anon
Years ago

ABL Grand Final results

Sturt women winners, Sturt men losers

Topic #8398 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmmmm.....mens was good until last 5 mins of 4th quarter, then eagles blew it open, matt sutton made some big plays

Reply #93684 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Should have been MVP, team player

Reply #93685 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

I left before the presentations of the mens game, i was just womdering who got the MVP for the game? Great game to watch, Sturt shot way too many 3 pointers that were forced to really win the game. Great game by Matt Sutton, easily won the game for his team!!!

The womens game was good but not that great cos of the margin in the end. I thought that one of the Bowley sisters should have won the MVP of that game instead of Marino, i thought she only tood out in the last quarter when the game was over, where aas the Bowleys all stood out all game.

Great night of South Aussie basketball though and great to see so much support for the game we love.

Reply #93686 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Darren Ng recieved MVP for the night.
Overall a great night of South Aussie basketball
GO EAGLES!!!!!!!

Reply #93687 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Marino i reckon played a good game overall. She kept out of foul trouble early(unlike monique bowley) which allowed her t play freely in the end . All in all both games were good

Reply #93688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt relied to much on Ng who struggled to hit a basket when it counted down the stretch - but a deserving MVP anyway. Forestville more even across the board. Even Dougie hit two 3's ! Dix did not have a great game but grabbed a heap of important defensive rebounds in the 4th quarter. Sturt should have exploited Oscar's height difference more often . A good game but Forestville seemed to have Sturt's measure for the most of it. Sullivan also a great game ( 20+ points )

Reply #93689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game by Sutton but I thought Arnold blew the game open in the last 3 minutes - back to back assists the a lay up.

Bauer outcoached tonight. Sturt were too tired down the stretch. Simons resisted the temptation of running his starters into the ground. He left Dix, Sutton and Arnold on the bench for the first 4 minutes of the lastquarter and their fresh legs were the difference in the end.

Darren was unstoppable - all 33 of his points came from tough contested shots. He was just buggered at the end and cramping up. I cant remember him coming off - he normally has a couple of minutes break per half at least. Maybe this told down the stretch or probably it was just the fact that he had no help tonight except a bit from Oscar who was solid but not great and Dodman who played well and probably should have been given a run again late in the fourth.

Well done Eagles - best team all season as far as discipline and teamwork go - deserved winners.

Reply #93692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

worse thing tonight the women's victory speech

get over yourself we weren't their for a political rally

Reply #93693 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

people in the crowd said it was Dix's last game. Hope it isn't, but if it is, what a great way to finish a stella career.

Reply #93696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng was stoppable. 3 men guarding him can stop him.

Sutton for MVP (imo) ...down the stretch, keeping Ng to a quiet 33, big time player in my mind.

M.Ng the only Sixer not to hit the court?

Reply #93698 | Report this post

master?  
Years ago

How many people attended the game tonight?

Reply #93700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the womens speech was right on the money. They were explaining that you don't need to buy players to win a championship.

"Home Grown Heroes" on the shirts. A nice touch.

GO YOU MIGHTY DOUBLE BLUES. Bad luck to the mens but they were outplayed and out coached. down the stretch. I agree with a previous post. Arnold was the game breaker for me. He hit some tough jumpers and penetrated and dish to precision. Well done forestville

Reply #93701 | Report this post

damrob  
Years ago

Photos from tonights games are now available at www.damrob.com.au or via direct link http://www.damrob.com.au/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=20320

That wraps up the ABA winter season, but be sure to check out the gallery as the 06/07 NBL and WNBL seasons start. We're hoping to cover a handful of away games this season, but we'll have more details on our website in a few weeks time.

Reply #93704 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Women's victory speech said it all for me, now I know why Sturt is so disliked.

Reply #93708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hannah Bowley and Caroline Nixon were awesome in the women's game I thought either of them deserved mvp over marino. Ranford played a shocker and when things weren't going her way she had a sook then played with the least sportsmanship I have seen from any player all season. actually looked like she was trying to hurt someone at times.
Congrats to the sabre women a well deserved win after a good season.

Reply #93709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a basketball fan i came out of the night happy, I wanted Sturt to win the womens game, cos I dont like Ranford's attitude - she has elbows the size of Paul Rees, and likes to use them. And then the forestville mens team won, knowning a couple of the guys in the team I was happy for them to win.

