achtung baby
Years ago

The Centrals Curse

It seems the all too familiar centrals curse has taken its toll on too many players again.

Jye Watson, arguably one of the most talented players to be recruited to centrals for years, has left the club, and will be suiting in a Norwood Flames uniform next season.

Justin Wilkey has left the club, again, to which club I am not sure, but there cant be too many left for him. How long will it take them to get fed up with him?

Are people aware of any other really big changes for the next ABL season?

Topic #8913 | Report this topic

Wilkey will be back at his original club

Reply #100365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after soooooo many clubs - remind me which one that is
Watson was shown the door not him leaving so there is no curse - just Ricky doing his thang, way to go I think

Reply #100372 | Report this post

Red and White
Why would Ricky show him the door? somehow I could not see that happening.
He is all class.

Reply #100373 | Report this post

How is this for a Championship team:
Who can beat this team? maybe forestville but they need a replacement for J Dix

David Cooper - 5 hsa 45.9
Keith Krause - 4 hsa 28.1
Jye Watson - 3 hsa 26.0
Robin Eley - 2 hsa 18.5
Todd Matthews - 1 hsa 27.4

Bench

Andy Webber hsa 29.9
William Foster hsa 14.9
Scott Lampshire hsa 11.2
Corey Ottey hsa 14.1
Sam Granthem hsa 14.3
Matt Jones hsa 3.2

Reply #100375 | Report this post

Lt Bookman  
Years ago

Show me the Money,

Your email was a little puzzling until I checked my calendar and realised it was that time of the year again when Norwood talk up their ABA side.

No question a very good team on paper but let them at least "fire a shot in anger" before we start engraving the trophy.

Reply #100377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood=perennial underachievers since rupert has been there.

Reply #100380 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Good to see there buying there champion team.

Reply #100383 | Report this post

Lt Bookman
I am not associated with Norwood, however when told there was a chance Jye would be at Norwood It made me think there team would be hard to defeat.

Anon, they came with in a whisker of making the GF last year under Rupert so I don't think they under achieved.

Reply #100384 | Report this post

all except dave cooper and Jye and Will would be norwood juniors.

think b4 you comment - also any good team does buy imports.

what is wrong with that???

Reply #100385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they only just scraped into finals, yr b4 cellar dwellars. should have dominated both yrs.

inconsistent and underachievers

Reply #100387 | Report this post

I agree they were terrible the year b4 last and up and down most of last year, however I thought Rupert did a good job of

improving them leading in to the finals and trust me

other teams feared them when it came to the playoffs.

07 they will be better again

Reply #100388 | Report this post

Michael Winslow  
Years ago

"all except dave cooper and Jye and Will would be norwood juniors."

Except :

Webber started at South
Lampshire played at Sturt until U18s
Ottey was a Woodville junior
Matthews played at Sturt until U18s

Etc etc....

Reply #100391 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

And besides, "just because you have a team of champions, doesn't make you a champion team...."

Reply #100399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky is all class and yes Jye was told he wasn't required.....bold, gutsy and classy call - Ricky wants a stable, non injured line up for the young lions....warriors - ah lions sorry about that

Reply #100400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wasn't eley a north junior?

Reply #100401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Jye definitely signed with Norwood?

Reply #100403 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah I reckon Ely was a north junior!

Reply #100405 | Report this post

So unless Norwood can find a way to shoot at least 150 shots a game, there will be some very unhappy players there...

Reply #100406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ottey was definatley not a woodville junior!! think he played for torrens valley

Reply #100409 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

haha ELG, exactly what I was thinking. Sappa has a job on his hands to keep everyone happy..

Reply #100412 | Report this post

Panther, I would be interested to know which team best represents a champion team in the ABA?

I would say your team is close but missing at least one or two extra champions to make it a contendor

can a team win the whole thing with out a "Dix" or "wATSON" OR A "Ng"

Reply #100415 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Have to agree with ELG, there will be a lot of unhappy individuals if Watson is a Flame.

Eley, Krause, Cooper and Watson all have shot and regulary shoot around 20 shots per game.

Its either Sapwell doesn't sub and those four average around 40-45 mins per game, or somehow get team harmony for them to succeed.

On the positive for Norwood though, it will be hard for teams to double down on Cooper, he should dominaite with single coverage.

Reply #100416 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

Jye watson is a cancer to a team and would put Norwood out of the running for the championship next year.

Reply #100418 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

OK, I'll bite. Why is Jye a cancer? He looked a very professional unit the times I saw him play.

Reply #100421 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Ottey was at Torrens Valley before Norwood. He has never played for woodville..

