Isaac
Years ago

NBL bends rules for Singapore

But not that much.

Singaporean players are now able to play for the Slingers without using up an import position.

This concession is not available to other NBL teams.

Seems like a reasonable and logical decision, though it's generally considered that no current Singaporean player would be quite up to the standard.

Topic #8636 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

did u know that the players also pay half as much tax in singapore.

Reply #96706 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, also a good advantage for players earning above average amounts.

Reply #96707 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

its a thing, they need someone they can identify with more and get behind a "face" of the slingers if you will.

Reply #96722 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

But under that logic, Australian teams should not be able to use New Zealanders as unrestricted, if it is one way for one country, why should it be different for another?

Reply #96747 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

But I don't want unrestricted New Zealanders in my paddock. Baaaaad idea.

Reply #96748 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Do people know how expensive it is to live over there? Damn expensive.

I dont mind any concessions they receive as long as they can be competitive.

Reply #96786 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

The issue of better tax only relates to the money while it remains there.

If they bring any of it back to Aust they have to declare the tax paid in Singapore and they will then pay the difference (if any) on our normal tax scales.

So no issue at all unless they leave it all there.

Not sure its any more or less expensive though.

Reply #96811 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

If you live in the City and shop in the City of course it is a lot more expensive.
But if you live in the 'burbs and shop where the locals shop then you will find it is very affordable.

Reply #96813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard it costs 10g for a drivers licence, as they don't want cars in the built up areas. Hope their taxis are cheap!

Reply #96848 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Fiji Your talking rubish.

"The issue of better tax only relates to the money while it remains there"

If you are in the country more than 138 days earning money then you pay Singapore tax levels. Less than that and you will pay the Australian rate of tax as an expatriate.

The big issue is the cost of housing, if it comes under the salary cap if paid by the club. An average 3 bed appartment just off Orchard Road will cost from $3,000 (Aus) to $10,000 per month.

You can eat VERY cheaply at the local Hawker stalls ($7- Aus) a meal. They will never own a car over there MASSIVE costs and drivers liscence and REGO are absolute killers.

I now believe that salery cap rorting is rampant and the Player Points Syatem is a JOKE. Most teams have got around this and the NBL is aware of it (I believe).

Reply #97084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754