone a spot in the airconditioned bar!

I appreciate the fact that you've actually been to ETSA Park, because I reckon the majority of posters would not have been there and therefore can't really comment. But we really should look at improving the facilities for both the players and the fans...

Reply #92513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are people even sure that ETSA park is free for the lightning. i thought that ETSA park is used for korfball?

Reply #92534 | Report this post

crap  
Years ago

Reply #92541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Etsa Park has great facilities and would provide more room for spectators. If they could get some sort of deal with ETSA park and Netball SA that would give majority of the proceeds made from the games to basketball then i would definatly agree that it would be a better venue than wayville. If a deal cannot be reached then the lightning should stay at Wayville.

Reply #92560 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Stay at Wayville that would depend on who own's the stadium and how much it cost to hire. Who own's as has the council taken it back yet because they didn't get any money from the govenment to pay off the debt still owing to them by BASA and as there no BASA to reclaim the money from? Does BSA or the metro basketball want to start in debt all over again and go the same way as BASA?? So all of this needs to worked out before a deal is made anywhere wouldn't you say?

Reply #92585 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

unreal the dome is saved and ome people dont wont it
go and play netball if you want to play at etsa park
forget wayville the dome is the home simple as ABC

Reply #92595 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I dont dispute the Dome is basketballs home, and I would love to see the girls playing there in front of 5000 people.

In the meantime it is an issue. As pointed out in another thread about a similair theme, there are government agencies waiting in the wings to slap on OHS&W bans if the girls are forced to play at Wayville on hot days (I can remember doing stats there on a 40 degree day last year on a TV game, and with the additional lights it was hotter than the proverbial, and I wasnt running around!!)

Wayville has proven to be a great launching pad for the girls as a separate entity away from the 6ers, and has created their own fan base, but...if we want more people at Lightning games, we need to get bigger capacity venues.

Reply #92597 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

ETSA Park is used for Korfball on Sunday afternoons and only during winter. If they have summer comps they are normally on Friday nights and played either outdoors or somewhere like the Marion Rec Centre.

Reply #92608 | Report this post

If you read yesterday I dropped this rumour. I have read all your comments and concur the overriding aspect is the Dome is far to big for what the girls would like. A smaller purpose built venue is good. Yes it is Netballs home but remember they are a tennant only. Has Mr Foley done something to change the way of thinking...aren't we about accountability and securing the future. We have many good stadiums which at times sit not used. By combining the two sports in one would not only assist Netball but will also elevate the girls basketball. Creature comforts is what its about...you keep sponsors and patrons happy they come...compare the two at the moment forrestville and etsa park...I'm a sponsor where would you like to sit and watch your team...ETSA Park with near capacity, good corporate boxes a home that suits all conditions or the Dome watching the girls play with two thirds of the seats not sold....as a sponsor I'd know where to go....facts are facts....lets give them a go...hope the share...

Reply #92613 | Report this post

missing meerkat  
Years ago

SANFL play at nearly empty ovals - yet they are still rostered to adelaide oval AAMI stadium and suburban ovals - why aren't they in the parklands then?

Reply #92635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville must be spewing. A big loss of revenue!!

Reply #92638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:53 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754