Isaac
Years ago

Adelaide All-Star Game confirmed

To be held by the league rather than the club, and no mention of a three-point comp.

Hopefully they come to their senses and add it. Drag out the program to make a day of the event for local fans, and broadcast selected highlights via Fox.

Here's the press release:

5 September 2006

ADELAIDE TO HOST NBL ALL-STAR GAME

The National Basketball League (NBL) has announced that Adelaide will be the venue for the Philips Championship's annual showcase event, the 2006/07 NBL All-Star Game, and the Philips Slam Dunk Competition.

The 2006 NBL All-Star Game will be played at The Dome, home of the Adelaide 36ers, on Saturday November 25.

It will mark the first time since 1995 that the NBL All-Star Game has been held in Adelaide.

NBL Commissioner Rick Burton said the move to bring the game back to Adelaide should help ensure the continued resurgence of basketball in South Australia.

"Adelaide has always been one of our strongest markets and we are therefore delighted to announce that the City of Churches will see the best of the best from around the Philips Championship in action at the Dome for the NBL All-Star Game," said Burton.

"With the 36ers having gone through some important changes in recent months, we believe the return of the All-Star game to Adelaide is a strong vote of confidence by the NBL in this city's team and its fans. We hope that 25 November becomes a celebration of the continued resurgence of both the 36ers program and the NBL."

At the official announcement at the Dome, it was revealed that the League would host the event in 2006 rather than the 36ers club itself.

"Since re-introducing the All-Star Game to the Philips Championship calendar three years ago, the feedback we received from the three host cities was that event could benefit greatly by being staged by the League office rather than stretching the resources of our teams," Burton said. "We agreed with that assessment and were only too happy to have the All-Star Game evolve into a League-run event which is held in the venue of one of our teams."

Adelaide 36ers new owner Mal Hemmerling said having the All-Star Game at the Dome was an exciting prospect for South Australian basketball fans.

"Adelaide fans have always been acknowledged as some of the most knowledgeable and passionate in the League, so we are ecstatic that this avidity has been rewarded with the chance to see all the best players from around the Philips Championship in action on our own floor," said Hemmerling. "This is a great opportunity for SA basketball fans and the sports community. SA sports fans will actively support the event."

The NBL has also revealed that the Slam Dunk competition will return in 2006, with Philips as the naming rights sponsor of the popular contest. The Philips Slam Dunk Competition will see six of the NBL's high-fliers compete by invitation.

The popular game format of Australian All-Stars versus World All-Stars will be retained, with ten players to be selected to each side.

In a revamp of the selection process for the All-Star Game, a panel of NBL legends will select the two teams with fans then able to vote via the official NBL website (nbl.com.au powered by Sportal) to select the starters. The positions of teams on the Philips Championship ladder at the end of Round 8 will be used to determine which coaches will be given the honour of leading the All-Star teams.

The All-Star Game was successfully re-instituted by the NBL in 2004 in Melbourne and has gained momentum over the last three years after being hosted by Townsville and Sydney.
Make a note in your calendar!

Topic #8499 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Rather than the Aussies vs the World matchup, maybe Adelaide fans would be more likely to attend a Smyth vs Goorjian grudge matchup? Fill the teams of players who have played for one of the coaches, get Boti to promote it relentlessly as "good vs evil" type match - hell, even get Smyth and Goorjian to play so they can match up on each other and just go at it.

Potential teams:

Team Smyth

Mee
Maher
Cattalini
Farley
Rogers
Holmes
Rillie
Rychart
Jason Williams (hee hee!)
Smyth

Team Goorjian

Bruton
Smith
Anstey
Mackinnon
D-Mac
Heal
Drmic
Ronaldson
Goorjian

Reply #94883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Adelaide 36er ticketholders will get first preference to purchase their allocated seats for the game?

Reply #94885 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I wouldnt think so -

a) it is the All Star Game, nothing to do with your season ticket.

b) it is being run by the league not the club.

c) why should a 36ers season ticket holder get preference over any other bball fan for a non 36er game?

Reply #94886 | Report this post

What  
Years ago

Agreed with Dj and to Bo , the post about a smyth v gorg grudge match shows a lack of understanding for the All Star game.

It is nothing to do with Adelaide, Sydney, Smyth or Gorg!!!!

It is a All Star game and the Dome is hosting the event

I say bring it on!!!!
Can't wait to see the Dome full for this event.

Reply #94888 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

What - I think your post shows a lack of understanding for Humour....

Reply #94889 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Gold Bo.......

Reply #94891 | Report this post

What  
Years ago

Some would have thought it was funny but I get sick of hearing people refer everything to Smyth and Gorg!!!

The All Star Game is much more than Smyth and Boy George

Which players are a chance to make the team for the first time??

Holmes?

Reply #94892 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

"What" if you are not a regular on Hoops SA, read through some other Bo Hamburger posts, maybe you'll discover a sense of humour along the way.....

Reply #94894 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I can't wait for this game. I was at the last one held here and it was awesome. It's a shame Ray Borner is retired though. Who's going to be the one to miss a wide open dunk?

Reply #94899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Bo,

Speaking of J-Will - I hear he is making a comeback to ABL next year. I think a couple of clubs have spoken to him, including the Lions.

Reply #94901 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The only downside of the All-Star Game in Adelaide is that I don't see it living up to that of 1995?

No future forces, 3 point shoot out etc, like isaac said make it a full afternoon/evening event.

Reply #94906 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Sounds awesome, 1995 was a blast. I hope they consider adding something similar to the NBA's Skills Challenge, thats been good value the past few years.

Reply #94915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its on the same weekend as schoolies, theres goes alot of ticket sales. What a weekend to have it.

Reply #94920 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

How are players selected for this game?

Reply #94945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In a revamp of the selection process for the All-Star Game, a panel of NBL legends will select the two teams with fans then able to vote via the official NBL website (nbl.com.au powered by Sportal) to select the starters. The positions of teams on the Philips Championship ladder at the end of Round 8 will be used to determine which coaches will be given the honour of leading the All-Star teams"

so a panel will

Reply #94952 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

It's probably a bit early, but is there some way of finding out when tickets go on sale?

Reply #95161 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

perhaps email the NBL?

Reply #95162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have done that. Will post again once I hear back.

Reply #95166 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Just got an email from the NBL re ticket sales. It reads "at this stage an exact date has not been sset but it is expected to be
in early November".

Not too conclsive as yet. Stay tuned.

Reply #95791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754