5 prem, 8 R/u

Reply #97598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who got best players for all those?

Reply #97604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting to see north with the most prems, good to see someone other than sturt taking the bacon

Reply #97605 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Umm West 20 men destroyed Norwood and claimed a well deserved three-peat!!!

Reply #97611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt only 1 girls prem - bit of a change - but that strong group comes together as top agers this upcoming season

Reply #97623 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Great to see the scores are up already. Well done BSA ( presume that is Paul).

Reply #97660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood got smashed in the 20s. sweeeeeet

Reply #97670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But 5 of Sturts Winners came from Div 1. As well as winning 2 div 2 grand finals with 7 runners up in the GF.

Where as North had only 3 GF winners in div 1 and 4 in div 2 with 3 runners up in the GF.

I would not say that North performed better. Just better in lower divisions.

Reply #97679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statistics; you can read what you want into them. Several comments:-

1. If the Sturt "system" is the model that everyone should be changing to then why the difference in performance between boys and girls? Is it a system or is it luck with the kids playing for the club or a bit of both?

2. I refer back to an earlier topic where an apparent parent of a Sturt u14 girl labelled the forestville team as chokers and unable to win the important games (I think the name was "To the Point") Can this criticism now be given to the Sturt club generally with them falling short in most of the GF's they contested? I think statistically forestville had a better win/loss ratio.

Reply #97690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that Sturts 'system' is actually about winning grand finals. More about developing players for the next level.

If we don't win another GF but conitnue to produce more State and National players then we will be happy.

Reply #97711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 97711
I quote from Sturt's objectives as published:
"CLUB OBJECTIVES

To main on-court success at all levels.

To maintain and expand a professional and efficient administrative base to support Sturt club members.

To establish the Pasadena Stadium as the physical, social and spiritual home of the Sturt Basketball Club."

Somehow what you are saying doesn't line up with the club's objectives!

Reply #97714 | Report this post

Van Earl Wright  
Years ago

I disagree #97711. I think you'll find we do want to win grand finals, but we focus our attention on the "Granny's" in the middle half of the year where all the biggest prizes are on offer - State Champs and Classics. Certainly no choking at the business part of the season!

After this period, we begin our focus for the following year - for example all 2007 age groups have already been training together in preperation for next year the last 6-8 weeks. This can hurt some teams performances later in the winter season (because teams will splits in top and bottom age players have one less training together). But we accept this because we know that this extra preperation is a better situation for our teams so that they can peak during April - June (which they have every year for the past five in which we have implemented this cross age group training).

Having said that, I'm sure any team that was in a Winter final wanted to win it very much and if they were beaten they must have been defeated by a better team on the day. However, to say we are chockers 97960... "please"....I "choke" up each time I look at our bulging trophy cabinet.

Reply #97715 | Report this post

mambo  
Years ago

I think Sturt remain the club to catch, however, it's not one thing we have to emulate to succeed. Sturt are successful so kids want to play for them and add to that a strong coaching staff despite one or two eruptions this year and its a hard combination to beat.
If you can get a good proportion of the better players and they get coached well, success follows.
Unfortunately for weaker clubs its a catch 22, to be successful they need to be successful and have good coaches to get good players.

Reply #97716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think branding players as chokers is a touch heavy, and I don't think there is a player or team alive, in any sport, who/which hasn't had one or two poor games throughout their season and sometimes in big ones.
Sure you can focus on the classics and state champs, even set for them but is that the end goal?
Is the winter premiership less valuable than either of the previous titles? Is qualfying for club nationals the goal or is winning it? Is finishing in 2nd or 3rd in State teams a success or failure?
Perhaps Van Earl Wright your team might be better "setting for September" because thats when you win both winter Premierships and club nationals.
That said, I think that all the garbage about any team choking should be flushed down the toilet where it belongs.

Reply #97727 | Report this post

Annon.  
Years ago

Congratulations to the Norwood Under 18 Men Div. They Finished top, came third in the Classics in Melbourne and won the Grand Final.
All that with only one State Country and one Metro member, obviously a very good team.

Reply #97729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear that there are some positions in the Norwood Boys Under 20's team as some of the Under 18's aren't playing any more.

Reply #97730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westies played well in the Under 20 Boys Grand Final.
They have a very good team !

Reply #97733 | Report this post

Supporter  
Years ago

I think only Luke Giles isn't playing on in the Summer season, the result of the Norwood Under 18 Boys are playing on.

Reply #97737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who played well in the Under 18 Div one Final ?

Reply #97738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Girls all played fairly well, West girls had a couple who played well.

Sturt Boys Mitch had a fairly good game Claybron did a great swat at one stage. Ben did alright. Tom wasn't at his usual brillance.
For Norwood 51 Ben Howell played very well, so did Owen, Josh, Andy.

Reply #97739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Ben Howell make the State Under 18 team ?
Looks like he had a very good season.

