Anonymous
Years ago

AUS vs USA *spoiler*

I guess you can say it was an experience for the AUS team. They lost 113-73

Topic #8410 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Some stats from the game.

Melo went for 20 points, whilst JJ chucked in 18 points. Bosh had 12 points and 9 rebounds. US were good from the floor hit 53.6%, including 51.9% from the land of three.

For the Aussies, Bogut had 20 and 6, Newley put in 15 and no other players had more than 8 points. The Aussies shot 40.6% from the floor, and only 24% from 3. 6 from 25 is pathetic.

Once again, I'll ask the question. WHY SO MANY DAMN THREE'S??? Bogut hit 6/14, scored 20 points, and the team took 25 threes. Someone is directing the team not to go to it's No 1 player....

Smith hit 0 from 5 (go kings!!!), whilst Newley hit 3 from 7 for behind the arc.

Reply #93760 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Just look at how many 3's the Kings take in a game to find that answer.

Reply #93763 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I just had a phone call from a work colleague in the states.

His first question was "who is that *$%(wit coach??" Imagine that in an American accent. I couldn't give him a constructive answer, but mumble something like "a tosser called Goorj".

Second question was "what's the go with the three ball. Hit nothing and they they still chuck it up"

Definated Smith as nothing but a chucker (hard not to agree).

Worst ever offensive set in the history of international basketball. Pathetic and shite were used numerous times. Wonder who designed the offensive sets???

Bogut was killing them and the Aussie's persisted with that stupid 3 point game. What's the go with that???

Reply #93767 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

TR but...but....but he's the best coach in Australia and he's won lots of championships and its not his fault the players which he picked and plays arent up to international standard and there is noone in the world who could do a better job. Did I mention he's won lots of championships?

Reply #93778 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

Big deal about how many NBL championships he has won... Get Phil back on the bench instead of BG... at least Phil knows how to coach a Boomers team.

Reply #93785 | Report this post

Bronte  
Years ago

Bad coach. Why?
Most time given to three players in the entire competition with almost the most turnovers. (CJB, BN & AB)

Hardly any time given to the two almost best top 3 point shooters in the entire competition.

Reverse this and we could have fluked a win. Simple as that. I think Aus are statistically challenged.

Reply #93786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let me get this right we cant finish any higher than 9th???

Reply #93788 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

M dizzle he is not the best coach in aus to coach the boomers just cos he won a couple of champs doesn't mean he's the best to coach aus.

'its not his fault the players which he picked and plays arent up to international standard'

who's damn fault is it.

'there is noone in the 'world' who could do a better job'

i can think of plenty of people who could do a better job in australia let alone in the world.

so stop pickin ya nose and start thinkin about what ya post on here

Reply #93790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

M Dizzle was joking around I believe. Making a joke of it and repeating the explanations people get when asking pro-goorj lovers.

Reply #93793 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

AK, Dizzle is typing that with a big silly grin on his face laughing his ar$e off. It's all tongue in cheek. He knows my pain on this subject.

I'm just waiting for all the people with a Goorj blow-up doll under their bed to start proclaiming that us loosing by 40 points is a sign off good things to come, Barlow and Kendall are the second coming of Lebron and Wade and that Goorj will be able to walk home after parting the water between here and Japan, just because we made the second round (2-4 is a shite record), and doesn't deserve a mention.

John, sorry but Phil isn't the answer.

Thank god the WBC is nearly over, I can put this disappointment behind me and concentrate on the bobcats (Morrison for ROY. I should be use to losing, but at least they have a legit gameplan, structure and coach in place) and the 36ers.

Oh, just in case I forgot to type it early in this post. Goorj isn't good enough to coach at the international level.....

Reply #93795 | Report this post

bballa  
Years ago

I agree with 'Bronte'. What's with all the turnovers. You can't out fancy the USA. Play it safe with Barlow and Wothington on to shoot from outside the perimeter if Bogut fails get through. If they maintain their average (50%+) from the previous games Aus would have had a chance.
P.S. Newley is a disgrace.

