Tight
Years ago

Bodysuits - Yes or No?

A lot of discussion about the Opals in particular wearing the body suits! I am sure the girls don't like them and that they'd rather play in fitted shorts and singlets!

In the past there has been a number of personal problems eg- eating disorders and self esteem issues.

I say get rid of them and let the girls be comfortable!!

C'Mon B.A do the OPALS girls a favour!! Just ask Lauren and see if she would like to see them go!!

Topic #8448 | Report this topic

Randy Watson  
Years ago

The body suits were obviously the brain child of a guy to lift the profile of women's basketball...and I think it worked.

However...I'm sure the girls would prefer the shorts and jerseys. After all it's about the game not the look.

Reply #94341 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I agree, get rid of bodysuits, sure most of the Opals girls look good in them, but think of merchandising, much easier to sell a Lauren Jackson or Erin Phillips singlet than a bodysuit.

And I think merchandising and promoting the game should be at the forefront of BA's agenda at the moment.

Reply #94349 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It's been discussed on here plenty of times before. Read what Boddie Sewt wrote. Probably sums up the female attitude, which is the most important in this debate imo.

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/3671/#42806

Reply #94355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If one of the arguments against bodysuits is that they are uncomfortable for the girls to wear then you better not be caught dead in wearing skins underneath your uniform...they are exactly the same and even most guys in the aba / nbl are wearing them now...maybe its a fashion thing? maybe its to keep your muscles warm? whatever the reason - they are just as tight and constrictive (if so) as bodysuits!

Reply #94359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No NO!! obviously Annoy (#94359)you are a guy or a chick that has never worn a bodysuit!! You have NO IDEA! They are completely different to wearing skins!! Any anyway..Do you wear skins... if so.. how would you like to run out of the court and play an entire game in just your skins? Having a uniform on top is cleary more comfortable in terms of not running around half naked in a bather-like suit to play basketabll.. skins and body suits also diff with the materials used. Skins are thin and very flexible however bodysuits are thick and just plain disgusting.. not to mention the leg rising up your crutch every 2 seconds (camel toe... hmm great look & even better feel NOT) and not having shorts over the top to cover this up is rather humiliating for women! And its got nothing to do with the way you wear them.. its more often than not, unavoidable! Bodysuits are possibly the most uncomfortable uniform to play sport in, espcially when body image is such an issue within today's society! Everyone other country wears the traditions shorts and singlet.. why does Australia have to put up with the crap that comes with wearing a body suit!

Reply #94397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO and experience body suits are VERY comfortable not to mention convenient! Since going back to shorts and singlets this past season I lost count at how many times I had by singlet held onto when making a cut through the key, not to mention the number of times the ref's said to take the stupid thing in.

Each person is different in what they find comfortable to play in but personally I would prefer to still be in the body suits!

Reply #94416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I am a girl and yes I have had to play in bodysuits back when I played at Norwood - only problem there was we did have to wear shorts on top and it absolutely sucked because the shorts would be constantly riding up and that is what was giving us wedgies...not the bodysuits! The bodysuits are extremely comfortable and are a lot easy to run around in compared to huge baggy uniforms.

In a sport that is dominated by males and where females are often seen as "masculine" either because of the way our bodies are toned or the way we play, I actually like putting on a bodysuit because it makes you feel like a female...something we should be proud of and something we should encourage in a sport that can be extremely competitive and is often won by being phsyical not just skillful. And dont get me wrong I am all for playing a physical game... its just nice to be able to still feel like a chick, even though we may not play like one!

Reply #94426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

90% of female bball'ers that wear body suits end up looking more masculine wearing a body suit as opposed to shorts and singlet.. If you don't want to look masculine competeing in a sport then take up synchronized swimming.. not only will you get to wear body/swim suits.. you will also get to have sequins AND diamente's on them!

Reply #94436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have you seen sturt women? not one girl in that team looks masculine!

Reply #94440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Immature to meantion names and turn this into a humiliation session instead of an opinion forum..

Reply #94444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i believe that the bodysuit was designed by Robyn Maher, and yes it was for a "get more bums in seats" approch.

I didn't have a problem wearing them (aslong as they were made by the right company) but agree that the international WOW factor had worn thin, it was good the 1st, the 2nd and maybe the 3rd olympics...but now, not so sure!!!

Come on BA lets make some much needed support and $$$ for our female athletes, go back to the ever faithful (not USA style) shorts and singlets, and sell them!

Reply #94470 | Report this post

Go the body paint uniform

Nothing to ride up u know where,
Nothing to remove when toileting at half time,
No need to take a massive sports bag to the game,
Who cares about headlights... everyone will have them,
and Nothing to grab on a cut- hmmmm!

And Finally, if the game is a 20 point spread (Hmmm - sorry, wrong choice of wording) and a slug fest, then just add mudd or honey!!

BUMS ON SEATS!

Your right everyone - get rid of the bodysuits!!! Ha ha ha!!

Reply #94475 | Report this post

No Idea  
Years ago

Obviously the wow factor is still going to be there evn if people have seen them before it still distiguses us from the rest.

I wonder if the same arguments are are being had in Netball, Hockey, Athletics and even Beach Volleyball i mean how do you think those chicks must feel being broadcast arcoss the world in tight bikinis!!!!

Reply #94559 | Report this post

Newy  
Years ago

#94440 I totally agree with you. I've just seen the Sturt girls play in Newcastle at the Nationals and there is certainly no way they look masculine....they are fit girls who look great in the bodysuits. I'm not sure what the girls think about playing in them but they looked more professional and feminine than the baggy oversized uniforms that all the other womens teams were wearing. If wearing bodysuits hasn't resulted in increased attendances then surely it must come down to a comfort factor and personal preference of the players.

Reply #94602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754