Isaac
Years ago

NH: Croc Hunter Steve Irwin dead

Believed killed by a sting ray barb through the chest while filming an underwater doco.

News.com.au story

Topic #8485 | Report this topic

Hangin Round  
Years ago

CRIKEY! I was hoping there was a punch-line to this headline, but obviously not. Love or hate him, he certainly had a passion for animals and increased awareness.

Reply #94736 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Gotta love the speed of the Internet: his Wikipedia entry has already been updated.

Reply #94737 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im in shock.
Agree with Hangin Round. He was an icon escpecially for Queensland and has done so much for Australian Tourism.

Reply #94740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did this get caught on tape or camera? I'm curious to see

Reply #94743 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

His wife apparently doesn't know yet, she's tracking up in Cradle Mountain, Tasmania.

Reply #94746 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

This is so sad. He died doing what he loves the most in his amazing and interesting life. He described himself as a 'Wild Life Warrior', but he was so much more.

Reply #94755 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

From reports the stingrays barb speared him in the heart...

Reply #94767 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

RIP Steve Irwin

Reply #94782 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cardiac injuries from stingray barbs are rare, even worldwide, and all but one have been fatal. We report a survivor of a cardiac injury caused by a stingray barb.
Not everyone would know it, but one of the world's most popular websites is Slashdot.org, and the news of Irwin's death is currently the top story. First Big Kev, and now Steve Irwin.

Reply #94785 | Report this post

Bo, do you realise how quickly everything gets updated on Wikipedia? After Miami won the ship this year, i practically sprinted to my computer, lo and behold it was already updated. People must live on there

Reply #94790 | Report this post

you should see websites that honour a 'points' system to people who update, it's scary what people will do for intarnet p0ints

Reply #94792 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

They had footage of it on Channel 7. A helicopter was above the water where he was filming, and you see a big stingray suddenly swoosh in the water with its tail and then keep on swimming.

It's a very sad loss for Australian culture, although asthe 7 news reporter said it's quite ironic given that the Stingray is one of the more placid animals that he has worked with.

Reply #94795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of wikedpedia. For about 5 minutes today the following was visible on steve irwins page. I paraphrase for the G Rating of this site.

FU*&ING STINGRAYS.

Reply #94798 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Steve Irwin, a complete legend. Hes probably razzin up animals in heaven.

Reply #94800 | Report this post

hoops regular  
Years ago

i am still in compelte and utter shock. i feel for his babies and his wife. its a tradegy but all good die young.. look at james dean

take care steve xoxoxoxo (K)

Reply #94806 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

A sad day indeed.

RIP Steve

Reply #94812 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Steve was an absolute legend, and hoops regular said it all when he said he feels sorry for his children.

Reply #94822 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I quite frankly thought he was a bit of a goose and embarrassed australians overseas. But on the other hand he did so much for tourism and for wildlife in australia and it hurt me deep to here that F**KIN knob on triple M tonight bagging him. Who bags someone after they just passed away. Then the guy dared to complain he was getting death threats. Its people like that that deserve to die not poor Steve Irwin.

Reply #94827 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

As Aussie as Paul Hogan, if not more so. An absolute tragedy.

My younger brother had an eagle ray barb through his calf once. He was in a bad way for about three months. Steve never stood a chance.

Reply #94830 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I heard they will be playing "a little ray of sunshine" at the funeral.....

Reply #94884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow, your really funny, it must be really hard coming up with humour that good! you tool!

Reply #94890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love u steve wish it was a wanka that died i think that the person that is hurt will be his daughter

Reply #94914 | Report this post

B30S  
Years ago

Its a really sad day for australia. steve irwin was a great australian icon and did not deserve to go out the way he did, he will b missed greatly by every1, o and might i add every1 that disses him u have no soul and u should of been the ones who died not poor steve
R.I.P STEVE

Reply #94946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754