Reply #93796 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I believe that the Australian team lacks something called a 'point guard', hence the turn over problem. They also lacked something called a shooting guard'.

Read a book called 'The Basketball Handbook' (Goorj are you reading this) By Lee Rose describes a point guard as a coach on the floor, who can handle and distribute the ball to teammates. CJ isn't a PG.

The same book also describes a shooting guard as 'a good shooting guard will often attract double-teams, shooting guards are frequently the team's back-up ballhandler to the point guard. Most shooting guards, however, focus primarily on scoring, allowing the point guard to worry about distributing the ball.' We lacked one of thingies as well.

We did have a pretty damn good Centre, but somehow we forgot about him.

Anyone got a definition of a coach????

Rule 1: Know your players strengths and weaknesses

Rule 2: Understand that the NBL and International ball are completely different

Rule 3: Learn how to count time outs

Rule 4: If you have a dominant centre, do not constantly chuck up three's.

Rule 5: Exception to Rule 4. Must have a shooter (two is better) that can hit over 45% of three's then the 3-ball is a plausible game plan (within reason).

Rule 6: Understand that the Sydney Kings are not the Australian Boomers.

Reply #93800 | Report this post

bballa  
Years ago

Well said TR. I totally agree. So do the Stats if you look at the leaderboards of individual performance throughout the competition for all international competitors.

BEST (worst) TURNOVERERS per min:
BN, CJB, AB

BEST 3 point %:
MW, DB

Reply #93804 | Report this post

h  
Years ago

we were well and truly undermanned, i just hope we have better luck with injury before next olympics.... then we may medal.

Reply #93808 | Report this post

So what are you people saying, that we would have won with Smyth as a coach? USA werent even trying and they won by 40. There is no way, even with no injuries and a better coach (I seem to remember Smyth not doing anything with the Boomers either) that we would ever beat the USA team

oh yeah, and 3/7 from the 3 is a great percentage. Most NBA players, hell, most basketball players strive for a 40% clip from the 3.

Reply #93810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could Smyth do anything with a team that had for like 3 months. Yes lost to NZ but he saw back then they Australia needed to start rebuilding and getting younger guys through the program. Instead of now 2-3 years later.

Oh and having most Sydney kings players isn't called rebuilding. (Sorry Goorj)

CJ is a waste on a spot. He brings nothing to the team. Except and really bad shooting %.

Reply #93812 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

oops...sorry M-dizzle

Reply #93814 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Just thought I'd get in with all the excuses before the boy-goorj posse came on here and blasted all of us with them. Don't worry I had a good laugh, no hard feelings.

Reply #93818 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Goorj can eat my......ill just cut it before it gets R rated. He is disgraceful

Reply #93819 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

One thing that you can't blame Goorj for is the decision to include CJ in the team for the world champs. It would have been one hell of a lot worse without him.

But it would be nice to develop at least one true pg before Beijing. Too bad D-Mac will be 43 and only averaging 20 ppg and 8 apg by then. Obviously not good enough to get a game.

Reply #93832 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

For the future of Australian point guards I hope the Bruce develops into a NBA talent, and that Patrick Mills is as good as people here in Canberra are saying.

Newley needs to develop (I wonder if he's now thinking maybe the college route would of been better, esp after Coach K's comments) along with Bogut, Luke and Anderson. We need to find a decent SG and a lock-down defender. We also need to find a real gunner or two. A real playbook would also improve things.

Hopefully by then we won't need CJ to run the point.

Reply #93840 | Report this post

Bazza  
Years ago

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa Waaaaa Waaaa I'm a teenage zit popping wannabe with NBA black nickname's ha ha. Get your OWN identity!!!Toss bags.

Australia played in the toughest conference of the WBC's and with a team missing four starters could've finished on top.

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa. Start up a thread about something you guys really know about your zits, the sock under your bed, being white but talking in an American accent, lollies.

Reply #93842 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Hey TR what did Coach K say about Newley?

