Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Lithuania may not show for WC opener against Opals

Apparently Lithuania is in danger of not being able to front for the first game of the World Champs: link.

It seems like a comedy of errors:

- original flight is cancelled
- revised flight goes through different country and lands team in Brazil - but going through this different country required team to have had vaccinations they hadn't had
- access denied/bunfight erupts

However, FIBA is saying that the team has been given the OK to enter.

Should I get to Centrebet post-haste and see what odds I can get not only for Australia to win by exactly 20 but to correctly tip the final score?

Topic #8563 | Report this topic

Manute Bol  
Years ago

It's been all sorted Bo. Sudan Airlines are going to help the team out by offering an extra flight and 2 for 1 tickets.

Reply #95732 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

International forfeits are deemed scoreline of 2-nil not 20-nil ...

Reply #95734 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

OK - thanks for that.

In other women's basketball news (and moving WAY off-topic), Brynn Cameron will miss the entire college hoops season for the University of Southern California.

It's a kind of longish story, but she has fallen pregnant to pretty boy gridiron star Matt Leinart - who, a couple of months after conception, was spotted consorting with Paris Hilton. Charming.

Reply #95738 | Report this post

Gene Banks  
Years ago

Hey Manute,

Does Sudan Airlines cater for longer athletes? I assume you would have trouble fitting in a standard airline seat?

Reply #95741 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I swear Manute and Bo are the same people , people !!

Reply #95752 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Good conspiracy theory, Skyhook - but no dice, sorry.

This is for the simple reason that if Manute was a creation of mine, he'd be a lot funnier than his real "owner" gets him to be.

Reply #95761 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Gene - Sudan Airlines doesn't cater for people that have no game so you wouldn't be allowed on.

Skyhook - You're a tool.

Bo - That's a cheap shot but it's not as cheap as the hardwood sandwich that I'll be serving up to you the next time we meet on the court.

Reply #95765 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Going back to the topic at hand, Jan Stirling thinks the Lithuanians will make it after all:

As far as we're concerned they've got a charter flight, they're just waiting for the paper work and they'll be here tomorrow morning.

They're European-based players so they've often dealt with planes not arriving or delays, so I'm sure they'll be out to give us a tough game.

Reply #95778 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

If only there was an emoticon which could convey the "baa-ung" sound used to signify an incorrect answer on Family Feud: the Lithuanians were, in fact, a no-show.

I wonder how much sleep the Lithuanian team manager has had in the last 48 hours, or in fact, whether they've even still got a job. You'd think "getting team to games - particularly to kind-of important events like the world championships" would be one of their major KPIs.

Reply #95862 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754