Johnny Sack
Years ago

WC: AUSTRALIA v TURKEY (possible spoilers)

Saw the Lithuania v Turkey game yesterday and i have to say that Turkey look quite intimidating... They seem to have adopted to a more uptempo game style than i am used to seeing from them (and the Greeks in particular)... Gone are the days that you spectators and opposition teams would be lulled to sleep by Turkish offenses they were pretty pleasing to watch... Watch out for Ilyasova (Bucks 2nd rounder last year 20yo) quality big man who can shoot (might end up being what Denver thought Skita would be but he came much cheaper - in terms of draft pos. and rookie salary scale)... One more thing - what was Brian doing starting Barlow yesterday and (my last whinge about the Boomers - beacause really in light of injuries and other factors Neilsen/Schenscher stories it is not such a bad squad) why is Hinder on the team, with the whopping amount of game time he will get wouldn't blooding a Loughton, (Ben) Knight, or Vanderjagt make a lot more sense (since Hinder is already 27 yo)?????

Topic #8310 | Report this topic

hurley  
Years ago

So did Brazil and France, they looked intimidating, so anything can happen I guess. I hope the boomers take it out and we can get a good seeding.

Reply #92827 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Looks like this one might get a bit nasty - there's already been one altercation... The Turks are pulling some dirty tricks (esp. some of their picks...)...

Reply #92840 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

HT 40-26

Didn't see that coming to be honest... Boomers really started clicking in the 2nd half of the period (and the Turks look somewhat rattled by it...)... Bruton shooting like madman - and Newley hit an insane 3pter (well beyond NBA land...)...

Reply #92841 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Updates please?? Is there updates on the site?

Reply #92844 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

55-49 AUS

Our lack of size is telling... the Boomers are a little bit like the Dutch Boy and the leaky Dyke... This will be a great one if - IF they can hang on...

Reply #92847 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Dead#### foul by Bruton - 5 of them... Good one...

Reply #92849 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Smitty out now (5fls) - we'll get to see how a backcourt of Bruce and Kendall fares (70-65 TUR)

Reply #92851 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Bruce just hit a tough 3 and drew a travel - 1min 72-68 Tur, Aus Pos...

Reply #92852 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Over 68-76 TUR -... as little good as it does - one of either Andersen or Anstey would have made all difference in my opinion... Cest' la vie... Too big and strong... Turkey might be shaping as a darkhorse now... strong inside and out...

Reply #92856 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Damn!

Reply #92859 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

any box scores

Reply #92862 | Report this post

tony  
Years ago

jees does bogut even care?

no rebounds, useless f/t shooting, and he couldn't even muscle down a turkish big guy in the second half and instead chucked up some soft hooks.

he did not look good at all.

Reply #92870 | Report this post

Kobe8  
Years ago

Jason Smith has been hopless, age perhaps starting to cathc up with his game! Still a sharp shooter but his overall game is fading

Reply #92871 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

We can't just expect Bogut to do everything. Every time he got the ball down on the block, the other 4 guys just stood their.
Our offence looked shocking. It was either CJ throwing up threes, or we would throw it into Bogues, who was kept quiet all night and struggled.
And Goorjan should have put two bigs in at a time, as we were KILLED by their big guys.
And finally, am I the only one who wants to see less Kendall and more Bruce?

Reply #92873 | Report this post

tony  
Years ago

He should be expected to do a lot more than he produced tonight.

He's not just an NBA player - he's an NBA no. 1 pick! He's meant to at least be the equal of guys who'll never sniff the NBA. Yet there he was getting abused by nearly all the Turkish bigs one after another.

4 rebounds and lousy shooting does not cut it. He needs to pick it up.

Reply #92874 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I agree Bogut wasnt in this game, and he was only on single coverage! Hes a great player.. but this was far from his game, CJ p[layed well despite a few bad descisions. I think that Helliwell Bogut and Mckinnon shouldve been our front court, we wouldnt have been killed on the boards.... however that never happened.... I think that the 2nd quater was good, but the last quater was ugly! I know Australia can play better then that. Turkeys a decent team, but we shouldve won that game, i hope that there are some serious shake ups in the team come our next game.... i dont expect to beat Greece but we might... and improvement would be good to see..... we must beat Qatar to make the second round (one would think thats a given) we must beat lithuania to guarantee that we dont have to play team USA.

Reply #92878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut NBA bust, the Bucks should get Bruton or trade for Maglore or Joe Smith. Waiting for Skyhook to have a cry again over this.

Reply #92881 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The issue we have at the point was exposed in this game, no CJ = game over.

Bogut is providing a distraction for other guys to work off, but do agree that his post moves arent that great.

Why is Barlow in there down the stretch? Rarely holds his own in the NBL let alone at World Champ level.

Mackinnon's foul trouble would have changed the outcome i feel. Based on the Brazil game he is the only 3/4 we have that is international level.

Hate to say it but i am liking Worthingtons game. Tuff and hustle.

Reply #92884 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Yeah - Wortho is going a long way to make us forget about Neilsen's abscence (who as talented as he is - i consider to be a soft, whinging prima donna)... Wortho might just be one of those guys whose game excels at intl. level... saw him play last year in Tokyo against the Japanese National Team and came away very impressed (ditto Loughton - hence the Hinder question)...

Reply #92886 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Wortho is very good internationally. how can you complain about Boguts post moves?!? I dont know if youve seen the NBA games, or the first few moves bogut DID pull in the turkey game, but hes got a potent post game. Turkey played well in the 2nd half and we moved away from what got us the lead, if we can regroup we may be able to stun Greece much in the same way we did Brazil.

Reply #92902 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Johnny Sack,

You could have told Matthew Nielsen your opinion of him in person at Wayville on Saturday night - for some bizarre reason, he was at the Flames-Eagles game.

Does anyone know why he was here? Was he flagrantly flaunting his much-publicised insurance dramas by defiantly travelling to Australia to watch hoops?

Or is he - in the absolute recruiting coup of the year - the final FINAL piece of the Sixers roster? (Yes, I know they've just announced their 12 - but in a stroke of genius, Smyth has successfully appealed to the NBL for the Sixers to get Nielsen's and say Wheeler's points value reduced, a la Axel Dench.)

Reply #92906 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think Bogut badly needs to develop a fadeaway jumper in the post, as I haven't seen him pull one out ever I don't think. He gets pushed off his babyhook too easily, his attack on the basket is strong but he needs another weapon

Reply #92910 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen, fight in the crowd, Adelaide.....dots joined or what?

Reply #92914 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Anon (#92881)

" Bogut NBA bust, the Bucks should get Bruton or trade for Maglore or Joe Smith. Waiting for Skyhook to have a cry again over this. "

LOL. Post of the day.Tears of laughter.

Reply #92920 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

The fadeaway jumpers the only thing his post game is missing, otherwise i dont think anyone has the right to complain about it. Hes very good in the post and is only getting better. We need more guys working off of him, as crap D as Hinder plays sometimes... he is one player who knows how to compliment Bogut in the low block, moves to all the right places for nice passes and can score near the ring probably better then Wade Helliwell, Helliwell is a far better defender however.

Reply #92922 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

Twenty four,

Spot On!! Thats exactly what i thought whilst watching the match!

Reply #92941 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754