Reply #93843 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Apparently during the press conference at the end he said that Newley is a good talent, but not not sure if he's a NBA talent.

Reply #93855 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Boy Goorj Is A Joke !!!
CJ was a good pick for us, and bailed us out in a couple of games, but would have been better off playing the 2 spot and slashing IMO. He is too turn over prone to run the point, D.Mac would have been a way better option, who gives a shit about his age if the guy has game ????
By the way, I typed this in an Aussie accent....

Reply #93867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the 3 point game plan could have worked if Worthington and Barlow were chucking from the outside. (check fiba stats) They needed to take a gamble of this sort to beat the USA. Not conventional but would've given us a chance.

Reply #93870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patrick Mills is not the answer at Point Guard if we are looking for a person to feed the ball. He is a scoring guard. I agree that D-Mac all though old would have been a good inclusion in the team, just for experience.

Reply #93894 | Report this post

boost  
Years ago

I agree with John Lawrence, who cares about how many championships people win, either as a coach, player, scorer, fan or even an announcer.. If you have a stacked team at local level it wont translate to a win on an international level.

BA needs to look at themselves.. Why they couldnt figure out the neilsen situation, and why he didnt realise that it may have been an issue before he signed the contract, i dont know.. The issues addressed above are also valid points.

Cattalini & holmes performances over the weekends show they probably shouldve been in the team..

Reply #93902 | Report this post

Rabbit  
Years ago

Despite AB being a scorer more than a leader, he still has the potential to offer more than CJ. His youth and inexperience aside, he has balls and is willing to have a go. CJ looked scared in the USA game.

Another thing is that despite AB's high turnover counts, most of those passes were good balls. It's that his teammates were either too crap or just weren't awake to his ability that saw them usually spilled out of court.

Perhaps not by Beijing, but in 4 years time I would like to see a Boomers team that looks something like:

Aaron Bruce
Andrew Bogut
Brad Newley
David Andersen
Matt Neilsen
Patrick Mills
Luke Schenscher

And with the remaining slots fought out between:

Daniel Kickert
Nathan Jawai
Aleks Maric
Alex Loughton
Ben Allen
Luke Nevill
Joe Ingles

I also believe that Basketball Australia should also provide the Australian based players more test series. They don't play nearly enough.

Reply #93903 | Report this post

Rabbit  
Years ago

Oh, add Worthington to that list.

Maybe Barlow, but to me he still seems iffy. As does Levin.

Reply #93905 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Is Ryan Kersten a serious potential for Beijing or nowhere near the mark?

Reply #93914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James Harvey should be in there... he may be 29 at the time and a bit old yto debut, but the fact is not many people in the league create there own shots like him. If hes still athletic then, put him in. Theres alot of talent to work with, we may be medal cointenders, we just must get more games against better opposition in the comming two years, have a better run wqith injury and start preps for 08 NOW>

Im not sure who will be our backcourt for the olympic qualifiers. No bogut.... im not sure bout Neilson and ANderson.... thank god, it should be a cakewalk against a retooling NZ team.

Reply #93917 | Report this post

KJ  
Years ago

most of you have enough excuses to last a life time!!!

get over it!! we got owned in every avenue of Basketball last night! The US made us look like little kids in the land of giants... I dont think i recall any of the US players breaking sweat...

Anyway, Im proud of the boys and Goorj!!! Even though we didnt come home with any medals... I think we did pretty good considering our league lacks the budget, social consideration, and of course the talent compared to the other nations. Nice one lads!!

Reply #93920 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

So you bag people for making excuses but go on to say we did well considering blah blah blah.

Hello kettle, I'm pot, I think you're black.

Reply #93925 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

gold!

Reply #93943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

without CJ Australia would of struggled big time in every game. Did people actually watch the games...whenever he was on the bench we couldn't score. Patrick Mills can easily play the role of a true point guard if he needs to. He scores because his teammates need him too.

Reply #93948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan Kersten is the next true point guard for the oz team. He gets everyone on his team involved and knows how to win.

Reply #93978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754