Krause has to go, he is takes way too many poor perimeter shots.

Reply #100423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Wilkey really changing clubs again?? He is not very loyal is he? Always running when things don't go his way.

Reply #100424 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I wounder if Ricky showed Jye the door before or after Justin left...They are arguably the best two players in the team (maybe fit reggie in there) and to have both leave at one time, even is Jye is a 'cancer', it makes me wounder if this is a good decision. While saying this I have the fullest respect for Ricky and what he has done at the club.

Reply #100428 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

Lets not get too excited. Team chemistry is very important. Last season the Flames guys really hit their straps at the right time.

I am hoping that they can do a similar thing this year - but they are by no means a lock. Plenty of training and games to go before you can call anyone a contender.

oh .. and

Early Turd,sorry i mean Bird
Getting a little tired of hearing about "buying" a team. Unless you have proof.. ?

Reply #100429 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

from the centrals guys i know, they all say he is about himself and not at all about the team. only cares if he gets his shots and points nothing else.

Reply #100431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry vc fan

i'd have Reggie way out in front of either Justin or Jye Reggie plays both ends of the floor

Reply #100435 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

from playing against Watson a couple of times he is fairly out of control in terms of his temper, and is one of the easiest player's heads to get inside. Dude wanted to take half our team in the carpark after the game for a bit of on-court trash talk.
The Journo, Cooper would not 'dominate' with single coverage. He is not a big offensive threat. Sure he is a threat, but not in terms of creating his own shots. I think you'd find most teams wouldn't double down on him in any event. And if he starts to hurt teams, then maybe.

Reply #100436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

19 points, 36 rebounds, 9 assists, 4 blocks!

Reply #100450 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

that is a pretty amazing stat line.

Reply #100455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webber has played at Norwood since under 14s. I think that classifies as a norwood junior. Eley was a North junior as well.

Reply #100456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jye is yet to sign with anyone... however it is important to look at facts.I heard from Ricky that I Jye leaving was an agreed decision that had many factors including accountability on both parts. But is this talk good for the forum or is it amuzement for people whom are not involved? I think it should be put to rest and get on with it. The bottom line is WHO CARES.... play on

Reply #100459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals have a lot of talent to come through in Scott Herriman and Phil Hooganhout, they have nothing to worry about

Reply #100469 | Report this post

Just In  
Years ago

Ricky could have sacked Jye and Justin because Zane was available.

Reply #100475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha Phil and scottie ... how about mark egel or shannonHoffman or robert cameron

Reply #100490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

webber at nowoord from 1styear under 16

Reply #100514 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

good luck to Centrals I hope they have a better season than last year. It must be so frustrating as a coach/club to have the players but not being able to put them on the floor each week.

Reply #100517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its ok to say you'd rather have reggie over wilkey and watson but the reason you gave just doesn't cut it for me. stop patronising reggie people, he doesn't want your sympathy.

Reply #100535 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

100535 Reggie doesn't have my sympathy he has my respect as a person and as a player

Reply #100541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be frustrated to if i had to play for centrals. hahah, damb I couldn't think of anything worse, what a joke.

Reply #100598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#100490) hahaha Phil and scottie ... how about mark egel or shannonHoffman or robert cameron

This is not very nice these are quality players.....The future

Reply #100599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clarify, Eley played for Norwood from Under 10's through to Under 18's 2nd year when he transferred to North. And "Journo" looking at the stats, Eley does not regularly shoot 20 shots in games. In fact he didn't shoot 20 shots once all season.

Reply #100625 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Sorry "show me the money" it's taken me a while to get back to you.
I think last year the Eagles really played as a team of champions. Each player knew their role within their team and wre happy to play it. It was similar to Woodville when they won and Eastern before too many scorers came on board. Next year who knows. Eagles have always been consistent because Andy Simmons really does a great job keeping everyone on the same page.

Reply #100628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood has a perenial problem of spending big bucks to almost win a flag, see last years womens results

Reply #100661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree...Norwood women weren't even close to almost winning a flag

Reply #100679 | Report this post

Panther, yes but Forestville still had Dix, and I would say Sullivan and Campbell are champs in this league also.

My point is it would be hard to win the ABA with out one or two champions in your team.

At south you have Scanlon - he is an out and out champion.

Norwood only have David Cooper - the rest are on the same level as Forestville players.

So the argument that NOrwood or Forestville buy a team of champions is not exactly correct imho

Sturt would have the most champion players but don't always gell

Reply #100766 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Show me the money, Todd Mathews is a better player than anyone currently wearing a Eagles uniform.

Reply #100863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754