Isaac
Years ago

Basketball SA CEO appointed

Mark Hubbard, currently the manager at the Blackwood Golf Club, has been appointed CEO of Basketball SA.

The new grassroots body for basketball in SA has announced its first CEO today.

Basketball SA, the body formed as a result of the restructure of the sport under the stewardship of former AFL CEO, Wayne Jackson, is pleased to announce that Mark Hubbard has been appointed as its first CEO. Mark is currently the Manager at the Blackwood Golf Club and in addition has been heavily involved in a working group, which undertook a recent review of the State golfing organisation.

Basketball SA Commission Chairman, Bruce Spangler, said

"The Commission believes that Mark's high quality sport management experience, both at State and national level, and his strong inter-personal skills provide the key ingredients in establishing a vibrant State basketball body, which is representative of all stakeholders in the sport.

Basketball is a participation friendly, major sport in SA, with many committed individuals and clubs willing to take the sport to the next level."

Mark Hubbard said,

"I am thrilled to have been appointed to the role, which I see as unique in SA sport. We have a very full agenda with much work to do in setting the future directions for basketball. I intend to consult widely at both the metropolitan and country levels. It is a particularly exciting time for the sport."

Mark will commence duties with Basketball SA on Monday, 16 October. The offices will remain at the Distinctive Homes Dome.

Topic #8713 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Manager at the Blackwood Golf Club" - I think he comes very cheaply ????? You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

That's not a personal insult, I dont know the guy or his background, but just a reflection on the guy's current position.

The BSA board must believe that its best to get people outside of basketball. There are plenty of corporate/business/sporting leaders currently or previously involved with basketball. This guy appears to be neither a corporate/business/sport leader nor involved with basketball.

A very interesting appointment.

Reply #97723 | Report this post

MBA  
Years ago

"Manager at the Blackwood Golf Club" - I think he comes very cheaply ????? You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

That's not a personal insult, I dont know the guy or his background, but just a reflection on the guy's current position.

The BSA board must believe that its best to get people outside of basketball. There are plenty of corporate/business/sporting leaders currently or previously involved with basketball. This guy appears to be neither a corporate/business/sport leader nor involved with basketball.

A very interesting appointment.

Reply #97724 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Isaac, where did the article come from? Is there any more detail about his national level sporting management roles? I think MBA's post may be a bit premature, but I know what he/she is getting at.

It's like the Hyatt announcing their best restaurant has a new chef - formally the shift manager at Croydon Macca's.

Reply #97732 | Report this post

SD  
Years ago

Lets give him a chance.

I think that it will be good for the newly appointed CEO not to have all the biase prejuidices that seems to exist amongst the basketball fraternity.

It will be good for an outsider to see how everything is run, and hopefully keep the good, and make changes to improve the not so good.

Sometimes the best decisions are not always the popular decisions. and he is not going to please all of us. That would be impossible.

So we will have to wait to see what impact he will have.

I do think that there are many positives about the basketball community & resources, and that the right person can turn the association around.

Lets hope it is not more of the same, and nothing changes.

All the best Mark.

PS Mark. There are a lot of experts who write in (ha ha ha)

Reply #97734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thedoctor, press release from the Acting CEO.

Reply #97736 | Report this post

MBA  
Years ago

SD, fair enough. I hardly think a corporate/business/sporting leader would be managing a golf course. Lets get some perspective; this guy will be overseeing an organisation that has ownership or long term leases on $Millions in assets, and literally 1000s of stakeholders, add to that the current political issues involved amongs the various constituants as well as the government itself - Foley will be watching him closely for example!

I might be premature but if this guy has this kind of experience what the hell is he doing managing Blackwood Golf Club, with all due respect to him.

Reply #97749 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Treasurer Foley stated that the administrators of basketball had let their sport down badly. Therefore SD, we cannot afford the luxury of "giving him a chance". MBA in 97749 post has summed the situation very well; we trust the appointment made by Bruce Spangler and the commision has been made with the long term benefit of basketball in mind, not just some inexpensive Mr Fixit type short term solution.

Reply #97760 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I believe he will be able to utilise the holes in the floor at Pasadena for the National Putt Putt Championships.
BTW- any progress at Pasa?

Reply #97767 | Report this post

CEO  
Years ago

MBA:

My two cents (actually, I think it's probably closer to about $2 going on length)...

I am responsible for, and a substantial stakeholder in, a privately owned company here in Adelaide, and would argue that it is almost certainly too early to pass judgement on Mark Hubbard.

You mention that BSA is involved with assets in the $m range, thousands of stakeholders and some involvement from the Government. My company has assets in the tens of millions, many stakeholders and has worked closely with various elements of the Government on multiple occasions, but I'd almost guarantee you wouldn't recognise my name. I would suggest that this doesn't mean I shouldn't be in my current role.

Because Mr Hubbard isn't a well known public figure doesn't mean the guy won't be the best thing that happens to basketball in SA (I'm not suggesting he will or won't do a good job - I really don't know). He may be managing the Blackwood golf club as a lifestyle choice, or for other reasons we know nothing about.

Lastly, I'm not sure that BSA can afford to bring on the kind of CEO you may be imagining. Although the basketball (via the 36ers etc..) has a reasonable public profile, BSA is actually a pretty small enterprise. They have a capital value of probably a couple of million and a reasonably low turn-over. That said, there I do acknowledge that there is some appeal to being involved with a public sporting body.

