R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Years ago

Locked: The Swearing Ref!

Let me start by saying it was a social game. i know social what should I expect.

Situation: During the game the other team (footy players) were swearing when they missed a open lay up or something similiar. Ref made a call and one player had a quick spray saying "oh come on". Ref returned with shut the F$@K up u don't know wat ur talking about. Player returns with u can't swear at me. Ref turns and waddels off.

Later on in the game another player missed a shot and swore. Same ref came through and Teched the player for swearing.

The other player comes across and say's hold on you swore at me before. That is f%@ked. Tech given to that player as well.

Next thing you know ref ejects both players. Other ref just standing there in disbelieve. 5 min to go in the game. Ref said fine f&#k you all games called off.

Now I agree swearing outloud when u miss a shot should be given as a tech. But when the ref is swearing at players to begin with. What does he expect?? Just because he puts on his black and white doesn't mean you can show no respect and swear at players.

Now this ref is a district ref and does know better. He was also spoken to earlier on in the year for swearing at a coach during state champs.

Before people jump on and start bagging this, is there any process that a player can do to report this ref where something will actually happen instead of being spoken to.

Topic #8288 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

simple no swearing the ref should be reported simple tech the players but if ref think inappropriate to swear then why does he ?? and what action should be taken ask the ref ???
this holy than thou attitude whats get up people noses about refs who put on the gray and black and become super wonders in their dreams
i have no idea about the game - ref etc - but this just brings bad taste to all

Reply #92593 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

who was the ref? if its who i think it is, hes a tool and ejected me once aswell, but for good reason, after my outbursts after his disgraceful calls.

Reply #92599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He started it!
No, you started it!
WAAAAAAA, WAAAAAAA.

Reply #92603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there's a male ref at mvale who swears at the players.. I've heard him do it more than once and I know that there have been complaints put in about him but he is still reffing.

Reply #92609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont give it away will you!!!

Reply #92618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

insert yawn. All I can say is get F**ked.

Reply #92655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and for 52-cans, well well well, somebody from Division 5 doesnt like the umpires. Ring Mike Daws, i'm sure he'll care........Nope, nobody cares about you

Reply #92656 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

swear jar Jan.

Reply #92663 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think the same ref is the clear stats leader for both techs and games called off...

He threatened to tech the score bench in one game because the clock wasn't started correctly on one occasion.

Reply #92664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does this thread still exist?

If it was about a player or coach it would have been deleted 5mins after being started.

Reply #92666 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#92666 fair comment. Probably out of frustration as most refs are fairly approachable and willing to discuss the game or an interpretation.

Reply #92667 | Report this post

just havin my say  
Years ago

Why does it still exist... good question. Perhaps issac can tell us. why are there still 3 referees names on here... well perhaps issac can tell us that as well.

He can also tell us why people from the 'lower class' divisions who think they can play basketball are always oh here having a wah wah.

These people do not deserve a ball. In fact anybody who comes on here and dribbles the jibba-jabba that they dont like the umpiring, should not recieve anything (except for maybe the doorman on tuesday nights at the dome).

If you dont want the refs swearing at you, then dont swear at them. its funny how it is acceptable for players to do it, and not umpires.
Take Joey Johns in the NRL. He got two weeks. I know of an umpire who did less then Joey and got 2 years, all cos he said F*-k once.

But if you think that coming on hoops.com.au (cheep pop), and writing that you don't like certain umpires will help them improve, you must be stupid. and you do deserve a ball....to the head.

'Would it happen to be ----- or ----? TERRIBLE UMPIRES shouldn't be umpiring bball fullstop (52-Cans, 17/08/06)

yeah, that's going to make the umpire's enjoyment of the game rise, and i'm sure that the next time they hit the court they're going to have that in their mind to hinder their performance.
Even better stop having your wah wah, dry up those tears, and start umpiring yourself since you think its so easy. no, you would rather just sit behind your computer screen and dribble jibba-jabba. (Prob how you play basketball as well)

Perhaps its time for referees to get on players backs when they miss a free throw. There's no defense... its not like you are out of position. Come on people, its sport. In this case its social basketball (or div5.....nah thats social basketball).

Grow up you imbosibles.

That's me, just havin my say

Reply #92671 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've left it so far because I've read nothing that suggests that the ref hasn't sworn as suggested, and that surely that's an issue worth addressing?

If you have an issue with a specific post then email me via the forum with the address of the thread, the ID# of the post, and so on - this has been forum practise since the beginning and it's in the guidelines or terms of use. I don't have time to read every single post that comes through and make calls on what people think is fair, what they think is too heavy-handed, what's legal, what's offensive to a minority, etc?

