Johnny Sack
Years ago

Romario - Could the NBL do this also???

The massive news about Romario's guest stint (it is BY FAR the biggest coup in the young A-League's history), has got me thinking - could the NBL institute something similar??? Recently retired - semi-great NBA, Euro players would jump at the chance to come and play down under (all expenses paid vacation - i would say money is not such a big consid. for some of these guys)... Might get interest in the sport accelerated...

Topic #8782 | Report this topic

Years ago

Really is it anything more than a cheap publicity gimmick?

If there were good enough players locally, it wouldn't be necessary. I know it takes time an patience for these players to develop, but maybe they should try that instead of blowing large wads of cash on ageing greats.

Reply #98767 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Publicity Gimmick - perhaps... Cheap - No ($130k 4 games)... Look at it this way the South Dragons have been harping on about their ex-NBA coach (photographs of Mark in a Cavs Uni. are all over their website... relevance = ZERO) and players (Todd Fuller - one of the guys that got Don Nelson fired = monumental bust / Shane - taking splinters for the team in Minny and S.A.) and they have by all accounts been doing well on the finance/ticket sales front... The A-League is similar to the NBL (but a bit ahead) - they are both trying to build their way to respectability... Whatever gets bums on seats (and preferably can win at the same time is great)... And make no mistake - Romario can still play... As a comparison it would be like getting Malone to guest for the Sixers (as unlikely as that would be)...

Reply #98771 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Malone is a perfect copmarison, I was trying to think of one and couldn't. Romario was world footballer of the year in the 80's and runner up another year, sure he's 40 now but he's just had a season in the US league where he finished joint top scorer in the competition. I'd say the US league is comparable in standard to the A League so there's no doubt he'll contribute on the pitch, and off the pitch he'll be great.

As a comparison Dennis Rodman pimps himself out around the place from time to time. He's played a few games with the Brighton Bears in the British Basketball League (comparable standard to ABA) and the stadiums are absolutely packed to the rafters when he does. I think they paid him 20,000 pounds for each appearance but the publicity it generated was great for the game.

In a better competition like the NBL I'm not sure how a superstar coming in for 4 games would effect the chemistry of a team, but if someone's role was to come in for 15 minutes, play hard D and grab boards I don't think it would mess things up too badly.

Reply #98775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WNBL already has - Alana Beard

Reply #98899 | Report this post

Years ago

I didn't mean cheap in a monetory sense, I meant cheap in the sense that it's just a quick fix.

IMO, not necessary and it takes opportunities away from local players.

Reply #98946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754