Dana
Years ago

Foxsports Basketball Commentary

Maybe we can start a petition to Foxtel??
With the demise of Fox Footy Channel, do you think Clinton Brybas mght be ready for a bsketball commentary gig?
I am getting very weary of Steve Carfino's 'I love Sydney and Brian is my hero' comments. Even during the WBC. 'Toughest pool in WC's, done well, etc. etc.'
Would they have been making the same comments with a different coach? I doubt it!
At least in the old FTA days, you could enjoy a Clinton Grybas game commentary. Hell, even between him and Michelle Timms doing the womens' NBL games, it was fun to listen to. Not 'painful' like some of what we are hearing now.
We want Clinton!!
(Of course being of Lithuanian descent, he has a natural affinity for basketball.) ;)

Topic #8416 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious? Carfino is awesome! No way would i want Clinton instead of Steve!

Reply #93928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont dislike either, but i agree having the same 2 all year gets tiresome..

Including Clinton, Gaze, Heal, etc... id prefer that.

Reply #93929 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Yes I AM serious!

Reply #93931 | Report this post

brick city  
Years ago

Are you serious Carfino is terrible.

Reply #93932 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Leave Carfino to host extra stuff like NBL Wrap etc, but new blood in the comentry would be most welcome.

Reply #93933 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Just get rid of steve's partner in crime. Man that guy is so annoying. He needs to come up with some new material instead of the same "user friendly roll" etc.

Reply #93937 | Report this post

stingray  
Years ago

Does a lap of honour! Cassey is hell annoying, Cafino does talk a bit of crap too. He has a good comment to every 3 stupid ones he says. Need some new blood, an ex player from the last 10 years would be good, bit stale by 1/2 way of the season.

Reply #93945 | Report this post

nbl news  
Years ago

Grybas would be awesome to have commentating the NBL but sadly will never happen (or in the next 5 years atleast)

Reply #93949 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

if i hear the phrase "getting the job done" one more time i think i will hurt someone!

Reply #93952 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Nah... what about 'Measuring the 3'

Reply #93962 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

John Casey would be one of the most knowledgable sports commentators going around, and the stats he can pull off the top of his head is amazing (I have seen him do it in the flesh!)

Casey and Grybas would be great, with Gaze as a colour man. Carfino just smacks lately of too try hard, and so Sydney / Wollongong-centric it is painful to listen to.

Denis Cometti will be looking for something to do after the AFL season finishes, as the talk says either he doesn't want to return to 7, or they don't want him (I think he burned some pretty big bridges when he left originally). Cometti has proven to be a pretty good basketball commentator.

Reply #93983 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where have we recently heard Cometti commentate basketball? Was it the Commonwealth Games? I remember being surprised that he knew at least a token amount about the sport - didn't really embarrass himself.

Who else has given it a shot? Gaze, Heal, Rucker? Heal probably the better of those three from memory?

Reply #93991 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Grybas was an excellent commentator when the NBL was on the ABC a few years back, so I'd love to see him back in the chair.

Another overused Casey term - "Two pieces of the iron"

Reply #93999 | Report this post

OGB  
Years ago

I am really sick of North American accents (and 'put on' N.A. accents by some court announcers)in Australian basketball. If that is racist then so be it!

Reply #94011 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I like Grybas as a caller too. I also liked his work on that Sunday morning show with AJ which was surprisingly addictive viewing.

As it turns out, he - and everyone else involved with Fox Footy - may be out of a job come the end of this season: link.

I have a funny feeling that Cometti has called hoops for ages and really knows his gear. I'm sure he used to do Wildcat home games back in the late 80s/early 90s when Adelaide used to get all of its home games plus some away games broadcast late at night (sigh - those were the days). I think he also used to call basketball at the Olympics when he was a Channel Seven employee.

Reply #94013 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Correct Bo, I have some olympic games on tape that he does the call for. He is knowledgeable on the game and good to listen to.. Maybe Gaze as his offsider?

Reply #94028 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

the Hottest Bowley sister

Reply #94063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis has already stated he hates all the travelling leaving Perth for the footy,so he wouldnt cope with the bball.

Reply #94070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754