Sturty6ers
Years ago

Boomers vs Lithuania

End of second quarter Boomers down by 7.

Topic #8342 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Not quite sure if that's a negative or positive. If Fiba.com is to be trusted, we had 17 turnovers in the first half, and we're 'only' down 7.

7/13 FT's is concerning though, especially after the way we ended last game. Also concerning is having attempted only 9 2's compared to 12 3's. We've had 21 total FG attampts to Lith's 36.

Reply #93209 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah but Lithuania had a similar number.

Reply #93212 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

down by 11 3:42 to go in the 3rd.

Reply #93213 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

31% from the field and the turnovers are killing us.

Reply #93215 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Lith had 10 turnover at half time. 7 more turnovers & 7 points down was kind of manageable.

Got no hope now being 11 down. CJ just got a tech.

Assuming we lose this game, we need to beat Qatar (which *should* happen) and have Brazil lose their remaining games (Greece & Lith) to qualify for the top 16.

If that happens, we'll cross over with a #1 seed (USA?) and likely be relegated to playing off for 9-16.

Reply #93216 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Start of the 4th quarter down by 12. I don't believe the FG%.

29% to 56%

Reply #93219 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hinder's getting PT...

Reply #93222 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Well i was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt yesterday... but today was just spineless... One of the worst 1/2s of BBall from a Boomers team i have ever seen (dating back to Canada '94)... A question - how can Sammy hit 3s consistently but not shoot FTs???

Reply #93226 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The same reason Bruce Bowen can.

One of lifes mysteries.

Reply #93228 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

we lost by 22, shot more 3's than 2's ( and both badly) and had 28 turnovers in a 40 minute game...that is 1/3 of offences we did not get a shot off...terrible.

I understand the philosophy of blooding new talent, but this is an embaresment. Rille, Maher, D-Mac style was needed to sure up our back court at this years games.

What is Barlow doing out there? if he is the future of Oz Basketball the sport is headed further down that where it is now.

Reply #93231 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Barlow will be a great player..... best case scenario is we get 4th lose to USA.... go for 9th to 16 playoffs and get 9th.

We need for these things to happen...... Brazil to lose both of the next games.

or, Brazil to win one close and for us to win to Qatar by 40 plus,

or Lithuania to lose their next game us to win (which would tie us..... it may end up a 3 way tie for third if Brazil win one of two, we win tommorow and Lithuania lose)

so basicly its up to every other team BUT us how we do, with Qatar waiting.... one would assume we'd win there.... but no one thought we would lose to Lith by 21.

Reply #93237 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

DONT BLAME THE COACH OR YOUr GET A LETTER LIKE BOTi

Reply #93238 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

Thats absolutely disgusting. "Going Backwards" is an understatement.

Reply #93242 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Can't win game with only 4 guys hitting a two point basket!

Postive I guess is Bogut and Newley scoring well? But both had 6 turnovers....

At least Brad saw 30 minutes this game.

What was CJ's tech for?

Reply #93244 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

more 3's then 2's Bloody disgracefull,

but im sure BA will find a reason for Boy Georges Failure oops i mean rebuilding for the future results,

cmon BA dont kid the fans, im not saying phil would or could do better, but surely its time for another coach whether locally or internationally

Reply #93291 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

They call tech fouls on Australia for the slightest things

brendan joyce stood up on the sideline in the greece game, thats all he did.... got called for a tech

yet Greece flails there arms and makes a show on the sideline non stop.... nothing

Brian Gorjian got called for a tech when he wanted them to reset the clock, he said "clock, clock" and the dude thought he was swearing and slapped a tech down, refs are bias in my eyes, i just see other teams getting away with stuff we dont.

Also the boomners were so emotionally drained, you could see it in the way they played.... their only human.... but they never really gave that match there all. some say oh every team has to play the same amount of games, but do they play full court pressure defense or get as thrashed in training? doubt it!

We can get through if Brazil lose tommorow and we win. if Brazil win, its all on points differential. Brazil lost by 11 tonight vs Greece. If we get through in 4th, lose to USA in the crossover... we can still stake a place between 9th and 16th. most likly the lower numbers, but it will be to some consolidation. When the olympics come, if we dont have so many injuries, if our big men are well and the potential young guys comming through progress at the current rate... we may challenge a medal in 2008.... we couldve done it now if it werent for injury. but i think the boomers played atleast 3 of the 4 games so far hard, and maybe lost out on experience in clutch situations.

Reply #93309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it was Beveridge, not Joyce called for the tech - you might want to check that.

And if we're exhausted from playing a press or getting thrashed in training, whose responsibility is that? Plus, you're speculating or twisting things when suggesting that others teams aren't training or defending as hard.

Reply #93316 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

And even best case scenario, there is no way we are pushing for a medal at 2008 olympics. I need to see more than a smell of potential to assume that we will do well.

After all, there are currently about 10 - 12 countries (at least) that have TEAMs that are better than us, and will also have people coming through with potential.

Reply #93319 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

XY, we should push for a medal in 2008. If BG is still around (i hope not) he will have no excuses. He will have Andersen, Nielsen, Schenscher and Anstey at his disposal along with a Bruce fresh from college, a Newley entering his prime and CJ ready for one last hurrah. Add Bogut to that squad and a couple of role players (Jacob & a couple of others) and you have the most talented team we have had since 2000 (when we should have medalled). The future does look bright for OZ ball, but the problem is now looks crap! why didn't we take the best team available? It sounds good in theory to blood youngsters but that is what friendlies are for (how many inexperienced players played for the socceroos at the world cup?). BG could have assembled a Boomers team that would have been better than the one we have playing now. In saying that I am still barracking for the team and hope they progress to the next round. They have been picked to represent Australia and are trying their hardest and doing us proud (pity the coaching & selection staff haven't done us proud). By the way, who will be our point guard of the future? Bruce is a shooter, Newley a slasher, AIS please give us a new General.
GO AUSTRALIA!!!

Reply #93323 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

There is some suggestion on ozhops that Gorge wanted to take dmac but BA said no as it did not suit what they are trying to achieve....trying to achieve letting basketball slide donw the popularity pole even further?

Would soccer have done that, hmmm now that we have made the world cup lets practice far a tournament that is 2 years away.

Reply #93344 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

How many sydney kings players?

Reply #93408 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754