Anonymous
Years ago

daniel joyce

should this guy be playing 25-30 minutes a game for wollongong. to believe that daniel joyce is better than brad hill is ridiculous...so why can he get a chance and brad hill not. Surely Joyce makes the same rookie mistakes that Hill makes.

Topic #8988 | Report this topic

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Im sure Joyce's dad coaching the Hawks might have something to do with it..

Reply #101333 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

It helps if your dad is the coach, so he has carte blanche to do whatever he likes i guess.

Reply #101334 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

but then again Joyce has not been scared to run rookies for long minutes in the past.

Look back to Saville & Campbell

Reply #101336 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

At least Joyce is giving the young guys a chance. How else are they going to learn?

Reply #101337 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Yeah

Watching that Phil Smyth special on Fox after the Dragons vs. Hawks game on Saturday night, it became quite apparent that Phil still holds a grudge against all rookies because a rookie was given special treatment over him and it basically ended his days as a Sixer. He was shafted out of his own playing days so he is going to make it as hard as hell for any rookie to get an even break.

Unless Phil brings in some young blood next year he has to be shown the door, his way with the previous generation isn't working so it's time he gives a few rookies a go.

Daniel Joyce didn't disgrace himself on the court; he looks like he will be a very solid NBL player for 10 years.

Reply #101343 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Players learn on the practice court not in the 4th quarter of a game when turnovers, bad decisions and getting beaten up on D hurt a team.

Reply #101344 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

Jimmy that Rookie was Brett Maher

Reply #101348 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would a practice court really give players exposure to nerves, big crowds, and so on?

Reply #101349 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

TB and Phil is still cut about it.

Joe Ingles and Brad Newley not in the same class as a Maher rookie? of course they are and they needed to be given a green light in the team.

If Phil didn't hold a grudge against rookies he wouldn't have let those two walk away.

Reply #101353 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce looked absolutely hopeless at the Dome a week or two ago. I said to my mate that night I couldn't even see him dominating ABL, and he played about 30 minutes for I think 2 points, which was an open layup on an assist.

Reply #101367 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

John Phillip must be wondering what he needs to do - puts up big numbers every off-season and gets no time at the end of the bench.

Reply #101371 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

Watching the Hawks v Dragons on Sunday i thought Joyce did a great job at getting to the hoop and then dishing it off to an open teammate. But i do think that he needs to earn his minutes a bit better than he is at the moment, he is allowed to go on court for 30 mins easy. Brad Hill on the other hand has to earn his minutes the very hard way and is paying the price....which way is better remains to be seen but i think blooding the youngsters seems to be a good idea and have faith in them, similar to joyce.

Reply #101374 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Yes, Joyce was very impressive against Dragon's, but by the same measure was very poor against us.

Reply #101381 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

The funny thing is that little joyce did NOTHING at the u20s where as a number of other guards in the comp did quite well.

So to get time you must have your old man coach, or just flat out suck!

Oh and as if he didnt get T'd up for his actions towards the referees after a foul he committed in the 3rd quarter against the Dragons.

Reply #101394 | Report this post

Pugsley  
Years ago

I still remember Daniel Joyce playing U16 State an the National Championships over here going back a few years. Wasn't that great then, isn't that great now.

Does anyone remember when he wa their waterboy, carrying drinks and shirts etc. at timeouts?

Reply #101445 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I think he's pathetic, should be gettin 10-15 minute tops, a backup PG to someone as good as cortez groves doesnt need that much time.

Reply #101446 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

there seemed to be the same said about Stephen Black when he first started for Perth with his dad Alan coaching.

Look at Stephen Black now

Did the Black Pearl ever coach CJ at NBL level?

Reply #101454 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

i think he did, and i'l bet you daniel joyce wont turn out anywhere near as good as stephen black. joyce does deserve some minutes to develop into a good player, but even black didnt get anywhere near 25-30 mins when he started.

Reply #101488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't one A.Gaze start out playing for his papa. I think he was averaging 20ppg hid first season tho.

Reply #101517 | Report this post

JP  
Years ago

Reply #101611 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

But these are guys that had talent! D Joyce has NO TALENT compared to those guys, and I don't think he will find any playing 25-30 minutes of liability basketball

Reply #101612 | Report this post

JP  
Years ago

Joyce played well in the ABA and supported John Phillip aka POPE who absolutely knocked everybodies socks off with his deft shooting ability and rebounding. Daniel Joyce is the apple of his Dad's eye and Daniel tries hard but cannot contribute from the shooting end, only weighing 78kg, he is 1.91cm tall and is too light to rebound effectively. So what can he do well, run the offence and pass the ball, Daniel is a ROOKIE and needs to learn how to shoot an effective jump shot in range for starters before he gets the 30 minutes a game.

Reply #101613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DANIEL JOYCE IS THE WORST PLAYER I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE. I KNOW HIS DAD IS THE COACH, BUT NBL, LETS BE SERIOUS

Reply #101640 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

"Did the Black Pearl ever coach CJ at NBL level?"

Yes, in his last coaching stint in Canberra.

Reply #101667 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

JP, could you please expand on your post, and in particular "played well"?

Reply #101685 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

#101640 and graeme Le... woteva - i agree totally.

Reply #101703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any development player in the league could become a superstar if their coach gave them enough time to find confidence on the court. obviously it helps being the coach's son, but with those minutes at 18 or 19, watch him become a superstar of the league in the next few years

Reply #102718 | Report this post

JULIE  
Years ago

The fact that Dan has reached this level in the NBL, has nothing to do with the fact that his father is the coach. He is proving himself, yet sad people like alot of you cant seem to give the kid a chance! If you look into his basketball experience Daniel is more than deserving in his place in Gold Coast Blaze.

He's extremely fast with the ball and is improving in his shots. He'll prove everyone wrong that ever doubted him the way they did Stephen Black.

Reply #157579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JULIE, are you Daniels mother, aunt, sister etc?

After watching the Purdue boilermakers play the GC Blaze at TSS last night I am convinced that he is the slowest and least threatening PG I have ever seen in the NBL or ABL.

He didnt look confident at all. He got at least 20 minutes and was given a variety of match ups, all of which he was exploited for being too weak and too slow.

Any coach would expect more from a backup PG that was tediously bringing the ball up court with a series of back turns (esp against a solid college trap) then wafering around near the half way line and calling the same play...THEN taking a wide uninspiring berth around a solid Melmeth pick only to lay the ball to him 1 metre outside the 3 point line and then re-assume his position near the safety of the half way line or camp in the corner to wait for the D to collapse so he can jack a 3.

Not saying he doesnt have potential or doesnt deserve a chance or even that I could do any better. But at that level you should have to earn what you are getting. Perhaps he is being thrown into the wrong position, maybe a spot up 2 or 3 man might be the go for him, but he will need to develop a scorers mindset and a stronger body.

ps Someone should tell him that muscles and heart make you look/play stronger...not tattoo's on twig like arms.

Yours truly

Another Anon

Reply #199085 | Report this post

Daniel Joyce is a joke of a player, Show's it is not what you know it is who you know. or in his case who's his daddy is.

As long as brendan is coaching he will keep a spot on his team for his precious little son,
lets just hope he doesn't get a head coaching position for Australia or else he will start putting Dan on before Patty Mills

Even at the hawks there own sponsers were telling Brendan to get him off the court. He does not deserve any court time what so ever in NBL there are ALOT of guards going around ABA that leave him for dead. If brendan gets the sack again $1000 say's dan won't get a run with another NBL team unless it's with his daddy's

That is all!

Reply #228732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:01 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754