One comment about the sturt men's team, if oscar did actually pay his own way back, perhaps his money would be better spent at the Bear Basketball Individual coaching and learn to rebound. I was highly critical of him over the last NBL season for his lack of rebounding and everyone said he really wasnt in the team to rebound. At ABA level he should be able to out rebound the whole opposition, but you cant do that when you are standing at the high post or 3 line watching Darren shoot.

Reply #93712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Dougie!

..... and Dixy!

Reply #93715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #93693

Why would you be so disappointed by a team being impressed with the fact that they have all grown up and played for the same club since they started juniors.

I would say that in the modern era it is the only time it has happened and the girls should be more than happy with themselves. As should the club.

If more clubs put money into their juniors South Australia would not be in the current financial mess they are in now.

Reply #93725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know the final scores for both games last night.

Reply #93730 | Report this post

x's and o's  
Years ago

Coach of the year was shown up down the stretch in the mens.

Dodman was a force all night and was on the floor when they made their two magor runs at f/ville but
ate pine for the last 4/5 minutes, Bauer choosing to go with the non threat hakendorf and instead.

Sturt also had no real presence on Defence, picking up their first foul for the 4th qtr with 3min to go. By the time they could get f/ville to the line there was only 1:25 left on the clock.

Gower was a joke all night.

Well done to fville, consistency over 4 qtrs got the job done.

Reply #93733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#93725)

the way the 'speech' was presented did not come accross perhaps as it was meant.

in a say five minute speech perhaps 30 seconds was given to thanking her opponents.

good on them for being home grown, good on them for being proud of their club, ramming it endlessly down peoples throats in a political rally type speech doesn't make it popular there were many non Sturt and non Forestville peole there and it wasn't overly well received. it IMO detracted from what the girls had achieved. Perhaps a reference to it then wear the t-shirts which said it all anyway.

Besides all clubs don't have home grown players and some for good reason say perhaps Marino had to play in Perth, now she is playing for Lynx, she wouldn't be a home grown player, like Ranford for Forestville.

Lindsay a long time Noarlunga player was forced to play interstate if she wished to continue to play WNBL do you blame her for no longer playing for Southern?

Sturt men are hardly all home grown, Gower was a Norwood junior, Marcus & Darren Ng Woodville juniors.

The speech left a bad taste in many a mouth and friends of mine who came along for the first time in 3 or 4 years to watch made comment that they had been barracking for Sturt to win, now she wished they hadn't because it doesn't hurt to be humble in victory.

Reply #93735 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

How about you all get over yourselves?

Political Rally!!!???

Comparing Monique to Nelson Mandella or Dr. Martin Luther King might be a bit extreme.

In the end - the right people were thanked including the opposition.

Congratulations to both teams, you have worked hard for 10 months training twice and three times a week and you should be proud of your achievement. No one can take it away, bad speech or not...

Reply #93741 | Report this post

Monique Bowley  
Years ago

Transcript anyone? Make up your own minds.

1. Ladies and gentleman what you see before you is a product of the sturt basketball club. Years of training and junior development have come to fruition...you guys are home grown heroes.

2. I'd like to thank Forestville, you have been great competitors all season and its rivalries like ours that increase the level of the league...and bad luck tonight.

3. You simply wont find a better team of girls - where loyalty, strength of character and belief in each other supersedes any individual ego/effort achievement...blah blah you guys are awesome... (can't quite remember this bit...too many shots last night sorry)

4. Introduce players

5. Its a victory tonight not just for the team but the club as a whole and the beliefs it espouses.

It wasn't my intention to ram it down any ones throats.

I can make no apology for the way it was delivered - that's how I talk. Couple it with winning a championship and yeah, it was passionate.

Perhaps next time I will just stick to tired cliches.

Reply #93746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Monz. Awesome game and speech. Good to see that it is possible to develop a championship and not simply buy it!

Reply #93748 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Monique you are the hottest bball player I've ever seen play, I play for F/ville and enjoyed your speech! (Shut up everyone, I'm not sad lol)

Well done to women and to the men I'd give Dougghy MVP, he's the man!

Reply #93749 | Report this post

Years ago

you should know who i am 52-Cans, your sad :P, Good games to all that played. Thanks for providing such good entertainment!

S U T T O N!!

Reply #93752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the way the speech came across was that it was targeted at forestville whose main players are not forestville juniors. The fact is that recruiting is an important part of senior basketball. It is a continuous circle - you need a good senior team to attract people to the club (as well as a good junior program) and you need good juniors to work their way into the senior teams.