Reply #97743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come the Sturt Boys in the Under 18 Div. 2 didn't turn up for the presentations ?

Reply #97746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The North Girls seem to have done fairly well.

Reply #97747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the Sturt Div 2 Boys must have thought they should have been playing in the Div 1's.
So they didn't want to see them.

Reply #97748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good talented players don't tend to choke, and they tend to be successful as they go through the grades.
Look at Westies Under 20 Boys, I think they have been in the finals at every year level.
Same with Norths Under 20's last year.

Reply #97751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westies have some very tall and talented Girls in the Under 18 Div. 3 side.
I think some of them will go on and play at Higher levels.

Reply #97752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the Westies girls in the Div 3 Under 18's was just 14 !
She will probably train with SASI.

Reply #97753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Westies Girl are you talking about ?

Reply #97754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that she was number 4
Beaufoy, can't remember her first name.

Reply #97755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the state team was an absolute travesty, ben should of made it

Reply #97758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent results for Torrens Valley Cougars. Not bad for a low profile club.

Reply #97761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Al Green Coaching one of the Cougars teams ?

Reply #97764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, U16 Boys Div 3.

Reply #97770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well under 16 girls north great job lost again well brenton you chocked again

Reply #97828 | Report this post

Upandatem  
Years ago

Sorry, Norwood 16/1 girls had prepared for this day 6 weeks ago! They were well and truly ready! They sure did their homework!
Well done Damien.

Reply #97845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #97828 - always easy to blame the losing coach. Do you think that maybe the North girls didn't have a good game and/or Norwood were just too good on the day?

Reply #97866 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

now that magic and torrens valley have won a lot of lower grade premierships, it might be good idea for them to start putting teams in higher divisions...

Reply #97905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickles, Just worry about your own club! 10 Boys 2 and 21 girls 2 is hardly inspiring for Club that boasts they are going places.

Reply #97911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Girls did a great job really considering the guards head is so big since coming back from State she forget that others are in the team and the other State girl is so inconsistent you gotta wonder. The big head has to look at herself before she goes down even further dragging everyone with her...
Norwood won they played better for sure but really those things on ya head...please not a good look. The NBC doesnt want to have that tag...that took away from the win you silly girls..

Reply #97932 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Brenton always chokes. Blames the girls and gives up on them

Reply #97933 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Nah he's good. He just got the womens job at Mav's! You must be wrong.

Reply #97938 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Regarding the 'things on their heads', I actually thought it was quite amusing! Not to mention appropriate...

Reply #97947 | Report this post

mambo  
Years ago

North and Norwood 16 girls are two very good teams and pouring garbage on them is why we still lag behind better interstate clubs.We seem unable to congratulate winners without putting the boot into the loser.
Rivalry is a wonderful thing but let the rest go. Nowood copped plenty on other threads as did their coach and now it seems its North's turn.
How about we build up the self-esteem of our SA teams and save our 'nasty side' exclusivelyfor the interstate teams.

Reply #97952 | Report this post

Upandatem  
Years ago

HERE HERE, BRILLIANTLY SAID MAMBO!
AMAZING WHAT PRAISE AND CONFIDENCE CAN DO AS OPPOSED TO SWEARING, SLAGING AND DRAGING DOWN! IN PARTICULAR JUNIORS!

Reply #97993 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

comment was not a reflection on the girls. Brenton has a history of giving up when the going gets tough

Reply #98096 | Report this post

krissy  
Years ago

im a under 18's div 3 player for west,
i think that we put up a good fight this season and we have all developed at our skills and i think we can all go far, if we had the chance. We won the grand final, and we were undefeated, well done girls i love u!

Reply #98105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krissy
Do you know number 4's name ?
Well done on being undefeated during the season.

Reply #98636 | Report this post

krissy  
Years ago

Its sooo bad..we are in div 3 again and the team we won against in the grand final..and another team that got knocked out have gone up to div 2! we also had like over 200% or somthing and isnt there a rule that if u get over a certain percent that you have 2 go up a div.. we need harder comp... can anyone help me please???

Reply #100491 | Report this post

Binky  
Years ago

I angree krissy, our team worked so hard this season to achieve a pretty much perfect season and then we are not rewarded and have to stay in a comp that will not help us inprove our skills individually or as a team. It is so unorganised by the club and assosiation that we are being kept in div 3. we want to learn and are being let down.

Reply #100492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard about what happened to the west girls that won the grand final in 18 3's but didnt get put up a division and teams that were below them got put up wat is with that. I support the girls and i think that they should move up were they belong they were undefeated all season... come on someone do something about this mistake.

Reply #100493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I'm guessing Krissy, Binky and the last Anonymous are all the same people. 3 posts on an old topic all within 10 mins of each other haha.

Reply #100494 | Report this post

krissy  
Years ago

or were all friends trying 2 express our view of the situation!!!!! and know we are 3 very different people

Reply #100495 | Report this post

Binky  
Years ago

Or if u dont have anything intelligent to say you shouldn't not speak on a topic you claerly know nothing about!

