McCornflake
Years ago

Ref's wages

Just wondering what the refs earnt per district game. I understand that this varies from game to game eg seniors and juniors. Also how does this compare with umpires in different sports?

Topic #9153 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juniors wages for district are Level 0 $8-, Level 1 $10 and Level 2 $12 ( I think). Seniors not sure about as my child is a only a level 1. They get a lot less for Mini-Ball too during the week. Dont know if its really enuf as they tend to get too much flak from idiot parents who dont know the rules and from some coaches who should know better. Drop out rates arent good and its about time parents etc realise that without the refs there would be no sports. Give them a go and let them learn without fear of the abuse they get too often.

Reply #103518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I run a social competition and I am paying just under $17/game and cant get any refs... its very frustrating to hear that they only get $12 a game for district

Reply #103561 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

I sense a loaded gun?
Young refs can earn more per hour than most multi-national fast food chains will pay them with the addedd bonus of work flexibility. Some sports do not pay umpires at all (Rowing, Hockey? tennis-poorly if at all). Others such as the football codes and cricket pay according to grades like b'ball. At the highest level Cricket Union & and League officials are required and remunerated enough to be full time. High ranking AFL Umpires who do all games in a season would gross 60-70K. I dont know the current game rate for an NBL ref but am certain that it is nowhere near rates for highest level footy and cricket.

Refs at local levels earn their money given that they are expected to manage the area that normally contains players, coaches and crowd and officials of varying knowledge & skill with a fair bit of emotional bias thrown in for good measure. In some ways it can be easier to ref b'all at a higher standard because player & coach game knowledge is better and most participants have a similiar skill level.
Good luck with a basketball crowd though - erratic at best and pretty close to the playing arena. However if a refs expects that spectators will exert pressures and is still able to concentrate on combining with the other officials to get the job done, then the real payoff is an increase in life skills. More valuable than any match payment.

Reply #103577 | Report this post

catherine  
Years ago

well i wonder what ref get paid too becasue they give up there time every single week to come out and umpire they shoul get paid lotes becasue they do lotes of work to ref from catherine beinke

Reply #107224 | Report this post

Sportyboy  
Years ago

as a ref i think the pay is crap but i love the game to much schools pay alot more if i was to ref for my school i could get $20 (pluse) if i do it by my self. the amount of crap we go through the pay anit worht it some of the time but some of us need the money and some of us just love the game to much to let it full apart.

Reply #110395 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

(#103561 where is this social competition, I will gladly ref for $17 a game!

Reply #110399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

email to
[email protected]

attn: Stadium Manager
if you are serious and a decent ref

Reply #110419 | Report this post

Sportyboy  
Years ago

social competition you get bugger all any way yer some places will pay $14 a game but if u want money as i said school basketball i know for a fact that caber people get $20 to $35 a game and they get like 2 to 4 matchs every sat.

and they way the social players play and the way the treat refs most of the time the pay dont seem worth it

Reply #110428 | Report this post

Sportyboy  
Years ago

**Cabra

Reply #110653 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754