Bottom line is that recruiting and junior development are both important parts of senior basketball

Reply #93759 | Report this post

cry cry cry  
Years ago

re: Tonights results (#93759)

WRONG!

Recruiting at at a senior level hides deficencies and a lack of committment by both the senior and junior programs. This ridiculous notion that we should recruit into seniors to 'strengthen our squad' is bullshit and allows most clubs around the state to hide behind the very generous salary cap. IMO, every player in the senior squad should get the same amount of money - enough to cover petrol and thats it!

When will people realise that there is no secret as to why Sturt dominate most levels of competition in this state...because they invest time, effort and money into their juniors.

I'm sick of playing against the same old CRAP that the majority of clubs are calling basketball teams. Same OLD people making the same OLD mistakes, and they think its the competitions fault they:
1. Dont have a stadium - well maybe put some dosh into one yu idiots!
2. Cant attract kids - well maybe put your senioe budget into juniors for 1 season and you will see what will happen

OLD (by OLD I mean the people who have been making decisions for their very successful - hahaha - clubs for too long) people step aside. You've fuk'd this sport up over the past 15 years, realise you dont have ANY idea what your doing and let some younger, fresh thinking people fix your mistakes. Its ok, we will forgive you in time.

Merge some clubs, make a stronger competition lets move on. Too much debate, too much talk, stop fuk'ng talking about it and do it BSA. Cant please everyone, so dont!

Reply #93762 | Report this post

mambo  
Years ago

As an impartial but interested spectator, I think the speech from the Sturt captain was totally appropriate as winners can hold court.
That aside, the most startingly obvious difference between the two teams was their body shapes and fitness.Sturt presented athletes on the court whilst some of the Forestville players are clearly overweight and in less than top condition which is strange at the business end of the season.
Maybe body suits encourage fitness and Sturt's maligned body suit is their secret weapon.
An important thing happened at the end of the game too, the sturt players went over to their younger supporters and acknowledged them.
As much as I wish sturt played on Mars, they are the trend setters and if the rest of us are to catch up, we need to copy their junior program.
Well done to F'ville men. Too fast.

Reply #93775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you need to talk about home grown hereos then you should of been in the Appollo Bar after the mens game. Thats what you call home grown. The massive support the FEBC has, as shown by the huge numbers of Eagle supporters that where not only watching the game, but also in the bar afterwards to celebrate a fine night. I noticed the players spending a lot of time talking to most of the juniors which makes them feel it's a real family club. That's what makes for a great developing club with home grown heroes !!
Well done to the Sturt girls on a fine win........to bad about the embarrassing t-shirts.

Reply #93776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt don't recruit seniors they recruit juniors and then say its there product. Casey Beaumont recruited from Eastern in U16's, anyother recruited in U18's from Southern. So if you recruit young enough your ok your home grown.

Reply #93783 | Report this post

Wayne Beaumont  
Years ago

Casey Beaumont was NOT recruited from Eastern Mav's. She left of her own accord, for her own reasons. It has been a vary positive change for her.
This type of comment, as usual, is uninformed and very ill-founded. I would suggest that people would be better served asking why kids leave their club.
Again, please do NOT make comments about situations you obviously know nothing about.

Reply #93784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats good Wayne I'm glad for Casey. I stand corrected on Casey but I know what sturt do as I was one of many players that was asked to come to sturt. They can come on here all they like and deny it but I wont change my view.

Reply #93801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a box score for last nights game?

Reply #93802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

93801 : You are so correct. I was also poached by Sturt and promised the Earth.That lasted until they found the next one to take my place. And they call it home grown developement !

Reply #93805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Moniques speach was enjoyable, if not humerous. Just showed a passionate player, pumped up after a good win.

However, when you put that in context with 93762 comments it shows why her speach, unfortunately suffers a backlash.

"This ridiculous notion that we should recruit into seniors to 'strengthen our squad' is bullshit and allows most clubs around the state to hide behind the very generous salary cap." = Darren Ng, Todd Gower, Austin Smylie????

Reply #93806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, has there ever been a better team than the current Forstville mens side. Massive talent, stars, role players, humble blokes who love to play not only for the singlet on their backs, but for each other.
Dix, MacDonald-Taylor and Sullivan should have their numbers retired. They are what team sports are all about and all of Forstville love them for it.

