Stephen D
Years ago

Should all clubs have a team in Div 1

I am curious as to why all teams need to be represented in Div 1?

If so, then when does a club like Torrens Valley get that same right?

Topic #8739 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

not a member club

Reply #98049 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

you have to understand the structure of basketball in this state to get the answer to that question Stephen

Member clubs are (currently) the only ones allowed teams in Div 1 and in District or State Bank League.

Adel Uni, Flinders Uni, Torrens Valley, Western Magic are not member clubs of BSA

Reply #98051 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I believe that you need to have junior teams to be a member club, is this correct ?

Reply #98059 | Report this post

Stephen D  
Years ago

Tony Thanks for the answer.

Excuse my ignorance, but why are they not members?

Would it not be in BSA's interest to have as many clubs members as possible?

Reply #98060 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Stephen it is all in the constitution set amount of clubs
each club has a certain criteria to reach before it can be admitted to member club status

ex amount of junior teams
ex amount of senior teams able to play at State league level
SBL has to be in both men and women they can not be admitted with a men's team but not a women's team.
Financial security
and a sound and stable committee structure.

Then they have to be asked to join and it has to be backed by the other clubs then ratified.

This is my understanding of it anyway, I might be wrong on a few minor points but that is the gist of it. Stephen

A member club must be able to compete at the highest level, provide junior teams in each grade (supposedly div 1) last two clubs to be admitted were Centrals and Woodville in 1983.

Reply #98064 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Isnt Eastern a member club? I thought they were the last club to be admitted??

Reply #98084 | Report this post

ANOMALY  
Years ago

EASTERN IS NOT A MEMBER CLUB

Reply #98087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No all clubs should not have a Div1 team. You will not change basketball for the better as long as so called member clubs have the voting power.
BSA need to make the hard calls on what is the best for basketball moving forward.
Look at the last few years and the same clubs are getting thrashed each
week. I can't see these players enjoying their basketball and I don't understand how this would help the club.

Reply #98095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do we have clubs that are not member clubs? Why can't those players join one of the member clubs.. The SANFL don't have random teams join that are not members I don't think they do in club cricket either...

I dont see the point of having teams dominate div 4 beacuse it is really their div 1 team.

I guess I don't see the benefit of having clubs like Torrens Valley and Western Magic.

Reply #98099 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

my sons play for a so call lesser club and cope plenty of beatings but they love playing for the club they love basketball and have improved immensely - when they play social or school it shows out - club player / other player

not everybody plays just to win some actually play because they want to win but if they lose they still want to play - its call loving the game - not playing to win

Reply #98100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should just blow the whole elitist member club crap up, it does nothing to develop the game

Reply #98125 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

No good having a div 1 team just for the sake of it.

They at least need to be competitive; dont get me wrong, i think all clubs should have the chance to be represented in div 1, but not just to make up numbers.

Reply #98182 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Under the new structure I believe we are now talking about Basketball Adelaide not Basketball SA as this well be the peak body over Basketball Adelaide, SA Country, SA Church etc. Basketball Adelaide is the body that will run the metropolitan competition and is run by the member clubs.

Reply #98224 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

i relise that a few clubs aren't members of bsa butteams like western magic who play div 2 and beat everyone week in week out by more than 20 im pretty sure they could play in div 1 and still compete and the same with torrens valley and div 3 they beat most people why dont they play in div 2

Reply #102036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only got access to the internet at school, eh Stef?

Reply #102045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why dont they get rid of non member clubs and players who want to play could join a member club.. It's not like there aren't enough out there..

If they don't want to play for a member club they could play social.

Reply #102066 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754