Question
Years ago

State Teams in General

Just a question and no I'm not a disgruntled player as I never even played, but why is it that only SASI players make state teams and not outside players. I realise that SASI generally has the tallented kids there but what happens to kids that dont do SASI or quit SASI early (say U16).

Is there a corelation between being in SASI and making the State Team?

Topic #8839 | Report this topic

Matt W  
Years ago

no there is not. all players are selected equally.

what do you think?

Reply #99505 | Report this post

Dreaming  
Years ago

Politics my friend, politics!

Reply #99514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over the past couple of years, more State teams than not have had non-SASI players selected in the team.

Often at trails players are identified and during the state team selection process are offered SASI scholarships.

Reply #99518 | Report this post

Question  
Years ago

(#99518)

That was the response I was looking for. I was not sure and was just asking a question, although re reading my first post I realise I worded it wrong.

Thank you.

Reply #99521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how much of the state teams do people really believe hasnt been selected before trails start??

Reply #99524 | Report this post

PAST State player  
Years ago

guys there was a dude from South in the U16 that only got cut at the last cut stage and he has never been to one training session at SASI. also a dude from Southern but that was personal issue's stopping him.

If you worked hard enough and were good at wat u did and LISTENED then there is no reason why u couldn't play state ball.

There is a guy that use to play 36er's that never made a state team yet through pure hard work. So just because someone nbever played state doesn't mean u'll never make it a a baller

Reply #99554 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

do you mean "trials"

Reply #99560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you explain to me why players have to "pay their dues" and sit on the sideline until they have "done their time". This happens in all levels - if a kid is good enough to make a state team, should they sit on a bench after the parents have paid copious amounts for the honour. What new blood is coming into SASI as far as coaching staff are concerned or is it still the same old same old program.

Reply #99561 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

yawn, yawn!!!

Reply #99562 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

do you people honestly think a state coach isnt going to pick the best kids regardless of whether they are in sasi or not you are so worng! state coaches want to win, so will always pick the best players they feel fits there system or best players per position. some names that havent been sasi members that have made state in recent history include, Chris Clausen, Gavin Kargins, Daniel Slegekhi. fact is the kids identified as best in the state end up becoming sasi members, this is what a sports institute is for so of course the greater percentage of kids is from sasi, only a couple slip through the system or find their games late.

Reply #99563 | Report this post

Fair  
Years ago

Players that are not in SASI do get picked. Even this year i know for a fact in the 16 Girls n 18 Boys. But SASI ballers do get looked at more considering SASI is for the more talented players at the time. But ballers do come into and out of the program out throughout the season/s / years. I believe it is fair for a player to be in state if their not in SASI because you need the most talented players for state, but its more than likley you will be offered a SASI scholarship throughout that time, if a player turns it down or quits the program throughout the year then they are obviously not committed and committment it a huge priority when it comes to basketball (unless for personal reasons - thats then most probably understandable).

Reply #99566 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

fair in the u18 boys all sasi ppl got picked man, 3 names in particular should not have been in that team! 1 wasnt even a sa boy!

Reply #99569 | Report this post

Hypocrites  
Years ago

There are a number of kids now coming up through the grades who play div 1 who choose not to do SASI because they have other commitments. They have been asked out. I know 3 of these come from 1 club.

The kids choose not to because there are so many other things to do these days and the smart ones know they will still make state teams as most coaches want to win. These kids also have the confidence to say no to SASI despite the fact they may be descriminated against in the selection process. To say they are not as committed is a joke. Remember 1% of these kids go "anywhere" - who cares really.

Reply #99584 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

how naive some of these posts are

Reply #99602 | Report this post

move on  
Years ago

Agree with you lockstock having been there and done that - If kids choose not to go to SASI and are still good enough good luck to them. at least kids wanting to go to SASI then get the chance and may utilize the opportunity.

An interesting question would be how many kids go to SASI simply because the coaching they get at their club is sub standard. Based on what I have seen quite a few.

SASI serves a purpose and Neil runs a great ship. Keep it up for the kids that choose.

Reply #99654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"An interesting question would be how many kids go to SASI simply because the coaching they get at their club is sub standard"

- Good point. I do agree that there is alot of sub standard coaching at club level. However most kids/parents in this situation dont even know it. As long as they make the finals or almost make it they think they are getting good coaching. Parents/kids need to ask more questions and do some research about the quality of coaching at their club.

Reply #99671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does any body know when the u/20s start try outs.
have pick the coach and what state is it played.

Reply #99696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, U20s next year is at Ballarat.

Reply #99702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Lockstock
Go roll your barrel
this is exactly why basketball and SASI are the laughing stock

Reply #99714 | Report this post

I wonder  
Years ago

Say a baller starts playing late, like U16 second year. Is tall, strong and quick - a bit of extra coaching and encouragement from a SASI invite or even a bit of encouragement from the SASI coaching staff may bring her up to or above the level of other bigs in the SASI program. What will happen? That would be risk taking and not to be encouraged. SASI athletes who have been the benefit of so many years of expert coaching - what about a bit for newcomers who show promise??

Reply #99722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754