Well done boys...you deserved the win, you are the best team this state has seen.....good luck at the nationals. Although, I heard that Sutton and Mac-T can't participate due to 36ers and work duties respectively! good luck anyway....do us proud!

Reply #93811 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coming in late to the thread (moved house, no internet), here are my thoughts.

Great game from the Sturt women. Thought Monique's speech was very well delivered -- good to see some passion which you don't see a lot of from the male counterparts (sorry guys). Nice work from the Sturt juniors who made a lot of noise during both games - makes up for a quiet season at Pasadena.

Mens game - Forestville played good team basketball and had a great spread of scorers. Darren was his usual self, but exhausted by the end (33 and 7 assists). Oscar had a brilliant bucket to start and then couldn't make enough after that (went 8/24 for the night for 21/11/3 and 3 blocks, zero turnovers). The boxscore gives him three blocks?! I counted four in the first half. Dodman did very well (6/8 FG for 13 points) and deserved more time as others have said. Other than that, the Sabres were an offensive presence short - wouldn't have hurt if Potsie was playing, someone who can get on a run of threes. Only had three guys in double figures to the Eagles' five. Shep 2/11 FG, 1 assist in 32 minutes, Todd Smyth fared better shooting 2/4 and having 3 boards and 3 assists in 16. Palmer got his usual scrappy boards. Someone said Gower was bad, but 6 and 11 in 24 minutes is alright - did well on the boards I thought.

As for the Eagles, you would want to give the MVP to about four of them jointly. Sutton had a composed 16/7/3, Dougie had those crucial threes (12 points all up), Sullivan had the 22 points and Arnold had 11/9/4. Dix 14 and 12, but 3/13 FG - did what was needed.

Even on the boards 53 each, Eagles up 43% to 38% from the field, close from the three. Turnovers 11 to 12 (favouring Forestville).

Not an entertaining game to watch as a Sturt fan as it was very choppy until that run in the second half to take the lead for the first time. Some moments of brilliance from Ng that had a lot of people impressed. Then when the fouling started in the final minutes it was all inevitable and the lead pushed out.

Congratulations to the Sturt women and Forestville men.

Reply #93825 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

I think a point that has been neglected is the fact that the Sabres women's eldest player is 26 or 27 (Dometto)and the 2nd eldest is only 24. I think Marcus Wong did well to keep the Bowley ego's in touch and i think Nixon's on court leadership and poise kept them together all season. They are a young group and have years of winning to go if they all stay around. Congrats girls and coaching staff.

Reply #93830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The home grown only applies to the Sturt womens side, the mens team can't say that.

I hope the womens team and their supporters still cheered for Darren Ng when he won the Woolacott, even though he wasn't "home grown".

Reply #93844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO you Home Grown Heroes. You did us proud.

As for the mens team not being home grown heroes, I agree. Darren & Marcus Ng (woodville) Todd Gower (Norwood) Austin Smylie (Import)

but then theres

Oscar Forman (Sturt)
David Shepherd (Sturt)
Scott Palmer (Sturt)
Todd Smythe (Sturt)
Marcus Hakendorf (Sturt)
Jordan Dodman (Sturt)
Mark Paget (Sturt)
Nathan Vaughn (Sturt)

Other players that could have been there if the ABL 2 import rule was not there

Brad Hill (Sturt)
Jacob Holmes (Sturt)
Brett Maher (Sturt)

Reply #93847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right. Darren's not homegrown, but it was also his decision to leave Woodville (ask his last woodville coach). Every team has players that have come from different clubs. Every one is quick to insult on this site, but as mentioned by Wayne before, it is usually ill-founded and uninformed. And in the end, only makes the person posting the message look like a d%&khead. It's great to have an opinion, but to come on here and state facts that alot of you know nothing about is ridiculous.

Reply #93848 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Home Grown Heroes was a fair theme for the Sturt womens team, but I don't remember Monique claiming that it was the "only path" or attributable to the mens roster as well.

Can't imagine why the womens team wouldn't have cheered Darren Ng's medal win either. Suggesting otherwise is a real stretch.

Reply #93849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah - this hasnt got anything to do with the mens team - did anyone see the men wearing "home grown heroes" t-shirts? ah no...

anyway, I thought monzs speach was good - she was obviously stoked with the win and full of adrenaline so the way it came out was very direct and confident. I dont think she was meaning to be disrespectful to forrestville - just trying to enforce the fact that majority of the sturt WOMENS team have come up from juniors.

