box me out
Years ago

Glen Saville

I am a BIG fan of the Wollongong all-round Small Forward, i am sure many of you also are. Proving himself season after season as a worthy leader for the Wollongong Hawks, i find it interesting how things are beginning to crumble by round 3.

After being named captain for the 2006/2007 season, the hawks have gone down twice in marginal losses and debatably received no real impact from Sav.

Our very own Mark Nash had a role to take Saville out of the game in round 1 36ers V Hawks in which he did so, quite successfully i might add. But if our number 7 or 8 man can take a player with such experience and expertise out of the game, what chance do Wollongong have?

Now the discussion is moving Sav to play the 4 spot. If he isn't cutting the mustard in the 3 spot (now, it's only been 2 games i have great faith he will bounce back), how can you expect him to dominate against opponents with a bigger body build and size. Although he has athletesism i feel in the number 4 spot a player requires more then just speed, otherwise there wouldn't even be a 4 spot because guys with smaller frames can play it just aswell if not better!

But how will he out-rebound, out-muscle, and out-body Harvoth, who is the 36ers power forward for instance (or Brett Wheeler, whoever you would prefer from our starting 5 of the two. One of them is centre the other Power Forward).

I find Glen an honest player, a Jason Kidd if you like, but in the role of a Small Forward. If he isn't dominating points one night, he should be focussing on rebounds or assists to help his team out in another area. Although he isn't the highest of scorers (15-20ppg roughly), to me he seems like the closest 'triple-double' basketballer Australia has breed in the last 5 or so years. It's a shame to see very flat stats for 2006 so far in all departments.

Basically this is an open discussion. He seems to be a talking point on everywhere but hoops. Your thoughts please :)

(P.S. This is very important to chew up work hours. As you can see i DO have alot of time on my hands by the length of this post)

Topic #8810 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Who's he going to replace at PF? Ballinger who has done very well for the team so far this season and serves as one of the very underrated imports of the NBL?

I just can't see why Joyce would think that shuffling the team around is going to fix his poor shooting.

Reply #99083 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

"I just can't see why Joyce would think that shuffling the team around is going to fix his poor shooting."

When i read that i couldn't help but think how Dragons are in a very similar position with Holmes. A supposed leader for the Dragons but can't find his touch.

Both Wollongong and Dragons are playing reasonable basketball without their strongest forward. I guess im just angry cause both players are worth over $110,000 on dreamteam, and it earnt me almost no points. Now that's an investment.

Reply #99092 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Geez give the guy a break - He is top 10 in Boards - top 5 in assists and steals so far this season. Ok he has had a couple of low shooting %age games but to start writing him off as a 3 and moving him to a 4 is a bit premature at this stage!

Reply #99115 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

lol. Did you read anything in the above?

"I am a BIG fan of the Wollongong all-round Small Forward"

"I find Glen an honest player, a Jason Kidd if you like, but in the role of a Small Forward"

I'm not writing him off!! I'm 'Questioning' his ability to carry a team whilst playing a new position when under the pump! That is a serious ask, especially when the next few games are quite crucial for their future success!

Glen Saville is one of my fav players of all time i just want some discussion! %@@!!

I would of had the same debate if New Jersey Nets decided to put Vince Carter as Power Forward... and i'm a new jersey fan!

Vince Carter on Tim Duncan. Yeah it could work.

Reply #99121 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

Saville is a good player - he can be a bit hot and cold though i agree.
However dont diminish the stopping ability of "7 or 8" player Mark Nash.
Nashy might be very average on the offensive side of things, but defensively he is very versatile and can make good players frustrated. He might not steal the ball off you or block your shots, but he can stop you getting good looks at the rim and force you into playing risky basketball.

Reply #99147 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Box me out - I was more referring to the move to have him play as a 4 rather than a 3 after his start to the season. I wasnt saying you had written him off as a player - rather that anyone "writing him off as a 3" should give him a bit more time to regain his shooting confidebce as the other parts of his game are still very good.

You mentioned it has been a hot discussion topic in other places so I was assuming from your original post that this move (playing him at the 4)was being called for by numerous people

Reply #99327 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:57 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754