Jonno
Years ago

36ers Roster

Hi, with all the current criticism, i was wondering what people think the roster should look like. My ideal roster for next season would be something like this: (even though i havnt writen the current team off completly and expect us to make the play offs at around 6th spot, fingers crossed)

C Wheeler (at a much reduced rate than his rumoured 100k, maybe 40k)
PF Horvath
SF Newley (i think he is a free agent at the end of this season)
SG Farley (at a slightly cheaper rate)
PG Maher
6 Majstrovich
7 Ng
8 Hill
9 Cooper (at minimum or close to, or replace him with a young big like a hambour or Dodman)
10 Sutton (Rookie Point Guard)

I think the money saved by cutting Nash and Copeland and reducing the salarys of Wheeler and Farley should give us something in the range of 100-150k under the cap, which hopefully is in the ball park needed to sign a Newley (not mentioning any possible outside payments that could be offered by us or anyother club)

It also gives us a main 8 man rotation, which seems to be prefered, with Hill, Ng and Mastrovich being the main guys used off the bench, Hill as 2/3, Ng as 1/2/, majstro at 3/4 and Horvath can slide into Centre and a few minutes to Cooper or the Rookie Big.

It also has a core of SA players with 6 or 7 being SA born talent and most of them being young, other than Maher and Wheeler.

The following season when Ingles, Holmes and Forman are Free Agents again, id do everything possible to try and bring them back, with Ingles being 1st choice.

As for the coach i personally would still keep Smyth, as not many coaches have achieved what he has in his career, and i still think he is a good coach, even though i also agree with some of his criticisms but no one is perfect. If he were to leave, id look at Scotty Ninnis (especially if he can bring Ingles with him) and try and keep KB as an assistant and maybve bring Sappa in as the other asssistant.

Anyway thats my team, which i think is realistic and achievable under the right circumstances, what do people think??? What would yuor team look like???

Topic #8960 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

Well first, I'd doubt that Newley will be in the NBL next year, he'll probably get drafted and if not I'm sure there will be plenty of money waiting for him in Europe.

Unless Farley can average 25ppg, then I think it's time to bring in a new import. I would love to see a true three-man as our import.

I agree with getting rid of Copeland, maybe Nash, I think that Mark can contribute well if he was given a lesser role, maybe coming off the bench for 10-15 mins a game.

I would like to see Hill start at the two, I think he could really shine there, getting to the line alot and hopefully knocking down jumpers.

I would have a team like this:
C - Wheeler
F - Horvath
F - (Import)
G - Hill
G - Maher
Ng
Majstro
Nash
Cooper
Sutton

Reply #101051 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

i agree with 24, also does anyone know when aaron olson and peter crawford become free-agents, neither is getting the minutes they deserve and both would slot into the sixers starting5 nicely, if i was a guy as talented as olson or PC i'd wanna go to a place where i'm at least a starter straight away

Reply #101115 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

next year:
C-??? (i dont think cooper or wheeler are starting materiel, geordie cullen would be nice here)
PF-Horvath (more effective at PF than C)
SF-??? (Cullen/Crawford/Olson/Ingles)
SG-Farley (i think he will bounce back from a slow start and finish the year at about 21ppg, which should justify another year, if not, an import F like powell would be veeeeery nice.)
PG- Maher (of course -best PG in the nbl)
bench:(in order of minutes)
Ng
Majstro
Cooper
Hill
Nash(defense)
Wheeler
Sutton (development player)

Reply #101139 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

heres mine

for of all i think its time that Symthe moves on as i feel that hes not the right person for the job anymore.

STARTING 5

C:Luke Shenshk( hes an adelaide boy and i might not get an nba contract.

PF:new import( i rekon we go for someone new like carlos powell no disrespect to Horvath)

SF:Bouncher( excellent defender and doesnt need to score that much to be effective)

SG: new import( some who is a scoring machine and can keep players like Cortez groves down)

PG:Brett(hes there as the leader the captain and to keep the team together with ruduced court time and salary)

BENCH

C: Cooper( hes there for defense and to grab boards)

PF: Cullen( there for boards and for a little spark of scoring off the bench.

SF: Mastro ( there to score and help out on boards)

SG: Hill( there to help control the game when Maher is not in. also to score and dish)

PG: Sutton( comes into the game when winning not really part of the 9 man rotation ive got in mind)

I reckon bring in Scotty has the new head coach.

just my thoughts

Reply #101175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring back snake!!!!

Reply #101178 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

wolly - schenscher would be fantastic but i wouldnt ditch monsta and where the hell are Ng and Hill, surely you wouldnt have sutton as the backup PG if those two are available.

Reply #101182 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

How about we wait fo the 4-6 week waiting period is over before starting on about NEXT season? Only feels like yesterday I was reading 3000 threads about potential rosters for THIS season.

Reply #101199 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

the only reason why i drop Horvath was because him and Shenscher are to simila. we only have space for 1 big white guy lol. but seriously if we got shenscher as our centre our would rather a young explosive PF who can put on a show and still get the job done. Horvath gets the job done but theres plenty more exciting players than him.

Hill is on my list as a back up SG and i didnt pick ng as he wouldnt be fully commited to the team with all his studys. also i thought we would need more of a pure point gaurd like sutton. because if we had that team we wouldnt need Ng scoring because uve got heaps scoring options anyway.

Reply #101209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olson is having a dodgy season in NZ so far it seems, and I reckon Crawford is too unpredictable. Best bet is to load up on two quality imports in positions that are hard to fill with Australians. Then go after one of the young Kings that deserves more minutes (Luke Martin is doing well up North for example). Try and poach a young prospect like Vukona from NZ or Brown from Perth and keep the best performing roleplayers from the current side.

Reply #101217 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

sorry wolly i didn't see hill ther, i was looking at PG.

And isaac i know olson's having a dodgy season thats why i want him coz he might wanna get outta NZ and go to a team where he's an automatic starter.
with so many teams playin small-ball these days i think we could get away with playin him at SF easy.

Reply #101237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brad hill wont play for the sixers next year, phil is going to lose another quality young guy (newly, Ingles, Holmes) all these guys just seem to be leaving and i think Hill will next year to, coz he is not getting the minutes he deserves, NG cant run point, thats why Hill is in the team to back up MAher.
ah well

Reply #101304 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

what the hell are you talking about! Ng is a fantastic backup PG and Hill has been spending 95% of his time at SG this year

Reply #101451 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754