On another topic - the crowd was awesome saturday night! If only we could get that kind of atmosphere at more games!! I am usually one of the only sturt supporters out every game so it was good not to be the only one yelling and makin a fool of myself :-)

Reply #93851 | Report this post

Bernie  
Years ago

Congratulations to Spadge on getting another title. I know it was a hard decision to leave the Flames but it appears to have paid off. Good Work mate

"Remember where you came from"

Also good to see there were no fights in the crowd. I guess the Forrestville and Sturt Crowds are not as Pasionate as the Norwood crowds :-)

Reply #93857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #93847,

There is no way Sturt can claim Brad Hill and Jacob. The only reason they played for Sturt was because they was no Eastern when they started juniors.

Reply #93859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way Sturt can claim Brad Hill and Jacob. The only reason they played for Sturt

Ummm, you admit they played for Sturt - from memory they played all their juniors there. How on earth can they not claim them then?

Who cares WHY they played there, they did. Fact.
Would they have played for Eastern if they had juniors back then? Who knows...

Reply #93862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is no way my girlfriend can claim she's with me. the only reason i'm with her is because jennifer hawkins wasn't legal when i was last single?

nice try bozo.

Reply #93863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice Post

Reply #93864 | Report this post

Years ago

Hey Cry Cry Cry....love your coments...you have been watching Norwood under 16 coach correct...another product of having no idea, been in the game too long...tired and should leave the game for good.

Reply #93883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #93859

Actually Eastern have been involved io the junior competition for a number of years. During which time both Brad and Jacob could have gone to play for them. The question is would either have become as good as they are if they had of played for Eastern rather than Sturt.

When Jacob oved to Eastern he refused to play State Champs in U/20's for them becasue he considered himself a Sturt Junior.

Reply #93888 | Report this post

cry cry cry  
Years ago

Reply,

Not sure how you made that link, the coach you mention is a very good coach who generally gets the most out of his teams.

Reply #93897 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Just a technicality but I think Scott Palmer came from Mildura didn't he???
Ahhh good speech, good on the girls, it's well deserved.
But I must admitt, it's a contrasting statement considering Forestville won the mens...home grown...ha ha ha ha, who says you can't buy a championship!

Reply #93900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Panther,

Scott Palmer played for Sturt before he and his wife moved up to the Riverland and played for Mildura.

Reply #93904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares if a team is full of their own juniors or not...pretty sure the people that play in them don't give a crap who played where as a junior. Winning championships is about playing as a team...you can't buy team chemistry! But i guess I can't expect you to know too much about winning or team chemistry Panther can I?

Reply #93936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sutton - Eagle
Gange - Eagle
Dix - Eagle
Hoban - Eagle
Dougie - Eagle
Haydon - Eagle
Campbell - Eagle
Smith - Eagle
Decure - Eagle
Arnold - Norwood
Wood - Hawkes
Sullivan - North

All these 'Eagles' were Forestville juniors. Campbell started at Tigers but still played some juniors with the Eagles'

9/12 premiship players are product of the eagles juniors.

Hope you enjoyed the game Panther....

not only didn't the Eagles 'buy' a championship they probably had enough money left over to pay your admission in to watch them play on Saturday night...

Enjoy wondering what it would be like....

Reply #93957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#93762)

You say that Sturt are so good because they look after their juniors...whatever! I'd like to see how many juniors have actually left there over the last 5 or so years. There is so many it is ridiculous! Their senior teams might be strong at the moment but they've got absolutely nothing coming through from the junior ranks.

(#93733)

Gower is always a joke...and as Steve Carfino once said - "Great combover".

Reply #94037 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Obviously you haven't been around very long you little coward, oops I mean "anonymous" otherwise you would realise that I wouldn't have to "wonder" what it would be like to win a championship!
And also with Forestville's salary cap (what cap!) I think they could've paid for everyone to come and watch, we would've just had to work 10 minutes in the bar for them though!!!!

Reply #94038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #93957

Nice try.

Gange Mildura junior
Dix Norwood junior
Cambell Southern junior
Decure South junior

TO go with

Sullivan North junior
Arnold Norwood junior
Wood Hawkes junior

All of the above players played a majority of their juniors for other clubs. Sturts womens had every player start and finish their juniors at Sturt. In their mens, other than Ng and Gower, all the other players have never played for another club.