I think that is my long and convoluted way of saying give the guy a chance before you shoot him down. You never know, he may surprise you. As dribbler mentioned, Bruce Spangler most likely had some good reasons for selecting Mark Hubbard.

National putt-putt championships do sound like fun though!

Reply #97775 | Report this post

rsb  
Years ago

Did Paul Bell get an interview? he has the passion and would of been a good choice IMO.

Reply #97795 | Report this post

SD  
Years ago

The choice has been made.

Lets all get behind Mark and support him to turn the basketball association around.

A good CEO will normally have a very good support structure around him. He will have very competatnt people to advise him.

Thee are many very well qualified people who would be able to take over the CEO role, and most we would have not heard of before.

So lets not judge him because we do not know who he is, or does not come from the right organisation.

Our support is important for Mark to do his job properly.
In six months time, then lets see how he has progressed.

Reply #97831 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

As usual some amazingly negative posts with little knowledge of the facts, or understanding of the process, IMO.

1. Firstly, Spangler didn't appoint him. The new Board did that includes some very clever business and basketball people including David Spear and Greg May.

2. Actual process - common guys this was a recruitment process. From the outside it would appear the job was advertised in the right areas, they spoke to head hunters (i assume)looked at the candidates who applied, interviewd the most qualified and surprise surprise appointed the candidate they thought was the best, in terms of training education and experience. qualifications.

What else exactly should they have done?

But no posters on here no better, why........because he has come from Blackwood Golf Club!! So what.

Both CEO and SD make some great points above. But the best is that not every good administrator is well known or have a high profile, be they in private or govt employment.

Unless you were involved in the process (and I wasn't like the other posters I assume)you know nothing of what has transpired leading up to the appointment.

Here is a novel thought, lets all chill just for a while, and wait to see how the appointment works out before critising.

Reply #97835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA:
Pre 6ers/Dome sale - about $20 Million in assets.
About 9-10 million turnover per annum. Thats not including the member club's turnover.

High profile, 1000s of constituants, many stakeholders, high level of political focus and interaction, the need for someone to come in and get an ailing sport back on its feet.

I can't see how someone working as a golf course manager could be the perfect person for this role. Im not been critical of him, he may do great, and he may have great experience and qualifications. No, I was not involved in the process, nor do I know his background. Just making the point that it doesnt make sense from what little knowledge I have.

Its either: a poorly written press release (by not clearly explaining the new CEOs background and qualifications) OR the highlight of his career up until now was managing a golf course and helping write a plan for a state sporting body.

Reply #97841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Bell would not have been the best person. Passion may equate to some positive impact, but his business savvy is very underdone - hence his non-employment into just about every basketball job that has been advertised in the last 12 months!

Reply #97846 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

If you know the facts then pass judgment (ie how many of you have seen his CV, know him personally or professionally?), if not you are just being ignorant and, quite frankly, stupid.
It's a golden rule that you can't pass judgment on something you don't know enough about. The legal system has uneducated idiots shooting it down every day, but they don't know what they are talking about. The same applies here

Reply #97847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People pass judgement on people in high profile positions every day without knowing enough about it. All we currently know is that he has managed a golf course and involved in a working group that did a review of a state sporting body.

As long as you state that you are passing judgement based on this knowledge there is nothing wrong with it.

Ignorant and stupid would be saying the guy is unqualified and crap and not qualifying the statement with what knowledge you have on the situation.

Nothing at all wrong with having a discussion about this CEO. Infact it is good to challenge these appointments.

Reply #97852 | Report this post

Afroman  
Years ago

I have a strong Financial background, having been involved over the years in various corporate restructures.

I have a son who plays basketball, and have experienced all the frustrations most parents have experienced.

The issue is what the goals of Basketball SA are?

I posted this question a few weeks ago, and got various answers. The problem is that many readers see Basketball SA with different goals.

And really, we must judge Mark on how he achieves the goals that he is set by Basketball SA.
Not by the goals we think he should have.

Mark has quite a job on his hands.
I do not think that there are many quick fixes.
He will need time to assess where basketball SA is at, and then where they should be.
And it is his job to make sure that Basketball SA move in the right direction.

I think that it is good that he is an "outsider".
What if it came out that he had a chld playing for "Sturt".
He would be evan more doomed.

It is important that he looks at the problems objectively, and not subjectively as most us parents / members of various basketball clubs would do.

He has a very difficult job ahead of him.
Lets all helpas much as we can.
Put forward positive points on this Forum, maybe he will take note.

Reply #97863 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

We are talking about the Basketball SA CEO. Not the Basketball Adelaide CEO, Basketball SA is the peak body to run all basketball in SA where as Basketball Adelaide will run the metropolitan side of basketball in Adelaide eg senior and junior comps that BASA use to run. I think people don't understand the new structure as it is. That maybe because everything has not been finalized yet. I don't know? We are talking about two different groups here not one as it use to be.

Reply #97868 | Report this post

Carmel Hubbard  
Years ago

Well Done Mark!! Gongratulations on your appointment as CEO
Onwards and upwards!
Luv Aunty Carmel. and cus Danny,Lesley and family... ..

Reply #100457 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754