Anonymous
Years ago

Should Copeland retire while he is still young?

After last nights performance surely 41-year-old Copeland has well and truly past his used by date, doesn't everyone agree that its time for him to hang up the boots.

Topic #8963 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sure do....i dont understand why he didnt retire after his peak instead of continuing and jeoperdising his reputation furthur. People are going to think less of him the longer he plays.

Reply #101057 | Report this post

while he's still young? I don't know what you consider old, but 41 is ancient in basketball

Reply #101063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can you hold it against copes to keep playing if he keeps getting offered the job?

Reply #101064 | Report this post

Dave Atkins  
Years ago

With Copes I think you need to remember he played most of his career in a very structured offence (Tigers) where he knew the shots were coming from. He doesn't have that now and often I feel he looks 'surprised' when he does get a shot.

Reply #101065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

elg while he was young is a joke

Reply #101066 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

There's only room for one elite over 40's b/baller; Thats D-MAC by a country mile. Sorry Copes.

Reply #101069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to Maher on talking hoops, Copes took the basic bare minimum salary to play, because he just wanted to play.

Reply #101074 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

1: How many points would Copes average if he played CBA?

2: How many points did Black score when Copes was on him?

For a player on a the bare minimum salery, is there anyone that would have been better value for money?

Reply #101078 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

simply yes, but hey with our off field dramas lets not forget we were probably lucky to get ANY one
old or young

Reply #101081 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

ok Thomo who?

Reply #101085 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Has Geordie Cullen got a gig at the moment?

Reply #101099 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

nah isaac said geordie was playin in some crappy WA league or somthin, i said before he would be gr8 for us, and yeah copes should've retired when he left melbourne, hes taking minutes away from young guns like ninja, hill and majstro (yes i know hill was pathetic last nite but when hes on his game he's worth giving the time)

Reply #101112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if we needed a player that should be retired just bring back Rees at least he can score

Reply #101124 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

gordie cullen would have been and awesome pick up and the price was right as well that topped with the fact he wanted to play here and has friends here,

tce44 i thought it was obvious that the clubs offield dramas led to alot of potential players going to other clubs and players from this club moving on,

all im saying is next year with the new owner having full control of the $$$ and team i think we will see a dif look in all areas,

Reply #101127 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I don't think you can blame copes for accepting a job at minimum salary - all ballers want to play as long as they can and continue to earn the $$ however small it is.

This lands solely on the Coaching Staff for even considering and therefore offering him a contract.

Can you get anyone better for the same $$ - Any youngster/development player would be better off in that spot, they will make the same mistakes as copes but will be all the better off for the experience - look at Joyce's boy he'd be on minimum and he is playing a far greater role than copes on a pretty packed hawks team.

Hill and Maj could also benefit from copes minutes!

Reply #101146 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Come on Mal, its your money you are now wasting;

1. Sack Copeland now.

2. if this is not possible, bench him for the remainder of the season.

3. Give one of the young guys ago. (Sutton would surley contribute more than 2 fouls, no points per game)

3. Put Smyth on notice that he needs to win a minimum of 70% of the games left to retain his job next season.

AND GET THE PALES BACK ON TAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #101151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Copeland should retire, waste of time 36ers giving him a contract, was a good player but not any more!!
The 36ers have to get rid of more players & staff before they have any chance of winning another championship. Smyth should go, well he should have gone years ago..

Reply #101156 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

He needs to join the Ben Fitz posse/squad. He earns enough coin to pay Copes the minimum.

Reply #101158 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Thomo I think Geordie would have been an excellent pick up, but was he going to be willing to play for just above the minimum? Also Geordie plays the 4-5, where we alredy have Coops, Nick, Brett W and Nashy.

Can someone tell me how many points Black scored when Copes was on him? Copes may not have done a thing in the offensive end, but I don't think he was abused on d like some of the local boys.

Reply #101165 | Report this post

kobe#8  
Years ago

Man if I was getting offered to play basketball in a great environment id play as long as i could. Opinions and age dont come into it until you stop getting offered a contract.

Reply #101168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Copeland goes, can he take Nash with him? Please, please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please ,please, please. Im asking really nice.

Reply #101223 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I am as frustrated by Copelands lack of "leadership" through example.

The biggest problem i have with him at the moment is his shot selection. He has taken some really poor 'on the run' floaters from just inside the 3 pt line at the top of the key.
To top this off he has to pump the ball to fake the defender trying to block it. Shows a lack of athleticism and confidence. He also does not know how to work off the ball to get open looks. Horvath does an OK job screening, but Copes looks like he doesnt want to get the ball in the lane anymore.

IMO his turnovers are mostly a result of our team not being fluid on the court. They all stand around expecting Brett to make a lane for them to cut into. Copes cant do that for them and rushes his passes and is often intercepted.

I dont know if sacking him will help anyone this year, but i would be limiting his court time and making him mentor some of the young guys at training and on game night from the bench.

Reply #101254 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

Dont let the door hit you on the ass as you are leaving Copes!

Nashy, show him the way as well.

Reply #101274 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

In stead of: 'Adelaide 36ers at the Distinctive Homes Dome' we should be renamed: 'Adelaide 36ers a very nice retirement home'.

Name - Reason - Verdict
Copeland - Too old - out
Wheeler - Getting old but is useless anyway - out
Hill - Unless he gets some overall confidence - out
Nash - Unless he gets some offensive confidence - out

I know I'm harsh but if changes aren't made soon the season for the 6ers might as well end, however from the weekends performance I almost think some players have taken that on board.

Reply #101318 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754