You can hardly say that becasue Brenton Cambell played 1 yeqr of U/20's at Forestville that he is a Forestville junior. That is rediculii.

And anon #93762. If they didn't leave they would only be able to take the position of a current junior. So what is your point.

Plus at this years State Champs they won 6 out of 10 Championships including the 12, 14, 16 and 18 Boys, as well as having 24 juniors make State teams. Can you name another club with that sort of success at junior level. Your comments are just plain nonsensical.

Reply #94043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#94037,

I can't let that one slide, you are clearly on drugs!

There is only one ABA side and until you can enter more than one (sarcasm) you will always lose players to other programs if you produce good players every year.

Even so, come back with a list of players who have left for other ABA programs since say 2001. It wouldn't be a long one as we have been in a flat spot at our older juniors since Todd Smyth, Nathan Vaughan's group. This 3 year flat spot was why in 1999 we completely revamped our junior program, and the results of this you see today.

These results being that we just won 12,14,16,18 boys state titles, no juniors coming through, huh! If anything we will struggle in years to come to fit them all in, and some will have to leave.

Go have a lie down and come back when you want to contribute something worthwhile.

Reply #94047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In their mens, other than Ng and Gower, all the other players have never played for another club."

Hello! Ng didn't just play for Sturt he carried them all year!
No Ng - no Sturt finals.

Put your senior players from Sturt Juniors up against senior players from F'Ville juniors and another hiding you would get!!

Reply #94107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at the list above.

All Forestville would have is

Sutton
Dougie
Hayden
Smith
and Hoban???

and you want to match them against

Maher
Foreman
Dodman
Shepherd
Hakendorf
Palmer
Smyth
Vaughan
Paget

Keep the dream alive. But remember, it is easier to lie to yourself than it is to others.

Reply #94110 | Report this post

Soarer  
Years ago

If you're all going to be so pedantic about where players have come from and who were they juniors for, let's look at where they first picked up a basketball to gauge who is truly responsible for their greatness today.

Sutton - Age 2, living room, next to the TV
Gange - Age 4, next door neighbour's back yard, before game of cricket
Dix - Age 5, primary school, recess
Hoban - Age 3, brothers bedroom, after dinner
Dougie - Age 10, someone threw it at him, been aggressive around a ball ever since
Haydon - Age 4, on holiday at Victor Harbour, on the beach
Sullivan - Womb, came out shooting and passing

See, no-one can claim these players as "theirs"....

Reply #94111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soarer,

Spoken like a true recruiter. Some clubs are actually proud of the fact that they develop talent rather than recruit for Championships at the expense of their juniors. I am sure that you are one of the later.

Reply #94115 | Report this post

Soarer  
Years ago

And some clubs are just lucky talented juniors fall in their laps and they're able to "develop" them. Some great players had rubbish coaches their whole lives and some rubbish players had the greatest coaches. Luck of the draw more often than not.

Championships beget champions. Maybe winning senior championships attracts the best coaches, hence, best juniors to clubs? I think it's a good short term strategy to ensure a long term goal.

So ABL clubs without strong juniors in the last 10 years should just sit back and watch their senior teams get flogged every week? No decent junior wants to play for a club with weak seniors. So weak seniors begets weak juniors, so problem perpetuates itself.

But I guess this way, Sturt can stay on top forever and ever and we can all be happy about it.

Reply #94120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually find it funny that the 2 years Forestville haven't gone and bought players of the ilk of Pero, Reesy, Mottram, Big Willie etc. are the years they have won championships with actual TEAMS.
I for one, am grateful they haven't because they would/should have won another 3 or 4 in the last decade.
Will they learn? History says no, but hey who knows.

Reply #94126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gange Mildura junior
Dix Norwood junior
Cambell Southern junior
Decure South junior

Sure these guys played some time at these clubs, however they all ended their junior days at the Eagles.

I am not sure there is any time requirement before you can be called a club junior.

You can hardly say that becasue Brenton Cambell only played 1 year of U/20's at Forestville that he is not a Forestville junior. That is rediculii! Just ask him...

Reply #94141 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Bloody hell this goes on forever. Back to the real topic which is the "hottest Bowley sister" thread? No one cares about this crap! This has got out of hand.

Reply #94169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther stop talking rubbish. Forestville actually have plenty of room left in their cap because they made sure that they had enough to recruit an NBL player or an import for a half a season if they could/needed to. As you can tell, they didn't need to and therefore have a fair bit left over. They only pay half of their players, so how could they be over the cap?

