Isaac
Years ago

Funny KG & Cornesy interview Maher

This evening on 5AA, KG and Cornesy interview Brett Maher on the day before what will be his 400th game.

Cornesy commented that Maher looked too young to have played 400.

Brett said that he'd never thought he'd get to his 400th game, and was happy to get the chance at even his first. His whole family will be there to watch and he's happy to reach the milestone.

Cornesy asked how he maintains his enthusiasm over such a long period and Maher answered that it was his competitive spirit and that he'll do anything not to lose, whether it was basketball or marbles.

KG asked him if he had any goals beyond such milestones and other features such as the Olympics.

Brett said that every year he obviously sets out with the team to win the championship, but that another goal is to play with a club overseas and it's not something that he's had the chance to do so far. He said that he will be considering his options at the end of the season and looks at Europe as being the most obvious choice. He said that it was worth checking out all the options, but that if it didn't eventuate, he'd be very happy to stay and finish his career in Adelaide.

KG commented that the Sixers were looking good in 2004/05.

Brett said that the team was looking a little off-track early, but had come together for what he said was their best start in a few years. He said that the team is pretty pumped so far and that the added role players (Rees, Cooper) were a decent advantage.

Cornesy asked him what he expected against the Pirates tomorrow night.

Maher said he expected a feisty game from a team who despite not looking strong on paper, were a viable opponent, having beaten the Tigers already.

Both KG and Cornesy congratulated Maher again and commented that he was a champion of the sport and a champion bloke.

Cornesy added that he hadn't been to the basketball yet this year as the club hadn't called him. KG says that he must be off the club's list.

I'm emailing them to offer my tickets if they want to go. (Yeah, they could afford their own, but they provide so much in the way of publicity that it's a good trade!)

Topic #921 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

Cool post - thanks for putting that up.

Interesting that both KG and Cornesy have said that they havnt gone to the games because they havnt been called by the club. Surely they can go out and buy their own tickets! What sort of crowds would we be getting to a game if the club had to personally invite everyone!
While I agree that they could give the game a lot of publicity I feel it a crappy attitude that they need to get free tickets to go to a game. If that was the case then Isaac you would have your own corporate box with the publicity that is generated by this site!
Oh well thats my thoughts - maybe im just in a crappy mood today as my tipping this week has sucked so far ;)

Reply #10144 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure, but Cornesy might've been a season ticket holder who was not contacted about re-signing? Who knows.

Those two cover a lot of sports where they can, but both obviously come from football backgrounds (plus some interest in cricket?). If you're from a less-known sport, you don't wait and hope they'll sign up; you send them out tickets and give them something to talk about on Monday afternoon. Hard to expect them to buy tickets to netball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc.

Anyway, they generally speak of basketball quite positively given the lower number of callers on the topic, and they're often interviewing Maher or Smyth, etc by phone.

[Mod: KG played Sheffield Shield for SA!]

Reply #10148 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Frankly, 5, 10 even 20 FREE Season Tickets , strategically placed in the hands of KEY sports media personnel just may help get MORE publicity and some "free banter" when these people are on their radio or TV shows!!

Admit it, they like being looked after, made to feel important, held in high esteem, and having their egos stroked. So stroke them and get some more banter happening on their shows, or is this too hard for people to understand?

Reply #10154 | Report this post

Kelly  
Years ago

KG and Cornsey are always happy to talk abut any topic on any sport that gets raised. You could ring up and talk about lawn bowls and they would probably respond to your question or discussion with enthusiasm. KG said the other day that he did not feel there was as much excitement around the Pura Cup cricket this year, and unfortunately, also the Adelaide 36ers. To generate some interest, and some discussion... call them! 8224 0000 between 4pm and 7pm weekdays.

Reply #10188 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

I agree about giving certain individual's tickets. This would take smart admin, which is something we don't have at this club. Ours is very narrow minded with little risk taking and which appears unfazed by the small crowd attendances to a great sport and even better stadium!

For gods sake, lower the ticket prices, get the atmosphere up, and ADVERTISE!

If no one rings through to shows such as KG and Cornsey, then the admin can do it, just to generate interest, no one has to know on the line that they work for the Sixers!!!

Reply #10217 | Report this post

got the fever  
Years ago

excuse me KG and Cornsey - tickets??

doesn't 5AA have a CORPORATE BOX at the dome - did last time I checked !!! ????

Reply #10237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 5AA box was empty tonight. As was the box that 5AA share with PWC.

The Boral box was also empty.

Reply #10246 | Report this post

got the fever  
Years ago

what was the crowd / atmosphere like tonight ?

Reply #10248 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Around about the same as last week.

Reply #10270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754