Reply #100496 | Report this post

Binky  
Years ago

Or if u dont have anything intelligent to say you shouldn't not speak on a topic you clearly know nothing about!

Reply #100498 | Report this post

krissy  
Years ago

and for your information...its not an old topic.. the season hasnt started yet.. we just want to be treated fairly and improve.. you have 2 give us a chance.. i know my team is good enugh for div 2

Reply #100499 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

I agree with both Binky and Krissy...The girls and I from Dv 3. under 18's have worked so hard to get to where we are now...going undefeated all season and winning tha grandfinal... you cant get much better then that...that is why we are ready to move on and take the next step by competing in a higher level..this way we will be challenged and be able to improve our skills...we all deserve this opportunity soooo sooo sooo much...please can someone help us?

Reply #100500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your club has a div 2 side entered.
Most of the 1/2 would have been going up to under 21,s
Why then is your club not promoting you to the div 2 spot or the div 1's for that matter.
Who is filling the 1,2 slots(1st years maybe coming up from under 16's.)

Reply #100515 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

100494, different people, for what it's worth.

Reply #100529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHY DOESN'T WEST ADELAIDE ORGANIZE A PLAYOFF WITH THE OTHER DIV 2 SIDE
ARE THEY SCARED OR ARE THEY HIDING SOMETHING?????????????

Reply #100538 | Report this post

krissy  
Years ago

i agree with the last anonymous... can we have a play off.. or whats wrong with having 2 div 2 teams... we did last season... we are second seasons in under 18's and some under 16's got higher than us.. i wanna play them for the div 2 spot.. with real reffs!

Reply #100543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you whinging on here? Take it up with your coaching director.

Reply #100580 | Report this post

krissy  
Years ago

where not whinging! we just know we can do it.. but now we dont have the chance

Reply #100585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west should have a 2 Div 2 teams

however perhaps if it wasn't insisted that you stay together as a team, at least some of them would already be in div 2... this is not the first time this has happened.... and look what happens if you are willing to go with the flow and change from playing with the same people..... for example individuals move up in grades, play with different people and make a state team in a couple of years.....

it is not a viable option for a club to keep the same players together in the same team every year, there are other players involved...... your call

Reply #100991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MAYBE SOME OF THE PLAYERS ARE WILLING TO PLAY AT HIGHER GRADES WEST ADELAIDE ALSO HAVE TO MAKE OR NOMINATE WHO THEY WOULD LIKE TO PROMOTE THAT HASNT HAPPENED

Reply #101055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahah so im big headed am i? don't see how that works. funny how its a team game and we lost as a team.one player doesn't make a difference.you win as a team, you lose as a team.yea congrats to the norwood girls, iv'e got no excuses, they had a great day and we didn't. at least iv'e got the guts to admit that. i think you're just one of those people who gets the satisfaction of putting down someone else because youv'e got nothing better to do. so next time you put someone down- make sure you know them well enough to judge them

Reply #101228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah funny how you blame the guard & the inconsistant other player, norwood were better on the day,you are obviously jealous of these two girls who were good enough to make state, or maybe you were one that was dropped from state.. any way lets see what the new season brings maybe your the big head!!!!!

Reply #101236 | Report this post

Deb Walker  
Years ago

Why dont you all stop dumping shit on other clubs and teams, well done to Norwood they won the G.F. and were a great team on the day,and the guard that is mentioned is my daughter and if you knew her like i do she is far from being a big head and the inconsistent player happens to be her friend who is also a great kid and at least have the guts to put your name to your comment.. try supporting each other instead of baggin.

Reply #101238 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Instead of canning everybody, perhaps some of the girls need to step back and look at WHO they are playing for- themselves, or their club. Instead of asking for a playoff against the other nominated team, what about a 'retrial' whereby the CLUB can select the best players and place them into the teams they think would benefit all

Reply #101261 | Report this post

uncle arthur  
Years ago

you are all pissing into the wind - west have 2 div 2 teams in u18 div 2 G

Reply #101265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry uncle aurthur you need to get your facts right

Reply #101335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the criticism of the North or Norwood players

Reply #101507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was of the north players

Reply #101689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to me that 2 very good sides played and one team had a better day. On any given day either side could beat the other. Norwood copped a lot of crap about the princess stuff and answered it fairly well, the coach has copped plenty and also answered well. Now its up to North to come back hard in the 18's and earn the bragging rights back.
As for the players who were bagged on both sides, it's up to you to decide if there is any truth in what's been said about you and if so do something about it.If there is no truth in it, Ignore it completely and don't dignify the criticism with a response.

Reply #101697 | Report this post

krissy  
Years ago

2 uncle arthur naa there is onli 1 div 2 team in unda 18 G.... i wish there was 2... but they did 2 div 3 teams instead

Reply #101711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754