Now looking at who wasn't a junior, Sullivan, yes came over because he needed a change. Just ask him, North were paying him more / game than the eagles are. Cambell, wasn't getting any minutes at the Tigers, was smart enough to see that at the time Forestville had Breeding, Simons and Groeke all soon to retire so HE approached Shaun Ryan to play for the eagles. He also received no money this year for playing(i no you are not going to beleive this but it is true). Arnold, left Norwood because he wasn't enjoying it there. Wasn't playing well and a couple of his best mates wern't playing on either so Forestville snapped him up, luring him not with money, but the chance to play in another Championship...the one thing that drives people of his experience and age to keep playing!

Gange and Wood wern't recruited, they both approached Forestville. Both heard about Forestvilles good reputation, were looking to come to Adelaide to play ball, and chose Forestville. Wood also tried out at Woodville, but enjoyed the atmosphere out at the eagles trainings more.

Saying Dix and DeCure we not Forestville juniors is rubbish. They both played the majority of their juniors at Forestville therefore are Forestville. Ha, try telling Dix that he wasn't a Forestville product and see what response you get.

Sure I agree, that you could argue that when Forestville had both Pero and Rees that year, that they were 'buying' a championship. You could also argue that they just used the money spent on Dix (who got injured that year)and used it on these guys as a one year quick fix. Obviously it didn't work out for them and wasn't worth it. However, you cannot say that they have bought a championship this year. None of these guys are playing for Foresville for money. Sure its nice to get a little to cover expenses etc, but the money involved is not great enough for someone like Arnold, and Sullivan, Hoban, whoever to just play for money. They all enjoy playing for the eagles, they all enjoy the fact that year in year out they get the chance to play finals, and they all enjoy being around each other which is quite obvious(Stag). Have a look at how deep this team is. You got guys like Wood, Hayden,Gange, Cambell, all could get alot more minutes at other teams and would actually get paid at other teams. The chance to play on a successful team is what it is all about, with your mates and winning games of basketball. These guys sacrifice a bit of their own court time, money, ego, for team success...the ultimate prize!

And anyway, who gives a crap...Forstville are the 2006 Champions, and no one can ever take that away from them, and thats all they care about!

Reply #94185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, did you see how many Forestville juniors were there at the grand final...heaps. Do you think they care where their heros come from,...no way.

Reply #94186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find both Maher and Paget began their junior careers at South Adelaide.

Dodman was recruited as a Under 14 so I guess Quorn could claim credit for starting his basketball career.

He had played SAPSASA State Basketball before Sturt grabbed him.

Reply #94188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure that buying a good senior team paves the way for juniors. Just ask Centrals. All they have to show for their improvement in Seniors was the opportunity to be in future trouble.

Look at the $80K debt they created and see if they have had an increase in juniors. And top notch quality juniors at that.

Or maybe try Eastern. Their Championship season has lead to a decrease in teams this year down to 14 total. Sure they won the ABA Championship, but to do it their juniors pay higher fee's than any other club.

Soarer

To say that clubs are lucky to have good players drop into their lap is laughable. Which club won the Overall State Championship? I would suggest it is the only club that has somebody devoted full-time to juniors. The same club which has the largest Aussie Hoops program, that runs school clincs and camps, the same club which is involved in a domestic competition.

Having a 1 off good year is something totally different from having a continual level of success. And remember this year Sturt had greater success than all the Melbourne teams at the Classics, but I guess that was just luck!

Reply #94192 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

well i think that they all started with Adam at the Forbidden garden - what a load of garbage who gives a toss - forestville won forestville rock and forestville are the champs everybody get over it eagles fly higher

Reply #94298 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

sullivan gets more at forrestville than he did at north so whoever stated the opposite you are wrong. also whoever said that only pay half their players you are right on that one, in saying that though the bar profits do help alot with payment of players...cash, cash, cash!!

anyway who cares if they do pay their players good money or recruit, anything to win a champioship i say..do what ya gotta do. im sure as players we'd all like to be in their shoes right now.

and yes maher did start at south but sturt will always claim him..

brigid the hottest bowley too..oops wrong thread!

Reply #94429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure where it fits into everyones arguements but I believe Maher played 1 season of Under 10's at South (possibly 2) before moving to Sturt.

Reply #94443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754