DB5
Years ago

Stars Behaving Badly

Former Bull Lonny Baxter was arrested by uniformed Secret Service agents on Wednesday after shots were fired from a vehicle about two blocks from the White House.

Baxter, who played with the Charlotte Bobcats last season, was taken into custody around 2:30 a.m. after a witness flagged down a Secret Service agent and reported shots fired from a white sport-utility vehicle, said Secret Service spokesman Eric Zahren.

Are these guys in the NBA losing it?
This just adds to an off season that I am sure the NBA would like to forget...
There have been drug charges with mascots/players, now drive by shootings, and only a couple of weeks ago a player having a wank whilst driving and getting caught!
Why is this? Is it the attention, the money, the "gangsta" mentallity they all seem to have these days, a combination of both, or something totally different?
Thoughts anyone...

Topic #8281 | Report this topic

daniel  
Years ago

I think you exaggerate the problem. The media jumps on every "legal issue" that involves ex/professional sportsmen.
With over 450 players in the NBA alone, plus coaching/support staff, plus literally thousands of ex-players, if even one in 50 gets in trouble, you'll have dozens of cases in the media. It's just a consequence of fame that their problems end up in the news.
There has been no escalation of the problems in the NBA, and you'll find there are equally infamous incidents occurring across all sporting leagues in the US, and worldwide.
It's nothing new, and will always exist, so just enjoy a giggle when they get caught and realise that, like all of us, sportstars make mistakes too - they just do it far more publically !

Reply #92470 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Considering there are 1000's of shootings every day in the states a few shots fired from a car isnt a huge thing over there. Not undermining the seriousness of the allegations but i think the NBA players are alot better behaved then the rest of America. Lets consider the upbringing and surroundings alot of these guys have grown up with before attacking them for every mistake.

Reply #92474 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

fair call guys, but there was no attacking at all there, just topic to open up for discussion.
shooting from a car near the white house and involving the secret service, and getting caught having a toss while driving are a bit out of the norm for anyone though....
cheers for the opinions.

Reply #92476 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

to bad he missed the man of the house!

Reply #92477 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

M Dizzle...shouldn't that be 'as well behaved as the rest of America.' The majority of Americans are good law abiding citizens.

Reply #92478 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I should clear that up, im not trying to 'type cast' all Americans. But the backgrounds from which the vast majority of NBA players come from do have very high crime and drug rates, so this should be considered when looking at their slip-ups or mistakes...we can't compare their surroundings to our own backyard.

Reply #92489 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

M Dizzle...I understand that and agree totally. I just had an issue with that one part of your post.

Reply #92491 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Lloyd, expect a visit from the men in black shortly!

Reply #92502 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, glad I didn't give Lloyd a little basketball in support now...

Reply #92514 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

All good Jasmine

Reply #92518 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

A lot of money and a lot of free time can be a dangerous combination......

Reply #92520 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Its ok Isaac, your memory of the whole incident will be erased at the end :)

Reply #92524 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

yeah good call lloyd, but i think at the time he was reading books upside down to school kids somewhere in utah..

Reply #92550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754