Bo Hamburger
Years ago

USC recruit 14-year-old

Recruiting kids for college is undeniably cutthroat - but getting a verbal agreement from a 14yo who hasn't played a game of high school ball yet?

Link

The kid in question is a 6-6 guard. At age 14.

Which reminds me: I wonder how this little guy is going. He must be, like, six years old now - surely it's time he started giving Reebok a return on its investment?

Topic #9041 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

If that little kid ever becomes a good player, would he be able to play college ball?

I mean, technically, he's already a professional, so my guess is that he's kind of stuffed if he does eventually want to....

Reply #102023 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

A verbal means Jack, either party can recant without penalty...

Sounds like lots of news headlines aka promotion for the coming season.

Reply #102049 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Eh, verbal agreements to go to college aren't legally binding. He can still do whatever he wants. Good idea from the college, though, no skin off their nose and he might be a superstar.

Or he could be the next Michael Olowokandi.

Reply #102050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If hes not in high school he can get all the endorsements he wants. But as soon as he reaches high school it has to stop!!! Therefor he is still eligible for college... Or he can just go straight to the NBA!!!

Reply #102062 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

A verbal agreement is just as binding as a written agreement, but obviously harder to prove if disputed. The issue here is that a 14 Year old kid cannot come to an agreement of this kind.
the agreement means jack, but not because it is verbal.

Reply #102072 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here's an interesting article about the protocols of verbal agreements at the College level.

http://www.nbadraft.net/rabinowitz004.asp

Reply #102074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet the kid is from Sturt.

Reply #102075 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Sorry lockstock, a verbal is worth jack and is not enforceable under NCAA regs, the NLI is the legaly binding instrument....and until the kid graduates from HS he can't sign an NLI (an NLI can be signed by your parents on your behalf if you are under 18)...so the story is just so much smoke and promotion....

Reply #102115 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

fair enough Trex I wasn't aware of the regs. In any event a kid under 18 can't make an agreement of this type, verbal or written, as you alluded to in your post.. that's what I meant.

Reply #102146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754