People have criticisms of players, referees, administrators and so on (go and read the comments about Marcus Ng for a recent example). This is one case where from my skim-read it seemed that a player was right in suggesting that a referee had acted poorly and was asking their peers for a suggestion on how to lodge a complaint - I think that's reasonable.

Reply #92673 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

imbosibles? is that an imbicile who is impossible to deal with?

Reply #92674 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

its not a witch hunt. it is about accountability and understanding the process.

Reply #92675 | Report this post

just havin my say  
Years ago

kind of reminded me of the wombles.... so i had to mix imbicile with womble and thats what i got. and to you issac, would you like for me to write up here every time that i hear a player swear at a ref. thats surely an issue worth addressing. there's juniors tonight. perhaps we can write about how they have bad parents because they swore at a ref in an under 18s game....

Reply #92676 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Players aren't calling the game. They aren't being paid to participate (they're paying to be on the court). You've taken a very basic and thoughtless view of the situation. Ideally they're not going to swear, but if they do, warn them and then tech them - how does swearing back at them aid in control of the game? From the original post in this thread, it seems like things got very quickly out of control because of that.

(Louts probably swear at police all the time, but I would expect the police to play a professional hand and not stoop unnecessarily to that level.)

And if enough people, including at least one who is a reliable-enough contributor to believe, think that there's a pattern of poor performance, then asking a question about what can be done is fair.

I'll say it again: if you have a problem with a specific post, then you email me about it. Easy.

Reply #92678 | Report this post

just havin my say  
Years ago

to all those who read that, umpires get paid re-emburstment for their time. its not like they get paid hundreds of dollars to come do a div 4 or 5 game, let alone social.
Some players respond better when you speak their 'language'. Cam McKinnon (that was cam not sam for those playing along at home) for example. talk to him he'll keep crying. call him a soft bitch, he smiles and gets on with the game.
Some players it is needed to speak to them like that. they look at you and say "shit, i told him to fcuk off, and he didnt tech me... he just told me to fcuk off as well... thats what i like"

And dont get me started on the police.... and their stupid bloody horses! Umpires are not police, they do not police the game.

and if i emailed you isaac, that would spoil all the fun.... Does your guidelines not say QUOTE "Where possible, don't slam referees. They have a tough job and they make mistakes. There's scope to discuss a contentious call, but keep it fair. A number of refs read and post to the forum -- if you piss them off, who's going to call your game?" UNQUOTE

Reply #92682 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

playing a game like basketball is emotional. an emotional expletive will often come out.
more often then not, the swearing is directed at the frustration of their own action, and is not directed at a ref.
either way, swearing deserves a tech foul.
there is no excuse for a ref to swear AT players. it demonstrates a lack of confidence and integrity.
how is an emotionally charged ref going to make efective and unbiased decisions?

Reply #92683 | Report this post

just havin my say  
Years ago

i know of many a time when a ref has heard a player swear, and when the tech was given not oly the player, but the coach went off their tree. Game control brother.
Just because a ref tells a player to get f///ked doesnt mean that he cant make an unbiased decision. Just because a ref doesnt like a bloke doesnt mean he's going to call carp on him for the rest of the game.
its just amazing how its ok for a player to do it, and not a ref.....

Reply #92684 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

just havin my say,
you sound like a very grumpy person.
read my post again without your ego getting in the way of understanding simple concepts.
as a ref, you have the procedures in place to deal with players and coaches who swear.
if a player or coach swears AT the ref, eject them.
maintain the integrity of the game and the referees.

Reply #92687 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Game control? Glad your not referreeing any higher then div 5 and by the sounds of it you never will. Respect is earned not given. That goes for Players, Coaches or Referree's.

Reply #92693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game control brother

Ah, this famous term again. The ref's copout to not calling stuff.

Just because a ref tells a player to get f///ked,

So let me get this straight: showing game control means NOT teching a player who swears as the rules say, but to swear back at them. This will never degenerate will it.....oops, wait, that's exactly what happened in this topic starter. How was calling the game off showing great "game control"??

its just amazing how its ok for a player to do it, and not a ref.....

It's NOT okay for a player - he should be teched for it as the rule stipulates. But neither is it okay for a ref to do it.

Reply #92694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day posting on this forum about an incident with a referee will not achieve anything.

If you have any concerns with refereeing at a social level then you should first speak to the Umpire In Charge and if still not satisfied contact the relevant Stadium Manager during business hours.

Reply #92700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In Social Competitions if a player or team has a problem with the conduct of a referee they should first address it to the Umpire in Charge. If they are not satisfied with the result then they should lodge a formal complaint in writing to the Stadium Manager who will work with me to rectify the problem.

In District Juniors the same applies except the team/individual etc. needs to put the complaint through their club committee.
In District Seniors there is no UIC so you need to go though your club in the first instance.

Neil Poulton
Manager, Referee Development

Reply #92706 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754