ashman
Years ago

PA System

I am not sure if it is the PA system or the guys running it, I know it has been said that is the actual system but I have my doubts. I have had a bit of experience doing live sound, I am no expert the biggest thing I have done is a carols events of about 5,000 people so I have some knowledge. Feedback - that high pitched noise, everytime the 2nd court announcer stops talking the mic goes into feedback, to fix this I have observed they simple turn the channel fader down, NO!!! try and use the channel EQ controls to null the problem out, even better get an eq for the whole system. From what I could see the setup was a basic mixer, a computer and a wireless mic receiver, for greater control use a system eq and a compressor on both the court announcer mics.

Everything is so FLAT, why?? because there is no eq, the court announcers sound like they are talking through a sponge, hopefully these issues can be fixed some time soon. I know that the system is old but forget about the music (dont even get me started on the selection of music from wednesday night) its the actual voices that I am talking about. I am not sure if it is the same everywhere, but where I was sitting, near the front of the back section it was bad, in the eastern corner where a friend was sitting was bad, and in the middle of the southern stand where my dad was sitting it was bad.

Topic #857 | Report this topic

ShaneD  
Years ago

Its mumbly. It always has been. It sucks.

Needs some higher tone definition, badly.

I can't understand half of what the half-time guy says.. so I just switch off and think about boobies.

Mmmmmm

ShaneD

Reply #9328 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I generally switch off and think about chicken dishes!!!

Reply #9330 | Report this post

Music Man  
Years ago

Rest assured the guy running the PA is probably the most experienced person in SA to do it. He has done everything in every kind of set up you can imagine.

The issue seems to be with the shape of the stadium and also with the way the speakers are set or directed.

some areas of the stadium sound better than others purely because you are projecting a wave of sound from the speakers.

Because of the shape of the court, a rectangle, the waves hits different sections of the crowd at different times becuase of the central speaker location.

As you can hear it is not ideal but it is what we have.

There are eq's on the system, they are just not were you can see them.

Reply #9350 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

Quote:
Rest assured the guy running the PA is probably the most experienced person in SA to do it

Oh so Central Video (or whatever they are called these days) dont look after it anymore, they used to.

I understand what you are saying music man, but for years it was a lot better than it is now. Some new guys took over 2 or seasons ago and blew the crap out of the speakers the first week and it has never been the same since. Me thinks perhaps they were replaced with speakers from Tandy or Dick Smith.

Reply #9368 | Report this post

Music Man  
Years ago

You are correct but the speaker that blew up was a result of someone else's fiddling and not the tech crew.

Central Video are not involved anymore.

Nothing would please me more than a whole new set up complete with stadium black out and follow spot lights etc....as with everything though it comes down to money.

Reply #9372 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Hate to harp on the same old subject but surely this one isnt that expensive to implement.

That is lights out for player intro's (ie introducing them onto the court before warmup comences).

The lights take around 15-20 minutes to comeback to fully lit yeah?

So is it possibly they do the player intros with lights out and a nice big spotlight. then switch on have warmup's as the lights adjust to full (or is that to much on the players?) than have the anthem as normal etc etc.

Alternativley bite the bullet and replace the lights.

I am telling you that a great introduction can have the crowd pumping before the tip off, has people arriving earlier so as not to miss anything and obvioulsy the earlier people get there the less strain on the gates/last minute people, more food and bev's sold etc etc.

There is nothing better than lights out, a quick intro of the opposition (number and name) and than pump some music up and bring out the Sixers.

Have seen it done at a few diff stadiums (no-one in Aus does it every game that I know of).

They did it at the powerhouse for the globetrotters and way back for the all star game (although that was coupled with a laser light show).

Reply #9382 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I am not sure as to why this can not be done.

The last time i saw the dome "blacked out" was for a finals game against the magic.

The stadium was not blacked out at tall as there are many light around teh stadium on different circuits.

Maybe it would take the entire lighting of the place to be rewired as well or at least switchable in the same place otherwise you would need 6/7 staff at the different piots all with radio gear to turn the lights on and off simulataneously.

Reply #9386 | Report this post

employee  
Years ago

If the stadium was to be blacked out, by law, each step in the stands has to have a light on it (or be illuminated in some way) like at the movies, or like the entertainment centre has. that is why it hasnt happened. it has been tried & wanted to be done, but decking every step with lights is lots of money.

Reply #9463 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Have seen it done at the POWERHOUSE before :-)

They left the concourse lights on (ie where the food is) so it wasnt really darkness but still had good effect for the spotlight.

Did take a while for the main lights that light up the court to fire back up, they kinda go through a warmup where there is a bluey look to them for a while.

See your point about individual steps being lighted, but if you have ever being in the Dome whilst lights are out it isnt that dark that you cant see

Reply #9550 | Report this post

LemonJuiceinmyEye  
Years ago

Just for interest sake, i believe that the lights used at the Dome are not rated for quick off on change overs. Due to the extremly high operating temperatures that these lights have, the propensity for them to blow would increase many times over if they were treated in this way. Given that they cost [each] well and truly more then a season ticket, you can see why the blackouts do not happen. NOW. You can buy lights that do have the ability to be off on as would be required by the blackouts. But these are STUPIDLY expensive and we all know that the club aren't going to spring for those...

My Advice. Concentrate on the Boobies or chickens or whatever else you decide to look at.

PS: Bring back Central Video. Always a professional outfit.

Reply #9572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754