wackawackawoo
Years ago

Greece vs. USA

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20329098-23769,00.html

(Mod: The game is still being replayed on television. Have some consideration and don't post results in topic titles in future please.)

Topic #8465 | Report this topic

i watched the greek guys the other day v France - they were kick ass good.

how close were we then !

it is clear the euroleague players are right up with the NBA players now

that big dark greek guy is as big as Shaq - very much in the same mould

Reply #94551 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Bloody hell!!! I thought either Spain or the Argies would have a had a good chance but I'm surprised Greece knocked them off 101-95. Seems like it was reasonably comprehensive too, up 77-65 and 3qtr time with the US only getting within 4 towards the end. And we had Greece on toast.

Reply #94553 | Report this post

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/sophoclesschortsianitis.htm

the man

Reply #94555 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

That was one incredible game - you won't see many games played at a higher level than that. The Greeks were playing flawess offence for a good part of the 3rd quarter. Is there a Greek player than cannot shoot the three? Unbelievable game.
Did you see it Billo?

Oh, and gary ayers I wouldn't put Schortsianitis in quite the same category as Shaq. He is referred to as 'baby shaq' but is not as tall and didn't look to be as athletic. Having said that he was absolutely awesome in getting the Greeks back into the game, creating the spurt that the Americans couldn't recover from. Did I hear the commentator say that he has been drafted by the Clippers or was that someone else?

Reply #94568 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Hey Rat10, haven't seen you round these parts for a while, how goes it? I didn't see any of the game unfortunately, there's zero World Champs coverage over here, I resorted to tracking the play by play comments on the horrendous Fiba site (although that part of the site is actually pretty good to be fair).

I might track and track a torrent of the game down if I can, watch it that way. I take it your planned trip to Japan never came to fruition?

Reply #94573 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Hey Billo, spend more time on Ozhoops than here. My stupid CA kinda interfered with my plans to go to Japan - have to do a supp in a few weeks :(

If i could have gotten tickets to see that game last night then the trip would have been worth it alone. It was probably the best international game i have ever seen, along with the USA - Lithuanian game in Athens where Jasikevicius went nuts in the fourth quarter to beat the US.

But it's also a long way to go to see a half-strength Boomers team play as well.

Heard you're in London now earning kaszillion dollars there.

Reply #94585 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I was there (in Saitama Super) Arena for both games - and the atmosphere was awesome - could not belive my luck, two GREAT Semis on the one night... The celebrity obsessed majority of the Japanese crowd were stunned at the fact that the Greeks could actually play basketball (since well... they weren't famous and therefore useless - or so the thinking goes)... I for one never thought i would cheer my lungs out for any Greek Team - but these guys earned it - but there you go - hopefully team USA will work out that cobbling a team together in 2-3 months and expecting them to beaqt outfits that have played together upwards of 5 years is an excercise in futility...

Reply #94654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754